Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Richard_H
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

AFD100 presence problems

Postby Richard_H » 07 Jun 2012, 03:42

I've had some strange issues with my AFD100. I play a Gibson Les Paul Historic G0 (Guitar Center model) loaded with Sheptone tribute pups through the AFD100 and a bone stock 1960A cab with G12T-75 speakers, and the sound is great! If you have the presence on 8-10 that is. Everybody keeps talking about how bright the amp is on the AFD mode, and scrambling to the treble & presence controls when they first played through it. No such thing with my amp though, if I lower the presence to under 8 or 9, it sounds incredibly muddy, it's as if the presence control has no use below that setting (I don't hear a difference in the sound when the presence is set at '0' or '5') at all.

Can it be a faulty potentiometer perhaps?

Cheers

Soulcaster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 499 times
Been liked: 350 times

Re: AFD100 presence problems

Postby Soulcaster » 07 Jun 2012, 20:58

I use a strat on AFD mode at around 7 on the presence. The presence doesn't make much change to the sound, it is very subtle. Of course there is a difference between 0 and 10 but very subtle changes as you go up or down. Try some differnet settings, maybe you can hear a change with less gain perhaps. Or you could try a different guitar. You should also try #34 mode which is the brighter of the 2 modes, where the presence can really make or break your tone.

To me it sounds like it is working, it is just reacting to your settings and guitar.

GL

MARSHALL AFD100
REYNOLDS SKUNKWORX MODDED PLEXI100
MARSHAL CLASS 5
MARSHALL JCM900 4500
MARSHALL SLP1959
MARSHALL JCM800 2203
MARSHALL 2555x

Richard_H
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Richard_H » 08 Jun 2012, 05:17

Soulcaster wrote:I use a strat on AFD mode at around 7 on the presence. The presence doesn't make much change to the sound, it is very subtle. Of course there is a difference between 0 and 10 but very subtle changes as you go up or down. Try some differnet settings, maybe you can hear a change with less gain perhaps. Or you could try a different guitar. You should also try #34 mode which is the brighter of the 2 modes, where the presence can really make or break your tone.

To me it sounds like it is working, it is just reacting to your settings and guitar.

GL
Thanks, I've also tried it with my strat but it sounds basically the same. (The Strat is loaded with a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge, HS-3 in the middle and PAF in the neck) I have the gain set at about 5-6 (12 'o clock / 1 'o clock) so its right where you get all those classic rock tones I guess.

Take this guy for an example, he has the presence & treble at 5.5 and his tone is pretty bright if you ask me
[youtube][/youtube]

I don't have a Slash LP so I obviously don't have the AP II Slash pickups installed, but there shouldn't be too much of a difference I think. I think it's either an amp issue, or that the G12T-75s sounds radically different compared to the sound that I'm after.. I think I might try the amp with a greenback/v30 loaded cab, if it sounds the same, at least I'll know that there's something wrong about my amp :p

Thanks for your help!

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 08 Jun 2012, 12:01

Richard_H wrote:I think it's either an amp issue, or that the G12T-75s sounds radically different compared to the sound that I'm after.. I think I might try the amp with a greenback/v30 loaded cab, if it sounds the same, at least I'll know that there's something wrong
I think you found the solution to your problem...

The G12T-75's!

They are bright speakers, theres a whole lot more life and adjustability in a Green Back or V30 cab than in a G12T-75 cab. I personally have zero use for them in regards to any distorted tones, cleans & light gain applications they are decent for. I've never admired anyones tone who used G12T-75s on a local level or famous level, others will disagree but I find that more people agree with me on this than buck heads with me about these speakers. If you're doing Chili Peppers style funk stuff then these are your bag!, for Slash or Hard Rock V30s or GB's.

I thought my amp was fucked when I tried a G12-75 cab a year & a half ago, got home and used my amp on my cab and it was sweetness once more!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Richard_H
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Richard_H » 08 Jun 2012, 14:38

Slashwannabe1 wrote:
Richard_H wrote:I think it's either an amp issue, or that the G12T-75s sounds radically different compared to the sound that I'm after.. I think I might try the amp with a greenback/v30 loaded cab, if it sounds the same, at least I'll know that there's something wrong
I think you found the solution to your problem...

The G12T-75's!

They are bright speakers, theres a whole lot more life and adjustability in a Green Back or V30 cab than in a G12T-75 cab. I personally have zero use for them in regards to any distorted tones, cleans & light gain applications they are decent for. I've never admired anyones tone who used G12T-75s on a local level or famous level, others will disagree but I find that more people agree with me on this than buck heads with me about these speakers. If you're doing Chili Peppers style funk stuff then these are your bag!, for Slash or Hard Rock V30s or GB's.

I thought my amp was fucked when I tried a G12-75 cab a year & a half ago, got home and used my amp on my cab and it was sweetness once more!.
Yeah, they sound pretty good for clean stuff, and when I roll my volume control back, the amp cleans up nicely. But as you said, for hard rock, I think GB's or V30s are better suited, practically all my favorite guitarists use them (Slash, Metallica, AC/DC, even John Petrucci use Mesa cabs loaded with V30s.)

Thanks for your reply Slashwannabe1 !

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”