Got to get one of these! Worth every penny!

Multi-Effects, Single Pedals, Rack Gear

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Got to get one of these! Worth every penny!

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 04 Nov 2010, 18:04

I had the chance to play around with the ISP Decimator G String Noise Reduction pedal. I got to have one of these! It doesn't color your tone and preserves your attack. It also has 2 sets of input/output jacks so you can run your frontend pedals and an effects loop through the same pedal. Sure, that is a lot of cables running around, but I think it is worth it. Delays generally work better in the effects loop anyway.

It gives you all of your tone, but without the buzz that comes from your pedals and your preamp. They cost between $200 and $235.
The goal is soul. May the Force be with you.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Got to get one of these! Worth every penny!

Postby surfnorthwest » 04 Nov 2010, 18:50

I have the regular ISP Decimator and it is the first pedal in my chain. Best noise pedal out there. My JMD doesn't need it but if I drive the VM hard it is a must have. Don't use it as much as I used to but love to have it when needed.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 05 Nov 2010, 04:50

I have been looking at noise reduction pedals for the past week or so. I'm between the ISP, MXR Smart Gate, Boss NS-2, and a Hush. I actually have a rack hush and its not bad.

I don't think I would need the G-String, and wouldn't it create a ground loop if using a power supply?

And, what the heck is noise reduction? I know what a gate is and used to use them all the time when I was studio engineer in my awesome former life! oh the memories....tear.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Licks61SG
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 4 times

Postby Licks61SG » 05 Nov 2010, 06:01

I have the G-string. Can honestly say I can not notice any difference in tone quality when it's on/off. The only slight bummer is it clashes with my reverb. I have to maintain a bit of buzz to get the full reverby goodness out of my WET reverb, otherwise the decay cuts off prematurely. Only a minor gripe!
Gibson SG 61' Reissue
Marshall VM 2466 w/ 425a Cab
Digitech Jimi Hendrix Pedal
Marshall MG50DFX

Vinny
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Vinny » 05 Nov 2010, 06:22

surfnorthwest wrote:I have the regular ISP Decimator and it is the first pedal in my chain. Best noise pedal out there.
First pedal in the chain????????
Shouldn't it be the LAST one???
I put it in the loop, so there is no noise after all the signal have been through all the pedals and the pre-amp distortion. I think this is the most common way? No?

Licks61SG
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Licks61SG » 05 Nov 2010, 06:39

I tried it first also, but found it worked better at the end of the chain for my setup.
Gibson SG 61' Reissue
Marshall MG50DFX

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 05 Nov 2010, 17:42

Licks61SG wrote: The only slight bummer is it clashes with my reverb. I have to maintain a bit of buzz to get the full reverby goodness out of my WET reverb, otherwise the decay cuts off prematurely. Only a minor gripe!
I'll bet you are running pedal in front of the amp only. Are you running a reverb pedal in front of your amp and the Decimator G String too? If that is the case, you might want to try putting the pedal before your delays in your pedal chain.

My understanding is that the ideal for this pedal would be to place it after your overdrive/distortion pedals. Then run that portion of your signal into your amp's input. Then run a line from the effects loop out to the Decimator G String before going to your time-based effects (eg reverb, chorus, echo, tremolo, flanging, delay) and back to the effects loop. This set up will force you to run more cables, but it will give you the best "noise free" tone while preserving the time effects.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 05 Nov 2010, 18:10

I am sticking to my guns on this one guys, at least with my board it works best being first in the chain. The guitars, amps and pedals used of course effects this.

Botome line try it in both places. Google "isp decimator first in the chain" and you can read many people who agree with me and why.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Spitfire
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Spitfire » 05 Nov 2010, 18:23

[youtube][/youtube]

BenjiJuanKenobi
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby BenjiJuanKenobi » 05 Nov 2010, 19:18

I found an interesting review of the Decimater G String here. http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/s ... string.htm

The pedal has a buffered output, which might be why some people like putting it first in their chain.

The info about the history of Rocktron and ISP was interesting too.

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Kyle » 05 Nov 2010, 21:46

BenjiJuanKenobi wrote:I found an interesting review of the Decimater G String here. http://www.performing-musician.com/pm/s ... string.htm

The pedal has a buffered output, which might be why some people like putting it first in their chain.

The info about the history of Rocktron and ISP was interesting too.
so depending more on its buffer than the actual noise supression properties. I would like a G string and planned it as you speak, first before modulation in the loop, last going into the amp front end. Interesting yet odd use, kind of misses the point imo, you cannot supress noise before you generate it after all. Although if the pedal is not creating the noise but only amplifying it to an audible level, that works too.

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Postby Herbvis » 19 Nov 2010, 12:05

When using the decimator with your vm and controlling the volume via guitar volume knob, is there any issues with the decimator cutting off your signal when rollong the volume down for cleans??
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

Licks61SG
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby Licks61SG » 20 Nov 2010, 18:29

I've had that problem Kev.
Gibson SG 61' Reissue
Marshall MG50DFX

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Postby Wildone » 20 Nov 2010, 19:05

The only time I get any noise is when I start to activate to many pedals at the same time. I find the Vintage Modern unprecedented in how quite it is giving the amount of gain you can drive with it. I can never crank my other amp high enough to make it noisy.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Guitar Effects”