Moderator: longfxukxnhair

spikei
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

mxr 10 band eq

Postby spikei » 28 Oct 2008, 16:04

just got one and tried it as a boost for solos and it works quite well, keep the input gain down and the output volume up and it boost enough for solos. i only play in three Peace and im the only guitar so not sure what it would be like in a metal band.
Marshall Vintage Modern Combo
Marshall JVM 215 Combo
Marshall JMD1 501 Combo
Marshall AVT 100 Combo
Marshall 1936 Cab
Gibson L P Studio
Fender Strat A Std
Fender Jv Squire Strat
Ibanez 59 Deluxe

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Nov 2008, 20:30

I am going to get rid of my MXR EQ and thry this new Paul Gilbrt pedal from Homebrew. So far I have their compressor but I am really digging what these guys are doing. The PG EQ pedal may be a much easier way to eq the amp. I am going to try one,
The Detox EQ is a three band EQ built around the ultra quiet and warm Burr Brown IC. All three bands are very musical and useful with no harsh or missing frequencies. Master output Level control allows the user to set the Detox at unity, boost or cut. True bypass, 9 volt battery or DC adapter operation. List Price: $159.00

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Bluesburst » 22 Nov 2008, 23:02

Hey SNW,

When do you plan on getting one?, I'd love to hear a review. I've tried a Boss GE-7 EQ (it was all I could get a hold of) and while it certainly broadened the range of my 2266, the actual quality is patchy.

The Detox is actually the sort of pedal I was looking for for my VM. I just find the VM a little harsh at lower volumes, and get tones that are either too muddy or sharp, I'm hoping this might be the go to get an easy way of getting a better tone at low volumes.
As crazy as it sounds, I keep trying to get what I'm looking for from the VM but I keep finding it in the Marshall AVT 50. I want SO badly to love my VM...

I bought my VM for a project that didn't work out so at the moment it is purely a home amp and I'm trying to find a way to use it as such yet retain it as a fire breathing beast (i.e NO PEDALS) cranked up for live work down the track. I've had it going flat out at home and the tone is awesome.

Greedy little sucker ain't I, wanting the best of both worlds... :P
Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 23 Nov 2008, 03:42

They are hard to find right now but should be hitting the market hard after the first of the year, this is a brand new pedal. I have one ordered but it might be another month before I get it. To me this seems easier than moving the sliders in each frequency.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 23 Nov 2008, 07:24

One of the criteria Paul specified for this pedal was that it must be very low noise because that was the main problem he had with other EQ brands. :wink:

Should be a very usable EQ indeed!

Simpler is always better. :)

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Nov 2008, 08:59

That EQ looks interesting to me also. Would be quite useful if you play multiple guitars also. Let us know when you get it Surf.
I seem to recall Homebrew being located in Glendale (AZ) which is just down the road from me. I don't think they sell direct but I may look them up to see what happens.

Here is a link to Paul describing how he uses it, interesting: http://www.racerxband.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=16463

Bluesburst,

Try the Xotic RC Booster. Seriously. :wink:

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Bluesburst » 23 Nov 2008, 18:00

SteveD wrote:One of the criteria Paul specified for this pedal was that it must be very low noise because that was the main problem he had with other EQ brands. :wink:

Should be a very usable EQ indeed!

Simpler is always better. :)
Eeeexceeellleeent!!! (In best Monty Burns voice)

Sounds like it may be the go, it's a pity the layout isn't more "amp like" with the 4 dials all side by side.

I'll have to have a look at the Xotic RC Booster also.
Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

Return to “Guitar Effects”