Woody81
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Order of Effects

Postby Woody81 » 03 Sep 2012, 10:21

Hey,

Recently, I've found myself gradually becoming more interested in using pedals...

I'm completely unsure about the order I should be putting the effects in, and what should/shouldn't go through an effects loop (where possible).

I use a Boss TU-3 Tuner, a Dunlop Cry-Baby, a Wampler Faux-Tape Echo, and a Wampler Ecstacy.

I'm about to get a Fulltone Octafuzz, a Boss Loop Station, and a Fulltone Mini-Deja Vibe.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Phil

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Order of Effects

Postby surfnorthwest » 03 Sep 2012, 10:34

Woody81 wrote:Hey,

Recently, I've found myself gradually becoming more interested in using pedals...

I'm completely unsure about the order I should be putting the effects in, and what should/shouldn't go through an effects loop (where possible).

I use a Boss TU-3 Tuner, a Dunlop Cry-Baby, a Wampler Faux-Tape Echo, and a Wampler Ecstacy.

I'm about to get a Fulltone Octafuzz, a Boss Loop Station, and a Fulltone Mini-Deja Vibe.

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Phil
There are no hard rules, every chain with your pedals, guitar, and amp is different. I can place them in a starting order and from there you will have to do some swapping if a pedal sounds like crap.

Guitar
Tuner
Wah
Deja vibe
Octafuzz
Extacy
Tape Echo in the loop
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Skos
<25
<25
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 0

Postby Skos » 03 Sep 2012, 10:56

surfnorthwest wrote:
Woody81 wrote:Hey,

Any help is appreciated.

Best regards
Phil
There are no hard rules, every chain with you pedals, guitar, and amp is different. I can place them in a starting order and from there you will have to do some swapping if a pedal sounds like crap.

Guitar
Tuner
Wah
Deja vibe
Octafuzz
Extacy
Tape Echo in the loop
Yes im think the same, its a good idea.

bonedaddio
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby bonedaddio » 03 Sep 2012, 14:09

I agree with the proposed order, except IIRC Hendrix sometimes put the fuzz first in front of the wah. I have fooled around with this, and it does give you some crazy control using the guitar volume pot. Think "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" intro and intro lead where you can hear the guitar volume and distortion "swell" up after the wah intro. I'd suggest at least trying the fuzz first and playing with the volume knob of the guitar.

Les
Marshall Haze 40 watt, JMD102 "mutant" Combo, JMD1 100 watt head, 1960A Marshall Cabinet, Pre-CBS Fender Bassman Cabinet, "mutated"
Pedals, peddles, puddles, no poodles.
2010 Les Paul Pro Standard, 1994 PRS CE Bolt-on, 1964 Gibson "Les" G, 2011 PRS "Batcaster", etc. etc.

Bailz
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 15 times

Postby Bailz » 04 Sep 2012, 03:53

bonedaddio wrote:I agree with the proposed order, except IIRC Hendrix sometimes put the fuzz first in front of the wah. I have fooled around with this, and it does give you some crazy control using the guitar volume pot. Think "Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)" intro and intro lead where you can hear the guitar volume and distortion "swell" up after the wah intro. I'd suggest at least trying the fuzz first and playing with the volume knob of the guitar.
+1.

My experience is that fuzzes can and do sound better in front of the wah. A lot of them don't like the buffers in wahs and end up sounding like ass. My red Fuzz Face was the same after my Vox wah.

Doc Holliday
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 107 times
Been liked: 469 times

Postby Doc Holliday » 04 Sep 2012, 13:29

I actually have my proctavia before my Wah. I like the way it interacts more. I have had the vibe before my Wah too in past, kenny Wayne style. Although if it has the buffer inside activated rather than true bypass it can limit the wahs sweep I found. Again as said, it's what works for you.
Gibson 58 Historic les Paul
Tokai love rock gold top Les Paul
Fender reverse headstock strat
Tokai TV yellow Les Paul special
Tokai TV yellow DC les Paul
Gibson SG Jr

Gibson 1955 GA-5 jr
Gibson 1955 GA-7 special
Gibson1960 skylark
Gibson 1961 skylark w/trem
Silvertone 1963 1481
Gibson 1957 GA-6