Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: JMD:1 Marshall Theatre Demo Settings List

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Feb 2011, 15:03

Hmm, they have the software so what we need is a communication interface to the chip (usb). I might have to look into that.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

bam_79
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby bam_79 » 11 Feb 2011, 19:34

If the amp can accept MIDI inputs i.e. The extra 29-128 preset locations that the manual refers to (extract below) why can't we get the values of stored presets exported as an output? Sounds like a technical possibility that was never put into design. No biggie though. It just would have been a handy way for people to share presets.

"MIDI
The JMD:1 can store and recall 128 presets via program
change commands received from its MIDI IN socket.
To Store - Dial in the tone you require, when happy, press
the Footswitch / MIDI Program switch twice, the LED will
flash until a valid MIDI program change command is
received. On reception of a MIDI program change
command the amplifier stores the current settings in the
MIDI program number received.
The JMD operates in OMNI mode; it will respond to MIDI
program change messages transmitted on any MIDI
channel.
To exit this mode without waiting for incoming MIDI data,
press the Footswitch / MIDI Program switch again."

guitarest
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Wounded Warrior Dogs
Has Liked: 470 times
Been liked: 621 times

Postby guitarest » 15 Feb 2011, 12:29

Hey Chris: I just modded your lead patch in the begining of the video (.19) to something closer to what I can use. It frigging rocks and your spreadsheet gave me a place to start at for my lead tone; thanks....

Jocko

Lights, knobs, switches, tolex
and other items of worthless junk

maiden666
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby maiden666 » 16 May 2011, 11:23

i have been trying to find a good blackmore tone and i think at 3.37 is a good rhythm tone for rainbow and deep puple blackmore era,any other blackmore tones!,cheers chris keep it up :beerme
Epiphone Zakk Wylde Bullseye lp
Mxr Zakk Wylde overdrive
Mxr Black Label Chorus
Greg Covington treble booster(for those queen moments)

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 16 May 2011, 14:33

Since the pickups have much to do with that sound you should find your own way with it based on your gear. The Blackmore sound isn't a complex and the JMD can do it. Start with something basic in the gain structure and tweak from there.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 18 Dec 2011, 05:51

Is it possible to increase the volume like a solo boost on the JMD!? I mean there is only one master volume and that is not programable.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Dec 2011, 06:25

Mats A wrote:Is it possible to increase the volume like a solo boost on the JMD!? I mean there is only one master volume and that is not programable.
The master is not programmable. What I would do with the amp to boost a setting is simply clone another exact setting and add some more preamp volume. Therefore with the JMD1 footswitch your solo boost would simply be a tap on the footswitch.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

cherrykwok
<25
<25

Postby cherrykwok » 20 Feb 2012, 23:45

Many thanks!
For more headphones tips you can come to HeartBeats wholesale beats justbeats

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 27 Feb 2012, 10:30

ebutoto wrote:Thanks for the tip and great job on the xls! Here's the response I got from Softube the other day:

We do have such software, but in order for it to work, you would need to do a readout of the onboard flash memory. That's a process which requires a lot of special equipment and cabling, and not something that the end-user would want to do. So unfortunately, I don't think that will happen.

Best regards,
Arvid
Hmmmm.. from reading the posts on this thread, I would guess the following:

1. The readout that Arvid noted in his reply is most likely a flash dump from the flash memory or microcontroller on the digital board. This dump is usually specific to the microcontroller used, and a special communications cable and software is necessary (again specific to the microcontroller manufacturer). You can get those cables and software, but using them is not at all recommended for a end user as you could easily wipe the unit's memory and programming that was placed in there during manufacturing. Also the cables usually cost $100 or more.

2. If Chris George has software that can dump his settings into any JMD anywhere in the world, if he was using the flash cable, he'd have to pull the unit apart every time this is done (not at all convenient). I doubt that he is doing this. In order for him to easily get his settings in a JMD, he'd have to use the ports supplied on the back panel. The ports that can access the internal processor would most likely be either the footswitch input, or more likely the midi ports.

If one would speculate, I'd guess that there is more to the midi implementation of the JMD than Marshall is telling us. There is probably a bulk sysex dump command in the JMD somewhere; and if that is so, you could use a simple midi dump program to get and send preset data to the JMD. There may also be a front panel button sequence to initiate a dump. Most other midi capable products work this way. Even the JMP-1 can do a sysex dump to save patches (it's right there in the manual).

Can you imagine programming 128 presets as mentioned in the JMD manual, then have a unit lockup, and after resetting be forced to reprogram all 128 presets from your memory? I'd be furious, and one could argue this would be irresponsible on Marshall's part. I would be very surprised if there isn't some sort of sysex dump in there somewhere; with a sysex dump you could restore all 128 saved presets in seconds.

And if you can send and receive preset data via sysex, you could possibly write a PC based patch editor to control the JMD. That would be cool and not too hard to whip up, if we just had the data.

Somewhere there has to be a midi implementation chart for the JMD. Where oh where can it be?!?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 27 Feb 2012, 10:37

I just used a piece of paper and a pencil, cheap enough and it allows me to remember my settings.
:bgrin

A USB interface would have been nice but I assume it would have added additional costs to the amp. The JMD1 is IMO a bargain and the paper and pencil trick works well.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

sgharp
<25
<25
Been liked: 1 time

Postby sgharp » 12 May 2012, 17:31

Hi Guys,

I've taken the list of presets offered above and put it into a spreadsheet. I hope this is of use to someone. Please let me know if you find any errors.

Enjoy....
Attachments
jmd1_presets.xlsx.zip
JMD:1 Presets
(13.16 KiB) Downloaded 400 times

bonedaddio
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby bonedaddio » 15 Aug 2012, 10:13

I'm new here, but this really caught my attention:
MKB wrote:
ebutoto wrote: 2. If Chris George has software that can dump his settings into any JMD anywhere in the world, if he was using the flash cable, he'd have to pull the unit apart every time this is done (not at all convenient). I doubt that he is doing this. In order for him to easily get his settings in a JMD, he'd have to use the ports supplied on the back panel. The ports that can access the internal processor would most likely be either the footswitch input, or more likely the midi ports........
.....Somewhere there has to be a midi implementation chart for the JMD. Where oh where can it be?!?
I totally agree: "Anywhere in the world" equals midi (most likely a sysex) dump/upload via the built-in midi ports. I've used plenty of midi gear, and some of it had 3rd party editors written by individuals (some of which were truly awesome, there's one for the FCB1010 foot controller IIRC).
YES!!! What is the "Secret Handshake" for the JMD???
Just asking because I have a new halfstack arriving this week, and picked up a wrecked JMD102 on FleaBay cause I like a project.
Les
Marshall Haze 40 watt, JMD102 "mutant" Combo, JMD1 100 watt head, 1960A Marshall Cabinet, Pre-CBS Fender Bassman Cabinet, "mutated"
Pedals, peddles, puddles, no poodles.
2010 Les Paul Pro Standard, 1994 PRS CE Bolt-on, 1964 Gibson "Les" G, 2011 PRS "Batcaster", etc. etc.

werther
<25
<25
Been liked: 1 time

Postby werther » 24 Aug 2012, 09:04

bam_79 wrote: An interface from Softube would be great but in the meantime - did you know that you can call up the position of each pot for any of your custom presets? I think this is in the manual but you simply call up a preset, turn the pots one at a time until the footswitch/midi program light glows steadily (NOT flashing). That tells you what position that particular pot was when you saved the preset. You can repeat the process for each pot to work out where all of the pots were for that custom preset and when you go through all of them, you will have all pots in same physical position they were at the time you saved them.
My manual does not state anything about this and when I have tried it, at no point did the footswitch/midi light start blinking to begin with. Does anybody have any more information as to how to do this?

Masakadja
<25
<25

Postby Masakadja » 14 Jun 2013, 11:41

bam_79 wrote:
ebutoto wrote:Hi, I'm a new JMD102 combo owner and this is my first post! I was wondering if anyone knows whether Softube will provide us with the means to extract the pot settings. As I've keep tweeking presets I'm finding it hard to remember exactly what I've done over time and I'd like share at some point. I'm wondering how Softube does this; perhaps they have a simple way of plugging in with a computer along with a utility.
An interface from Softube would be great but in the meantime - did you know that you can call up the position of each pot for any of your custom presets? I think this is in the manual but you simply call up a preset, turn the pots one at a time until the footswitch/midi program light glows steadily (NOT flashing). That tells you what position that particular pot was when you saved the preset. You can repeat the process for each pot to work out where all of the pots were for that custom preset and when you go through all of them, you will have all pots in same physical position they were at the time you saved them.

As a backup I keep an Excel spreadsheet on you tablet pc that tracks all of the different presets that I've made over time as well as those contributed to this very forum and those on the Japanese demos - http://www.marshallamps.jp/html_site/jm ... ta_en.html. Happy to share if anyone is interested.

Brett
My guide does not condition anything about this and when I have tried it, at no factor did the footswitch/midi mild begin flashing to begin with. Does anybody have any more details as to how to do this?

Woodhead
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby Woodhead » 14 Jun 2013, 15:15

turn on amp - set preset desired - turn any knob and the light for that preset flashes - turn knob till preset light stops flashing - knob is now at preset location - repeat with all knobs - knobs are all at your preset location when finished .
I know it's only rock and roll , but I like it .

Return to “Marshall JMD1”