Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Johnh
<25
<25
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Hardwire pedals for a Vintage Modern

Postby Johnh » 04 Aug 2017, 21:39

Im on a bit of retro kick of discontinued gear from about 5 or 6 years ago. I've realised the new gear I wanted then is getting rarer by the month!

So happy with my VM2266c. To go with it, Im upgrading my pedals and Ive always been very impressed by the solid design and tone of the Hardwire pedals by Digitech. I now have a CM2 overdrive in front and its my best OD by far. Also, I just put a DL8 delay in the loop. Both are nice improvements on earlier Digitech versions that I have (Bad Monkey and Digi-delay).

I need reverb! The VM has a nice subtle plate sim, but I need more..much more....

The Hardwire RV7's seem tk have become unobtainable over the last year. But Ive ordered a Supernatural Hardwire reverb. It should arrive next week. I was impressed by reports of excellent basic spring and plate settings , but with awesome spacey ambient modes too.

Those 3 Hardwires seem like the pick of the bunch. Unless I decide that I also need the chorus as well .....

Anyone with similar experiences?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 3368 times
Been liked: 5626 times

Re: Hardwire pedals for a Vintage Modern

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Aug 2017, 06:12

You are correct that the Hardwire pedals are really good with any amp. The Supernatrual is far better than the RV7. The one I would add is the Hardwire Chorus, the Multi Chrous on it is great.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast'

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 561 times
Been liked: 453 times

Postby SteveD » 05 Aug 2017, 06:55

The Supernatural reverb is so good that I actually use it as an extra reverb stereo FX bus on my Qu16, on the plate setting. Sounds great!
Still my guitar gently weeps

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 05 Aug 2017, 18:42

Thanks for those responses.

Yes, I can see Ill need(want) that chorus!

I think my plan for this pedal board will be to start with one buffer since I like the sound of guitar with just a 10' cable loading it. This could be in a Boss tuner or my OD3 which has a great tone with the VM. Then the CM2 overdrive into the amp. Chorus, delay/looper and SN reverb will be in the loop. Ill use the amps reverb for small amounts and the SN for the big 'verbs. With all that, I should be able to set up a range of tones that I need without much knob twiddling except maybe to engage the more ambient reverbs in place of basic plate or spring. Everything thing else can be preset and controlled with the foot pedals including using tap-tempo on the delay when needed. But when I want to experiment, I get all the controls available.

This will suit me better than the alternative of dealing with all the patches in a processor, which works fine but gets me annoyed sometimes.

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 09 Aug 2017, 13:19

I have three of these going now, the overdrive CM-2, DL-8 delay and CR-7 chorus. They all sound great but there's a couple of quirks:

The Cm-2 overdrive is one of a late batch that is labelled 'Tube Distortion'. But its definitely the sage-green overdrive and apparently this was a known 'typo' - no biggie.

But it has one electrical issue: When these pedals lose power, they are supposed to release their internal relays so that the default unpowered mode is passive bypass. ie, you can play through with no effect but no signal loss. The delay and chorus do this but the CM-2 lets nothing through unless it has power, like a Boss pedal. With power, its fine, you can hear the relay softly clicking and I believe that it is working with proper passive bypass. Its almost as if on my pedal (and anyone else's?), the bypass mode is the one with the relay powered, so with power lost, the relay is in the wrong position - Mildly annoying.

The chorus and delay are in the loop. the tones are great, but the chorus picks up a small but significant amount of noise when externally powered, but the delay does not do this. This is when using the good 2A Boss power source intended for pedals, and it occurs however many other pedals are powered or connected, or no others. The chorus is first, getting signal from the amp 'send'.

On the VM, this issue seems to be helped by switching to the high loop level, which relatively suppresses this noise, but I'm hoping to find a fix instead. The higher internal voltage of the Hardwires seems able to cope with a higher input signal, but I haven't fully explored. I might try something buffered before the chorus.

My Supernatural Reverb should arrive today...

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 10 Aug 2017, 05:34

The SN reverb came! - O yeah! Such a nice unit. Its perfect, and SO black. There are perfectly credible normal reverb settings that are easy to find, with Spring and Plate at each end of the dial, then all the others in between that can go from subtle to way 'out there'. I love it.

The whole Hardwire pedal system works well togther. Done.

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 01 Sep 2017, 16:08

Done...

...Ok, not quite done!

4 pedals are now 6. I added an SC2 distortion and a TR7 trem/vibe/rotary.

The SC2 is in line with the CM2 overdrive at the amps front end. It definitely fits into the same tonal soundscape but extends the range into higher gain and brighter crunch. General output levels are a bit less than the CM2 but still plenty of level available. It has a similar format with a mode switch to change up the gain structure and bass/treble tone controls. No doubt one could work perfectly fine with just one of these two, which would probably be the overdrive. But both are nice to have to preset two sounds.

The TR7 came the other day, and it is a very pleasant surprise with several modulation settings in addition to three basic trem sounds taken from Boss, Fender and Vox. The Leslie, Univibe and vibro pan settings, in conjunction with a modify knob, extend towards phaser and chorus sounds. There are extreme and usefully subtle settings available which will make this a pedal with multiple uses.

Given two time pedals (delay and verb), each with modulations, plus the trem and chorus pedals, I'm working on trying not to want a Phaser pedal too. The trouble is, these Hardwire pedals are so consistent and nice. They are the only range to have ever out-Bossed the Boss pedals, in terms of solid and consistent construction and performance, with the added benefit of true bypass available. Plus, as I have found, they work fine in a loop at line level due to their high voltage operation. The current Digitech's look great but they are much more $ and don't cover the basics quite so well or so consistently in one range IMO.

If that idea settles down, I'm then planning a board to mount them onto. It will be 2x4 format to hold 8, including the 6 Hardwires, a Boss tuner at the front (to get one buffer), and a guest slot for subbing in other pedals. I'm running everything with an 8x daisy chain off a Boss power supply which seems to deal quietly with the whole set. For the interconnects, having a consistent case format gives the option of using compact male/male jack couplers, so I have a bunch of those coming to try them.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 Sep 2017, 18:12

The nice thing about all those Hardwire pedals is you can run stereo. But take your time experimenting where you put them in the chain, there is no wrong or right way, just do what sounds best to you.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 01 Sep 2017, 23:20

Yes I'm looking forward to trying out stereo. I'm getting enough connectors to run the stereo chain through the FX loop. Then ill try putting the second channel into my DSL401 FX return.

In the loop, I'm starting with chorus and then delay, then trem (reckoning I want the warble of the trem not confused by then having delayed versions of it following if both are on), then reverb last.

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 26 Sep 2017, 01:24

Damn! I had to get an Sp7 Hardwire phaser too. BTW, Gear4music.com in the UK are blowing them out for 44pounds inc UK shipping. When I enwuired, for a
nother 10 and they'll ship overseas. Now I have the full set, except the metal distortion (not my thing) and the tuner (rather use Boss).

Since all these pedals are the same shape, they can be connected compactly using male/male plugs. I have Chorus, Phaser, Delay, Trem and Reverb like that in my loop now, with drive and dustortion in front preceded by a tuner.

Ths phaser covers all the expected versions with 2, 4 and 10 stages, and some other interesting variations. Theres a particularly nice one where the LFO is triggered by your playing, like an auto-wah.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Sep 2017, 18:04

Well that makes your board look neat as all the pedals would be the same size. You sure have a lot of options now.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 28 Sep 2017, 14:31

I plan to build a board, in two sections for those in the loop and those in front.

The 5 fx loop pedals (mods, delay and reverb) are all linked in stereo with pairs of male/male plugs. They need to be tied down firmly to a board though since without something rigid under, the whole contraption, although very neat, cant be picked up safely without stressing the plugs. The other board will have up to 4 pedals linked by patch cables so other makes can be included. It will be tuner, 2xHardwire drives and a spare slot.

Last night I tried it all as a stereo rig for the first time. Yeah! It all sounds so much bigger, even at late-night volume. Input went through the VM combo, then after the FX loop, the second output from reverb at the end of the chain went over to my DSL401 FX return, driving V30's in combo and cab beneath.

This weekend will be loud!

Johnh
<25
<25

Postby Johnh » 09 Feb 2018, 02:48

I wanted to show this board which I recently made for my Digitech Hardwire collection, which were aquired last year.

The current order is: top row Boss Od3 (acts as buffer when off), then Hardwire tuner, overdrive, distortion and metal. At the far top left is a guest slot, currently with a Marshall Guv'nor. The top row goes into the amp front end. Theres alsk a red germanium fuzz first-in-line, off board.

The lower row are all in the loop, all Hardwire, linked by stereo couplers, right to left; trem/rotary, phasor, chorus, delay and SN reverb.

The board is painted ply , drilled so that pedals can be fixed down with cable ties. The upper level is an Aluminium extrusion, raised slightly. A Roland power supply is mounted beneath and connected by a daisy-chain wire.

The board sits on two rails that let it fit neatly on top of either of my amps (VM2266c and DSL401), if not on the floor.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 09 Feb 2018, 05:24

Looks great, those Hardwire pedals are all very good. Happy to see the Supernatrual on that board, love that pedal.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Return to “Guitar Effects”