Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Riffraff
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 17 times

MXR M108

Postby Riffraff » 06 Jul 2009, 11:25

I recently ordered one of these little babies to try out. I haven't had a lot of time to experiment with it yet but so far I'm liking what it does when plugged into the front end in LDR mode. I thought I would use it for tone shaping in the loop but I think I like it this way better. Too soon to tell. I can see a lot of uses for it. I was also going to try it as a volume cut in the loop and kick it out for a lead boost. Has anybody played around with one of these, if so what were your favorite applications/settings?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: MXR M108

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Jul 2009, 19:19

It should work great, try it as the last pedal in your chain. I think a eq is one of the most important pedals you can have with the VM. If you find you do not like it then try the new Homebres Detox EQ, I love mine.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Riffraff
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Riffraff » 07 Jul 2009, 05:34

I saw that you dumped yours and went with the one you mentioned because of the parametric controls. Are you using yours in front or in the loop after your time based effects? I like using it with a mid boost frown to push the front end. The separate volume and gain controls are interesting. It actually makes a damn nice boost pedal. I've never owned an EQ pedal before. The only time I ever used equalization was in rack effects. I've yet to get a chance to try it out at higher volumes for any length of time. I really need to spend some time with it to find it's sweet spots. I was able to dial in a pretty good single coil tone for my RG520QSB. It's split coil humbucker sounds were never that great but the EQ lets me dial them right in.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jul 2009, 05:49

I run my entire chain in front, the Homebrew Detox is the last pedal. I really like it because it can be used many different ways unlike the MXR.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Riffraff
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Riffraff » 07 Jul 2009, 12:46

Three tone controls and a gain knob, well that certainly does look a hell of a lot easier to use. How do you like it?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jul 2009, 19:59

How do you like it
So far I think it is great, the MXR while good will add a bit of noise where the detox does not. All Homebrew pedals are true bypass also. You can set the volume to equal your amp and shape your tone (this is how I use it) or use it as a boost with a eq. The way Paul Gilbert uses it is as a clean cut, which means instead of rolling back on your guitars volume to clean up the signal he simply uses the detox to do this for him. So it is a bit more versitle than the MXR. The three tone controls keep the eq simple and each have enough gain to be useful.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Riffraff
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Riffraff » 09 Jul 2009, 12:23

That's one of the things I wanted to try with the MXR since it has separate volume and gain controls. It seems to me it would work well for this but I haven't tried it yet. My problem is I commute 4 hours a day so it's pretty late by the time I get home. Lately weekends are the only time I get a chance to play and that time is shared with landscaping duties, grocery shopping and what little time I set aside to get out for a ride on the scooter.

Responsibilities.... :smash ....who needs them!

njdibanez
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby njdibanez » 26 Oct 2009, 02:57

I use mine in the effects loop...LOADS quieter (no hiss.)

Return to “Guitar Effects”