Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Re: AFD in the USA? WHAT??????

Postby Beck-Ola » 11 Mar 2011, 09:45

Bluesburst wrote:
Slashwannabe1 wrote:How does the VM stack up against the AFD100? Whats your opinion on the two? :)
Hmmm... now here's where I get into potentially rocky ground :scared
:laugh Ha-ha! Aint that the truth. As someone else said, you're inviting a shitstorm.

You lucky dawg. I sure wouldn't mind borrowing that for a few days to try out (and then never return it just like the namesake, heh-heh). Between that and the YJM100 there's a lot to drool over and save up for. I'll just have to muddle along with my old JCM800 to get those '80s sounds. It's been slightly modded for a bit more crunch (replaced 10k w/ a 6.8k on the second stage). Sounds great. Hmmm, power scaling maybe not a bad idea?

Anyway, lucky you. :wasted
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Mar 2011, 10:23

AFD equals rock tone nirvana with a Les Paul plus really cool power scaling, VM equals tone nirvana with both a Strat and Les Paul with the benefit of the KT66 sound. There I said it.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 11 Mar 2011, 17:40

surfnorthwest wrote:AFD equals rock tone nirvana with a Les Paul plus really cool power scaling, VM equals tone nirvana with both a Strat and Les Paul with the benefit of the KT66 sound. There I said it.
I was moreless getting at the bite of each amp, I've gotten close to some AFD like tones on my VM, I was just wonder the texure differences between KT66s & 6550s and the overall crunch.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Mar 2011, 18:24

I was just wonder the texure differences between KT66s & 6550s and the overall crunch.
I am about the last person on this board is amp technical but I have ears. The gain structure (voice) of the AFD when I heard it in person was very different then the VM, harsher in a good way I guess. I wouldn't say it had more gain but it had a lot of it and sounded very good if you like that hotrod 800 sound. 6550 tubes are sweet.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Bluesburst
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 44 times

Postby Bluesburst » 11 Mar 2011, 20:38

surfnorthwest wrote:AFD equals rock tone nirvana with a Les Paul plus really cool power scaling, VM equals tone nirvana with both a Strat and Les Paul with the benefit of the KT66 sound. There I said it.
Oooh!, almost agree Surf, have you tried a Strat with the AFD? My 57 reissue Strat (i.e low powered / old school pickups) sing through the AFD like no other amp I've had with a nice underlying warmth and fullness without losing the single coil bite.

Agree, both amps are wonderful. I can't wait to try some KT66's in the AFD. The main point I keep coming back to is the power scaling. If Marshall do nothing else to the VM, they need to at least add the power scaling.
surfnorthwest wrote:
I was just wonder the texure differences between KT66s & 6550s and the overall crunch.
I am about the last person on this board is amp technical but I have ears. The gain structure (voice) of the AFD when I heard it in person was very different then the VM, harsher in a good way I guess. I wouldn't say it had more gain but it had a lot of it and sounded very good if you like that hotrod 800 sound. 6550 tubes are sweet.
Interesting how we hear thing a little differently. For me the 2 gain modes of the AFD sits between the gain modes of the VM. The big plus of the AFD is how smooth it is through the gain and volume ranges in the amp. The VM to me was way too harsh in the High dynamic range and rather unfriendly with pedals where the Low range was really nice and very pedal friendly.

As I said prior, the one change I would make to a future AFD style amp is to incorporate the Body and Detail of the VM. Effectively both amps are classic rock machines and I wouldn't be surprised to see the best of both incorporated into a single standard range.

Now I have a bit of experience with the AFD, I would love my old VM back to run as my clean amp. The AFD and VM together would be a really nice pairing.
Be good... or be good at it!!!

Martin

SIR36
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby SIR36 » 30 Nov 2012, 18:38

They haven't hit Canada either, my local dealer looked into getting one for me before I bought my VM. His supplier had one but it sold within a day. I am not sure why Marshall made only 2300, I would have figured at least 5000 would have been made and distributed evenly throughout the world. There is ebay but I don't trust them when it comes to spending that kind of money.
Amps:
Marshall Vintage Modern 2466
Marshall AVT50 Combo Amp

Guitars:
1956 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Goldtop w P-90's
2010 Epiphone Les Paul Ebony w (Slash Signature) Seymour Duncan Alnico 2's
2006 Epiphone G1275 Doubleneck w Gibson PAF's
2004 Fender Stratocaster Dark Sunburst w Texas Special's
Simon & Patrick Cutaway Acoustic
Oscar Schmit (Washburn) 3/4 Scale Acoustic.

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby 95 Wah
Heil Talkbox

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”