Moderator: longfxukxnhair

BrianC
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

OCD alternative

Postby BrianC » 16 Aug 2009, 00:29

I was talking to a friend the other day and we got onto the subject of my OCD he's always admired it but never bought one.

Anyway to cut a long story short he ended up buying a Danelectro Cool Cat Drive pedal and I must say how similar they sound but a hell of a lot cheaper. Apparently they are clones but sound wise there's no denying that that they sound the same, I would say identical. The taper on the pots are slightly different so the same settings (all at 12 o'clock for example) they don't sound the same but mild tweaking and you can get the exact same sound. I was very surprised.

UK prices OCD - £130 Cool Cat - £29 save yourself a £100

[youtube][/youtube]
Marc Ford: "They don’t get it. It’s not the gear. They’re like Trekkies…they’re just geeks. They have nothing better to do all day than argue on the website forums."

Ghostrider
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 1 time

Re: OCD alternative

Postby Ghostrider » 16 Aug 2009, 07:06

I have been looking hard for the past week or so to find the right overdrive for my 2466 to use with my Tele, the OCD seems to be the one many guys go with and the one you show with it is sure a bit cheaper but neither sound very natrual to me. I think I have almost settled on the Rothwell Hellbender Overdrive Pedal, sure the best sounding one I have heard for my taste yet.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.ph ... ategoryID=
Twin 2466 amps

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 16 Aug 2009, 13:03

Interesting. I could hear a bit of differences in the two but for $25 it's a steal. Great pedal for someone starting out.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

OdgeUK
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby OdgeUK » 22 Aug 2009, 14:01

The OCD sounds 'squashier', warmer. I prefer it. But no denying that Danelectro is a bargain.

My friend recently bought the Danelectro Fat Salad (Univibe-ish thing). Again, sounds very good, a good approximation of something MUCH more expensive.
Marshall '73 JMP 50W Lead Head
Marshall 1960A w/G12C Speakers
Peavey Classic 50 2x12 Combo
Orville by Gibson Les Paul Custom
Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 22 Aug 2009, 22:17

Recently Danalectro has been coming out with pedals that are suspiciously similar to many popular boutique pedals. The Cool Cat/OCD & the Transparent Overdrive/Timmy.
Yes, they are quite a bit cheaper but I have a real problem with a large company blatantly ripping off the designes and hard work of smaller companies. :no

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 23 Aug 2009, 11:28

This has been around for awhile now, I thought Danelectro said they were going to address it and make some changes to the design since that whole line was copies of other pedals, lol. I have meant to buy a set for awhile but just the fact they are Chinese knockoffs has kept me from doing it. If they stop making them they will go up in value most likely, lol.

Return to “Guitar Effects”