surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Some more AFD 100 features

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Aug 2010, 13:33

Check this out
We haven’t disclosed it yet but this amplifier features an auto-biasing function which works together with the output power control. We’ve been working on it for more than a year now as it may well appear in some other projects, but we have decided to include it in this amplifier as well.

The power control allows the user to obtain power amp distortion at volumes as low as 0.1W going to full 100W with the simple twist of a knob.

With a trimmer pot located on the rear panel, the player selects the desired biasing current. When triggered by the user, the amplifier performs a complete biasing job by itself. This feature can be seen as having a little man inside the amp rotating the bias pots and measuring the current for us. Lets highlight too that the biasing is not only limited to the full power control but is performed in all the power range ensuring proper operating conditions at every output power setting.

For convenience four LEDs on the rear panel show us if there was any biasing failure. Apart from the obvious easier maintenance, mixing output valve types can also be done without any problems, just plug the valves and let the amp bias them. The self biasing feature was praised as a 'gift from Heaven' by Chet, Slash's guitar tech when first introduced. No more need to get the multimeter, open the amp and tweak the trimmers
This ability to get full distortion at very low wattage is what is driving me to this amp right now. I am making an assumtion that this is "Power Scaling" as currently found in the Suhr and Rienhardt amps. Ever since I tried this feature in a Rienhardt I have been completly sold on it, looked into modding my Metro with the powerscale kit but its voltage is way to high for it. Again I do not know for sure if it will work the same way as the system I tried but I am betting it does.

Here is what Slash recently said, take it for what its worth.
: 'We've been tweaking the AFD amp & I think we finally have it dialled in. Could be one of the best sounding Marshalls ever.'

After Jakarta: 'Btw, used the latest prototype of the AFD Marshall last couple of shows, its ready for production. It really kicks ass!
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Herbvis
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 91 times

Re: Some more AFD 100 features

Postby Herbvis » 19 Aug 2010, 13:39

Admit it, You know you guys are closet slash fans! Playing it off using the features as an excuse to get that afd/slash sound! :laugh :winking
Gibson Les Paul 59 RI
Metro 2203 (3 channel Footswitchable with 1959 mode/2203/#36 AFD) Mods performed by Myself.
Marshall 1960BV with Rola G1280's
Earthquaker Devices dispatch master
Catalinbread Super Chili picoso Boost HBE Paul gilbert Detox
Slash Wah v2
Modtone Wah
BYOC TS808
Boss Super Chorus
ISP Decimator
Roland SRV2000 reverb rack

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Aug 2010, 13:53

No, actually I think he is overratted, nice guy and some great tunes but technically overratted. But you know what... I don't give a shit about any of that or even if they had Obamas picture on the amp. :scared2

If this is a 100 watt Marshall has the gain and tone I think it will have looking at the amps 5 pre's and four 6550's paired up with the power scaling feature I am all over it. I was going to buy a Suhr Badger 30 later this year anyways but since Marshall now has a amp that will do power scaling (as I call it) I will stick with AFD 100 Marshall.

I already had Sweetwater talk with KORG to make sure they get one and I am first in the que. Just would suck if I got it and didn't like it though.

-- Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:01 pm --

Listen to the amp here

AFD100 - Sound check at Bataclan, Parid
[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Postby LivewireBlanco » 19 Aug 2010, 20:12

Sounds great, looks good....now I'm looking at it with interest. Not practical for me but I would definitely try one out if I had the chance.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 23 Aug 2010, 01:27

I agree surf .. this amp with these features has me sold. I currently use the JCM2555 in the cover band I'm in. We are playing mostly 80's rock and the AFD amp would be perfect. Even though I am very happy with the JCM2555 (I am not selling it !) the new AFD probably would be an even better fit.

JCM2555 amp - 1960 Slash cab - Gibson Custom Slash axe ... and I'm not even a fan :dunno
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 23 Aug 2010, 14:10

Even if this amp commes equipped with 6550 valves will it be possible to just change to EL34´s or some other type valves since it has a self bias adjust?

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 25 Aug 2010, 15:54

Well I can tell you this I'm taking a loan out for this amp! if my loan officer will give me one...

I think its cool Surf is getting one :Thumbs

The power scaling,valve/tube LED failure lights & self biasing is just a mind blowing feature, takes all the guess work & trouble out of owning a tube amp, which previously were really the only down sides of having a tube amp, biasing them & cranking them loud to get that signature tone, which isn't exactly the easiest thing to do in all venues.

-- Wed Aug 25, 2010 4:57 pm --
Mats A wrote:Even if this amp commes equipped with 6550 valves will it be possible to just change to EL34´s or some other type valves since it has a self bias adjust?
ugh, the amp is not even out yet and somebody already wants to *igger rig it.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Bluesburst » 25 Aug 2010, 23:36

Mats A wrote:Even if this amp commes equipped with 6550 valves will it be possible to just change to EL34´s or some other type valves since it has a self bias adjust?
Hi Guys

Long time, no speak. I too am all over this and hoping I'm in line to get one.

Apart from the power scaling, the amp can have just about any octal based tube and also be able to mix tubes. So 4 KT66's (perhaps the Vintage Modern Mk2!!!) or 2 KT66's and 2 EL34's etc, etc, etc. Imagine the possibilities :high :high :high I got the info direct from Marshall on the AFD100 blog.

This really has the potential of being an outstandingly versatile amp. For anyone who gets one and it doesn't work for them, I don't think they'll have a problem selling it.

I heard the amp in action when Slash played here in Melbourne a few weeks ago, outstanding tone. Very impressed.

I'm a Slash fan, not from a technical point but based on the feel he has. He's never claimed to be technically proficient, he's a blues player and was part of a band that went in the face of the current scene and made rock and roll dangerous again. Slash in my mind, while not the most technically gifted guitarist is certainly the one of the 2 most influential in the last 25 years and yes that includes Edward Van Halen. That's my 2c worth.

Anyway, here's hoping one of the Australian allocated amps goes my way!!! :Thumbs :Thumbs :Thumbs
Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 26 Aug 2010, 02:08

Bluesburst wrote: Slash in my mind, while not the most technically gifted guitarist is certainly the one of the 2 most influential in the last 25 years and yes that includes Edward Van Halen. That's my 2c worth.
The thing with Slash is that his playing always compliments the song at hand and I really dislike when people say he can't do certain things or isn't proficiant at others, I'm pretty sure if not told Slash played on & came up with the song "Nothing To Say" a lot of people would have said "Slash isn't capable of doing a song like that". Slash doesn't go 100mph in a song just because he can like other virtuosos and the fact that virtually none of his technically advanced solos (mostly the live improvs) never get press as he's always pigeon holed into the slow blues based solo ballads he's famous for really is a disservice to a lot of potential fans, especially since you'd have to be a fanboy to begin with to even delve into his many great awe inspiring live performances to know what he's truley done as an artist and player.

Its true, Slash isn't as polished or concerned with tricks as say Paul Gilbert or Steve Vai but thats the appeal, he just plays straight up music, its not a "look what I can do" contest for him, he just has fun doing what he does and in the process he does great things that nobody expects if they listen close enough.

If all you've listened to are the first few records he's played on then you've probably been justified in your "overrated opinion" and have only truely scratched the surface. After myself listening to over 50+ different live shows & bootlegs of his, his live performances & extended solos on lesser known songs are what make him a legend and to me one of the most enjoyable guitarists to listen to.

I love Appetite For Destruction and its the halmark Slash album for a lot of people but its honestly hardly the best or peak of his playing chops, he was 21 years old when he did that record and his 21 year old chops are being compared to what a lot of virtuosos have mastered in their 30s & 40s.

I respect others opinions on him and thats fair we all like different things and rate them different among others but I feel the above needed to be said :Thumbs
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bluesburst » 26 Aug 2010, 02:31

Slashwannabe1 wrote:
Bluesburst wrote: The thing with Slash is that his playing always compliments the song at hand
Perfectly put :Thumbs :Thumbs :Thumbs

Now I just hope the rest wasn't directed at me as I would never classify Slash as over-rated, in fact I would say he's under rated. I think too many confuse popularity / hype with pure ability.

One thing though, with Slash's solo he played the other week in Melbourne was rather bizarre. The first section to be honest was just a mess and sounded like someone in a guitar shop messing around with effect pedals. For me it wasn't much but then he moved into a more "classic" solo section that was aural bliss, I really enjoyed it and I'm sure I even heard a few Ace Frehley like licks in there. Now that was either a direct influence or his interpretation of teh Page licks that influence Ace's solo's. And yes I love Ace's playing as he is a musical lead player to my ear.

The third and final section of Slas's solo was more a band instrumental and this is where Slash really shone (and the tone of the AFD100) came through. That section of the solo alone was worth the admission price :jam :jam :jam

Martin

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 26 Aug 2010, 13:41

Bluesburst wrote:
Now I just hope the rest wasn't directed at me as I would never classify Slash as over-rated :jam :jam
Oh not at all :)

I was just giving my appraisal of the way I view Slash haha

Yeah sometimes when improvising a solo you hit a homerun or you just become redundant, I guess its all about how you feel at the moment. There are live versions of the GNR song "Double Talkin Jive" where they range from out of this world amazing solos to what appears to be just short & sweet practice solos & noodleing to see what works.

Heres a great example of one of the solos I think Slash has done some great work on and has probably never been listened to by 98% of the people who know of him!. Listen at 3:48 to 6:00 in for his solo.

And yes I know the music store feeling!! I get nervous and can't play for shit in a music store really, but in a venue with 100x the people no problem!
1966 Fender Bandmaster

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Aug 2010, 14:36

Yes, plug and play. It also adjusts the bias when you turn down the voltage with the power scaling.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 26 Aug 2010, 15:34

Bluesburst wrote:So 4 KT66's (perhaps the Vintage Modern Mk2!!!) or 2 KT66's and 2 EL34's etc, etc, etc. Imagine the possibilities :high :high :high I got the info direct from Marshall on the AFD100 blog.
Well, if you got that direct from Marshall I will believe it. Some amps I've wanted to try KT66s in have had their sockets too close together to fit those fat bottles. It sounds like a cool amp by all accounts.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 26 Aug 2010, 16:40

Beck-Ola wrote:
Well, if you got that direct from Marshall I will believe it. Some amps I've wanted to try KT66s in have had their sockets too close together to fit those fat bottles. It sounds like a cool amp by all accounts.
The 65/50s the AFD 100 comes with are pretty fat bottles as well.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bluesburst » 27 Aug 2010, 04:58

surfnorthwest wrote:
Yes, plug and play. It also adjusts the bias when you turn down the voltage with the power scaling.
Hey Surf

I saw your post on the AFD100 blog, how could you doubt me re the KT66 usage??? :doh :doh :doh

The interesting possibility is putting a mix of different tubes for some interesting possibilities :yea

Martin

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”