Moderator: longfxukxnhair

StratLover
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Lovepedal Purple Plexi vs. Z-Vex Box of Rock

Postby StratLover » 29 Jun 2009, 22:44

Both of these pedals are the claimed "plexi in a box" pedals. Currently, I run a Big Ben (by Vox) in front of my Vintage Marshall, and while the tones are surreal, I feel it could use a little more juice. Both these pedals have had rave reviews, and I was wondering if any one had some experience with either (or better yet, both). I would like to approximate some Zep tones, and right now with my G&L the amp stays pretty much crystal clean, even when cranked. So keep in mind we're working with a basically clean base tone
SIGNAL CHAIN: G$L Legacy>Tonebone Hot British>Vox Big Ben Overdrive>Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster>Peterson Strobo Stomp>Marshall Vintage Modern 2466

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Lovepedal Purple Plexi vs. Z-Vex Box of Rock

Postby Kongels » 30 Jun 2009, 01:27

My vote would be for Lovepedal but only because I have a COT 50, Eternity and Dragon which I think are all great, Z-Vex makes great stuf as well.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 30 Jun 2009, 09:29

StratLover wrote:Both of these pedals are the claimed "plexi in a box" pedals. Currently, I run a Big Ben (by Vox) in front of my Vintage Marshall, and while the tones are surreal, I feel it could use a little more juice. Both these pedals have had rave reviews, and I was wondering if any one had some experience with either (or better yet, both). I would like to approximate some Zep tones, and right now with my G&L the amp stays pretty much crystal clean, even when cranked. So keep in mind we're working with a basically clean base tone
lovepedal makes excellent pedals .I have had the COT 50 but that one did not suit me
I have the zvex box of rock and in low range it is the best pedal i ever came across .
The demo from zvex on you tube is pretty accurate.It gives the sound of a JTM 45 cranked,
It can give alot of crowl but not big amount of drive so for blues or classic rock that is excellent.
I also have a handwired JTM 45 with KT66 tubes and the sound is scaringly close.I am not sure but
when i heard the demo of lovepedal purple plexi i thought it had alot of drive ( more rocksounds)
Listen to demos on you tube . For me the best pedal sofar in low range :Thumbs
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

StratLover
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby StratLover » 30 Jun 2009, 10:41

bluesbrother wrote:
StratLover wrote:Both of these pedals are the claimed "plexi in a box" pedals. Currently, I run a Big Ben (by Vox) in front of my Vintage Marshall, and while the tones are surreal, I feel it could use a little more juice. Both these pedals have had rave reviews, and I was wondering if any one had some experience with either (or better yet, both). I would like to approximate some Zep tones, and right now with my G&L the amp stays pretty much crystal clean, even when cranked. So keep in mind we're working with a basically clean base tone
lovepedal makes excellent pedals .I have had the COT 50 but that one did not suit me
I have the zvex box of rock and in low range it is the best pedal i ever came across .
The demo from zvex on you tube is pretty accurate.It gives the sound of a JTM 45 cranked,
It can give alot of crowl but not big amount of drive so for blues or classic rock that is excellent.
I also have a handwired JTM 45 with KT66 tubes and the sound is scaringly close.I am not sure but
when i heard the demo of lovepedal purple plexi i thought it had alot of drive ( more rocksounds)
Listen to demos on you tube . For me the best pedal sofar in low range :Thumbs
How is the boost on the box of rock? If I had this pedal, It would be the last pedal in my chain, so I could use the boost on it for a solo boost. Is it fairly transparent? I don't trust Youtube videos when it comes to boosts :doh
SIGNAL CHAIN: G$L Legacy>Tonebone Hot British>Vox Big Ben Overdrive>Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster>Peterson Strobo Stomp>Marshall Vintage Modern 2466

StratLover
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby StratLover » 30 Jun 2009, 11:33

Well, I think I am going to go with the Box of Rock. After looking at the Purple Plexi even more, I realized there was too much gain packed in there for me. Now, to get 200+ dollars. . .

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 30 Jun 2009, 13:38

How is the boost on the box of rock? If I had this pedal, It would be the last pedal in my chain, so I could use the boost on it for a solo boost. Is it fairly transparent? I don't trust Youtube videos when it comes to boosts :doh[/quote]

It is a very powerfull boost so i set it fairly low.The fun part is that the boost is after the distortion so it will not
give more drive but it will give more nastiness.The boost at high settings can turn low range into overdrive and
that is never transparent :bgrin
A JTM45 is very bass heavy and has a thicker sound.So with my Vernet(jtm45) i do not like it because the amp
is already bassheavy with alot of sag.With that amp i like : les paul>>treblebooster> normal channel /low input VernetFLV45
The pedal sounds amazing in low range of the vintage modern. I have had hundreds of pedals and tried even more ..in my
humble opinion i find this the best pedal to use in low range. In high range i think it sounds best when no pedals are used
( only a pickupbooster for solos).The higain in high range i can get on the vernet(jtm45) to use the high input and volume
on 7 and boost it with a overdrive or fuzz (volume 2oclock/gain 10 oclock.)
Lets us know how you like it...........(right now i am the only one that is flabbergasted by this pedal :blues )
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

StratLover
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby StratLover » 30 Jun 2009, 13:48

I was just hoping that it would not really alter EQ, as most other boosters I have used. I own that Seymour Duncan Pickup booster, and everytime I turn it on, it just adds an assload of treble. Some would be nice, to cut through a little, but it's kind of an overload.

Return to “Guitar Effects”