Moderator: longfxukxnhair

StratLover
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Pretty cool doodad. . .

Postby StratLover » 20 Jul 2009, 12:40

My father and I stopped by at a fairly local music store, just to check it out and see if there was anything new, interesting, whatever. They had the Paul Gilbert Airplane Flanger, which one of the clerks who is an acquaintance said I had to try. I did, and while cool, it was utterly useless (although it did have a good basic flange sound). The owner of the store, who I have talked to on a few occasions, said "if you REALLY want wierd, you gotta check this out. . ." He went to his office and returned with a small, MXR-sized box, unpainted, with 5 green knobs and an LED. We hooked it up, and turns out it was a fuzz/delay/modulator. The fuzz circuit was basically the innards of a Smokey Pocket amp stuffed in there, and sounded pretty good for a gnarly, messy fuzz. The delay was very limited, with a pretty short max time, and with no feedback loop, resulting in only one repeat. The modulator portion of the pedal was the interesting part. There was one knob, determining the type of modulation, and another shaping the sensitivity. When set in the right spot, you could pick softly and have no modulation on the delays, but if you really spanked it it would go crazy. Detuning, sputtering, you name it, it did it.

You could also, of course, turn off any aspect. You coul blend in the delay/modulator, and turn the modulator knobs all the way down to just have delay. Or turn the blend off completely, and just have fuzz. There was no fuzz level though, which is not a problem with me.

Of course, I had to have it. It cleans up VERY nicely too. Great little pedal.
SIGNAL CHAIN: G$L Legacy>Tonebone Hot British>Vox Big Ben Overdrive>Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster>Peterson Strobo Stomp>Marshall Vintage Modern 2466

Return to “Guitar Effects”