Moderator: longfxukxnhair

crossroadsnyc
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 19 times

Removal of Slash Logo?

Postby crossroadsnyc » 09 Dec 2010, 22:37

So, I'm quite smitten with what I've heard from this new AFD100 amp. I've been considering pulling the trigger on one, but I am completely hung up on the idea of buying anything with a cartoon Slash logo on it .... so, have any of you had any experience with the removal of logos from the front panels of amps? Are the Slash logos (both the name and cartoon drawing) something that would be easy to remove w/out damaging the front panel? Perhaps it's just a matter of gently scraping it off? Maybe something along the lines of some kind of solvent that I could rub on there that would remove it? Oh, and by doing this, I mean doing it in a way in which it would look professional ... as if it were never there .... rather than all banged up with scrapes/etc.

I'm sure you have watched this video, but I'd prefer it to look more like the pre-production model played here:

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Removal of Slash Logo?

Postby surfnorthwest » 10 Dec 2010, 04:40

Rub a little of this on it, it will come off

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 10 Dec 2010, 12:39

Yeah, Goof-Off is some good stuff.

Recalls the "mud-flap girl" image they had affixed to the XXXs, lol. I had to remove it when I had that amp because it just oozed cheese. Luckily it was held on with a screw so I put her back on before I sold it. :bgrin
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 10 Dec 2010, 12:56

Wait a while before you do it. Make you sure you love the amp and don't want to sell it off.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 13 Dec 2010, 02:01

way to go...fuck the resale value up and trailer park rig it. Since you're into that why don't you just duct tape over the Slash logo? it would look just as rediculous as removing the Slash logo but at least with the dignity you didn't fuck the amps value & novalty up.

Almost as bad as watching the fucking Dukes Of Hazzard and knowing the producers wrecked 400+ Chargers...rips my heart out.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 18 Dec 2010, 08:00

Slashwannabe1 wrote:way to go...fuck the resale value up and trailer park rig it. Since you're into that why don't you just duct tape over the Slash logo? it would look just as rediculous as removing the Slash logo but at least with the dignity you didn't fuck the amps value & novalty up.

Almost as bad as watching the fucking Dukes Of Hazzard and knowing the producers wrecked 400+ Chargers...rips my heart out.
Please let us know if it works .
I might consider a AFD100 without graffiti on it, i do not mind if
a artist name is on my gear but i simply hate that grafiti kinda things.
These slash cabs with the logo with the big hat are dead ugly ....
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby Bountyhunter » 18 Dec 2010, 08:53

I really don't see what the big deal is. If tha art works bothers you so much, don't buy it. I hate certain color guitars, but if they sound and play good, then so what?
The fact that my playing sounds like shit to you, makes it even more fun for me.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 18 Dec 2010, 12:54

bluesbrother wrote:
You're going to wreck 1 of 2396 production heads (Slash has the first four I believe?) just because you don't like just a name plate? He's really screwing himself and potential buyers on resale value because I can almost guarantee that he'll send the amp packing in a year or two once the honeymoon wears off and then real fans are left with their thumb up their ass on a wigger rigged amp when they go to hit "Buy It Now".

If this was a standard production run head I'd say go nuts with modding and whatever you want to do, but this is a limited run even by limited run standards and unless you're a Slash fan in someway which ensures you're keeping it, please leave the amp alone, if you want the amp regardless of if you're a Slash fan just leave the faceplate & amps originality alone and accept it for what it is. And the fact that some of the people buying this amp are ones who called Slashs tone generic and not special is quite funny, thats pretty much what this amp does you closet Slash fans!. Don't use power scaling as an excuse...there are much cheaper ways to attain power scaling in your own amp!. Admit it already you have a top hat and black curly wig hidden away in your closet!.

I think after dropping that much cash on an original limited run amplifier thats sure to be one of the most sought after pieces of gear ever, you think you would take pride in what it is and want people to know what it is seeing its one of 2400 heads in the whole world, and that means accepting its faults you think it has.

To me thats no different than seeing some person in Miami or California chopping apart a wheel well on a classic car just to fit some ugly fucking 22 inch rims on the damn thing. Or if you prefer its like scratching Willy Wonkas name off the golden ticket and thinking somehow that golden ticket is still worth as much and means something to somebody else.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

Mr. Mother Head
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 15 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Mr. Mother Head » 19 Dec 2010, 02:39

I can see that someone who calls himself slashwannabe may think differently in this case, but in the end it's just a piece of gear. If someone wants to change it, it's up to them I suppose. Personally I wouldn't bother. That logo is tiny.
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Washburn N4 Relic

Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 + 425A
Mesa Boogie F50 Combo

bmi
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 6 times

Postby bmi » 19 Dec 2010, 05:59

2400 a limited run?
I think that you believe in all what says the project leader of the AFD (can't tell his name). :roll

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 19 Dec 2010, 09:19

Hi, slash wannabe.......
Great vid you put on you tube ..... :laugher :dance

:howdy

epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 19 Dec 2010, 13:14

bluesbrother wrote:Hi, slash wannabe.......
Great vid you put on you tube ..... :laugher :dance

:howdy

Thats not mine! lol I'm nellysman on youtube. By the way a stupid name I regret. :Thumbs

-- Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:25 pm --
Mr. Mother Head wrote:I can see that someone who calls himself slashwannabe may think differently in this case, but in the end it's just a piece of gear. If someone wants to change it, it's up to them I suppose. Personally I wouldn't bother. That logo is tiny.
Yeah if they change it they change it! but god damn it its a rare piece of gear and I've seen this a million times...some dumb fuck removes the logo or fucks the piece of gear up in some way to make it their own then sells the shit once they get sick of it a year down the road and then expects full value for it once they sell. A lot of you people who complain about me bitching about the removal of the Slash logo are probably people who bitch at others for wanting to mod their VM's and would tell them "maybe the VM isn't for you if you want to mod it" Well I'll turn it on you guys... maybe the AFD100 isn't for you if you want to remove logos and what not, all I'm getting at.

All I'm saying is the amp means more to a Slash fan and collector base as is and its more likely for a Slash fan to keep it and cherish it than a non fan...hell even with hardcore fans they can be brought to sell & get rid of their gear at anytime so why ruin an amp for a brief period of ownership? And it certainly will be. People with no bearing on fucking up a piece of gear certainly usually have money to throw around and their infatuation with the amp will fade as they have to buy another piece of gear that catches their eye down the road...just like a womanizer who needs a new woman everyday. Thats my opinion if you want to fuck up the amp may God have Mercy on your soul because I wont.

I would say this regardless of the Artists signature on an amplifier, weather its Eddie Van Halens Peavy, Zak Wydles JCM 800 weird bullseye or Kerry Kings JCM 800 amplifier with the ugly tattoo logo, leave them alone if those cosmetics bother you they are rare and deserve preservation.

As I've said before if this wasn't a limited production amplifier I'd have no problem doing what you want to it, but seeing rare items get fucked up pisses me off and thats not just limited to amplifiers it goes on to cars & antiques and other unique things that I see people wigger rig.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

TubeStack
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 19 Dec 2010, 13:25

I can totally see why one wouldn't want that logo on the amp. If there were a clean way to do it, I'd want it off, too.

The front panel is a sticker, no? Could probably just find the right cutting tools and cut it off.

-- Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:27 pm --
Slashwannabe1 wrote:
bluesbrother wrote:
You're going to wreck 1 of 2396 production heads (Slash has the first four I believe?) just because you don't like just a name plate? He's really screwing himself and potential buyers on resale value because I can almost guarantee that he'll send the amp packing in a year or two once the honeymoon wears off and then real fans are left with their thumb up their ass on a wigger rigged amp when they go to hit "Buy It Now".

If this was a standard production run head I'd say go nuts with modding and whatever you want to do, but this is a limited run even by limited run standards and unless you're a Slash fan in someway which ensures you're keeping it, please leave the amp alone, if you want the amp regardless of if you're a Slash fan just leave the faceplate & amps originality alone and accept it for what it is. And the fact that some of the people buying this amp are ones who called Slashs tone generic and not special is quite funny, thats pretty much what this amp does you closet Slash fans!. Don't use power scaling as an excuse...there are much cheaper ways to attain power scaling in your own amp!. Admit it already you have a top hat and black curly wig hidden away in your closet!.

I think after dropping that much cash on an original limited run amplifier thats sure to be one of the most sought after pieces of gear ever, you think you would take pride in what it is and want people to know what it is seeing its one of 2400 heads in the whole world, and that means accepting its faults you think it has.

To me thats no different than seeing some person in Miami or California chopping apart a wheel well on a classic car just to fit some ugly fucking 22 inch rims on the damn thing. Or if you prefer its like scratching Willy Wonkas name off the golden ticket and thinking somehow that golden ticket is still worth as much and means something to somebody else.
Dude, it's just an amp. :bgrin

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 19 Dec 2010, 13:38

TubeStack wrote:
Dude, it's just an amp. :bgrin

Just an amp that will be worth a lot of money soon after production is done. Its just an amp modeled after the generally accepted most iconic Rock N Roll tone ever! even if I don't really think the AFD tone deserves that but it does also house the #34 tone which I think is the most iconic tone I've ever heard out of an amplifier.

Theres more here than just an average amp, I love rare items and watching Pawn Stars & American Pickers is certainly up my alley and nothing hurts more than to see a rare item on those shows & the Antiques road show that was modded or personalized to an extent that ruins its natural state regardless of how ugly or repulsive the item may be.

I like to preserve the history in rare items and the fact the amp is rare really makes me that passionate about preserving them. If it was a standard production run like a JCM 800 or even a Vintage Modern I'd say go ahead and mod away & personalize but the rarity is my argument.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

Mr. Mother Head
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 15 times
Been liked: 7 times

Postby Mr. Mother Head » 21 Dec 2010, 03:18

Wouldn't want to piss off a fellow forum member. If it upsets you that much I'll promise you this: if I buy one I won't remove the logo. 1 of 2400 saved, Slashwannabe. :truce
Fender American Deluxe Telecaster
Fender American Standard Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Washburn N4 Relic

Marshall Vintage Modern 2466 + 425A
Mesa Boogie F50 Combo

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”