Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Boogie-Man
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Paul Gilbert pedals with VM

Postby Boogie-Man » 10 Aug 2009, 06:06

I really like the crunch and lead tones Paul Gilbert is getting out of his VM and have recently seen some pics of his pedal board wich includes (amongst others) a Fulltone OCD, an Xotic AC booser, an RC booster and also a Homebrew Bajo boost.
Does anyone use these pedals with their VM, and which should I look at buying first to try and get that singing lead tone paul has? How do the pedals all differ?

Thanks!

BM

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Paul Gilbert pedals with VM

Postby surfnorthwest » 10 Aug 2009, 20:20

I think his current pedal board maybe different than the one you listed. I own his signiture EQ pedal from Homebrew called the Detox which is a EXCELLENT pedal with the VM, you can use it so there is not such a volume jump between low/high range. It really also gives the VM a stronger eq curve to play with.

For what its worth I absolutly love what Homebrew is doing with their pedals, I own the Frostbite, CPR and the Detox and absolutly think they are great, very underrated pedals mainly because they are still largely unknown. Check them out.

http://www.homebrewelectronics.com/products.htm
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Supernaught
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Postby Supernaught » 11 Aug 2009, 07:57

If you could post a specific album/song with the tone you like Id be able to tell you what he's using for it. He's released two albums so far using the Vintage Modern, each with a different OD, and he's done several tours alongside them, once again with different pedals.

His main od tone comes purely from the amp, the pedals are just for a boost in volume and a little gain. His settings for his OCD for example make very little difference to the tone, just adds a little richness.

The HBE Detox eq is used in a "reduction" setting, ie. he has it set at negatives, and kicks it on to produce a clean tone in the same way that rolling down the guitars volume works. He just used the pedal to get an exact drop rather than the random element that can happen whilst trying to play, jump around on stage and roll off the guitar volume all at the same time. :jam
Fender Strat (Bare Knuckle Custom '62 pickups), Gibson Les Paul Standard T 2016, Ibanez PGM301, Dean ML, Dean Razorback,
Marshall 2266c
Marshall 2266 half stack
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I

Boogie-Man
<25
<25

Postby Boogie-Man » 12 Aug 2009, 07:15

Hi Supernaught,

I like the lead tones he gets on this Youtube clip where he shows how to play his new tracks off the Silence Before a Deafening Roar album. (About 5:30 in)
In fact I like all the tones he gets on the whole albumn. The intro to Eudaimonia Overture sounds great as does that crunch sound for the intro of Norwegian Cowbell.

Any suggestions would be great!

Btw the video shows only an OCD and a SoulBender on his pedal board.

I was going to get an OCD pedal, an AC booster and mabe mod my Boss SD-1 to Keely 5 star specs. Do you think its also worth a clean boost like the RC Booster or the Greer Amplification Sonic Boom?

Thanks!

Supernaught
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Supernaught » 12 Aug 2009, 08:40

Like I said, an OCD doesnt really add much besides volume and a little gain boost. The tone stays pretty much the same with it on and off. I made a Youtube vid a while ago using Pauls settings on the VM and the OCD. I seem to have deleted the vid but Ill try get another one up for you. There was very little actual tone difference.

The single biggest element to Pauls sound on SFBADR is his Ibanez Fireman and Vintage Modern. With my Ibanez 301 and VM I can get pretty close.

He often uses a compressor live to bring his solos up.

I wouldnt bother getting more than one pedal to try and get his sound, as its all from the guitar and amp. Id personally go for the OCD, as you can use it for a lot more than just a boost, which you wouldnt have with the AC booster or Baja Mos.

I made this clip at bedroom level, you can tell its almost there, just doesnt have any kind of body due to not being cranked to 8!! Its not too far off though, and its just the guitar and amp, no OD.

[youtube][/youtube]
Fender Strat (Bare Knuckle Custom '62 pickups), Gibson Les Paul Standard T 2016, Ibanez PGM301, Dean ML, Dean Razorback,
Marshall 2266c
Marshall 2266 half stack
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 12 Aug 2009, 14:18

:laugher My dog does the same thing when I'm practicing.

Sounds pretty good to me.

Boogie-Man
<25
<25

Postby Boogie-Man » 13 Aug 2009, 02:54

Thanks for the clip!! It sounds awesome. Perhaps I should invest in a THD hotplate instead and crank it to 11!
I think half of it is I just want to have a huge board of boutique pedals and I am trying to justify the need and cost to myself... :no

Supernaught
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Supernaught » 13 Aug 2009, 04:09

Hehehe, nothing wrong with that mate!

Heres my current one. Not a lot of boutique but Im getting there...

Marshall 2266c
Marshall 2266 half stack
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe I

Return to “Guitar Effects”