Moderator: longfxukxnhair

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

My first fuzzy type pedal, odd creature it is

Postby lowenzz » 06 Jun 2009, 21:58

Well I just picked up this box called a Fender Blender. This is supposedly a reissue from the late 60's. Well thats what the lit in the box indicates. I didn't even know what it was when I was looking in the display. The owner walks by me and comments "That thing has been here too damn long, I'm sick of staring at it. If you buy it today, I'll sell it for $25.00"

Well, I will take any pedal, just about, new in the box or otherwise for $25.00 friggin bucks. Just a tiney little shop that deals mostly with band rentals, violins, woodwinds, etc. I am not a regular guy at this place, not even close. Don't know the guys there at all. I found this highly odd. Box was marked for $220.00. Needless to say I picked it up, if nothing else for trade fodder down the line.

Well a short review is in order, Now I have never played with a fuzz of any sorts and this thing is wierd, fun but wierd. The cord jacks are oriented wrong. Cool thunbscrew to open it up for battery access, whole pedal is hinged and when open shows all the circuitry and such. Construction seems to be top notch, damn near hand wired, all analog, not chips that I can find. It pops a hair sometimes a little, so I am guessing true bypass on it. Big ginormous CTS looking pots, and metal jacks. There is a printed circuit board, but it appears to be handwired with flying leads from the pots, switchs and jacks. NO stinkin Led's, although I could add some easy enough if I really need it.

Playing through my VM in low range on the edge of breakup, both the volume and saturation (gain) need to be cranked to be at unity gain.
The tone knob has a huge range and is very sensitive to minor adjustments. The blend knob brings in a sort of clean signal, seems to help with clarity sorta. It has a second toggle that seems to be a gain boost and eq shift in one. Really opens up the sounds and brightens it as well. Makes unity gain alot easier to access as well.

This thing can the ability to get way outa control, feedback insanity is fun, This thing can get quite "splatty" as well. The cool things seem to been with the blender knobs mostly maxed out and the guitars volume rolled back, while using a neck pickup. Gets sorts a Smashing Pumpiks type thing is the best comparison I can come up with.

It alos has some interesting overtone type things that seem to work with 2 noth chords really nicely. Now this next part is talking out my arse, because I dont know music thearoy much at all, BUT, this the overtones seem like they are in a consistent partial octave thing, or like say for example a perfect 3rd. I don't know how to describe this accuraltely. Certain harmoic comboations of notes sound good, others sound awfull, some 3 nothe chords sound cool, very cool, I was hunting around doing strange chord shapes and some actually worked. Maybe this thing has ring mod or octavia type tech inside.

I couldn't tell you if this is a BigMuff type or what, but it's fun. I will say this much, this thing got to play in a defferent style trying to figure out different ways to use it. So consider me somewhat inspired :Bounce Sheesh only $25.00 new in the box.

If any one has tried one of these please clue me in on what this may be similar to, or is it just its own creature.

Thanks, Low

Oh and let me add that my Retro-sonic Phaser sounds friggin awesome with the Blender. Turns it all into some sorta of rasy sweepy pulsey auto-filter thing. Way cool with the phase going.
"Just got paid today, Got me a pocket full of change",Rev BFG

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: My first fuzzy type pedal, odd creature it is

Postby LivewireBlanco » 06 Jun 2009, 23:34

Sounds like the Tonebender from Fulltone. Might be a reissue of what they base theirs off of. Sweet find! :clap
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 07 Jun 2009, 07:38

That is a bargain!!!
Cool pedal i believe it also has a ringmoudulator built inside.
This pedal is very popular for indie rock.Very wild pedal.
:Thumbs good deal.
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jun 2009, 09:41

I would eBay it and get another pedal you want, they go for about $99 used and about $199 new. I hate fuzz pedals. :deney

[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lowenzz » 07 Jun 2009, 11:40

surfnorthwest wrote:I would eBay it and get another pedal you want, they go for about $99 used and about $199 new. I hate fuzz pedals. :deney

[youtube][/youtube]
Ooooohhhh I think big chief dark cloud needs a hug :tounge

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jun 2009, 12:09

:laugher :truce
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 1 time

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 12 Jun 2009, 20:14

Billy Corgan is a big fan of that pedal. Looks like you got a deal.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

lowenzz
Gold Member
Gold Member

Postby lowenzz » 18 Jun 2009, 16:24

Well after living with the Blender for awhile, I can honestly say this is so not for me. I'm not sure how close this is to other fuzz type pedals or if this thing is an oddball. But I have played with it alot and honestly can't find a use for it other than just wierd spastic white noise type thing.

Marshall VM2266 Head
425B cab G12C's

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 18 Jun 2009, 20:02

If you want a good Silcone Fuzz type I think the Lovepedal Dragon, MXR Classic 108 is more what you are looking for, if you want Germanium I would look into the MJM Faze uses, I tried the much hyped Monsterpiece ones and wasn't that impressed unfortunately. I personally love Fuzz Pedals. If you want an octave effect the Catalinbread Ottava Magus is great.

Return to “Guitar Effects”