Moderator: longfxukxnhair

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

I got my AFd and not really impressed

Postby fortress » 29 Apr 2011, 10:14

Well, i'm a little disappointed.. It sound good nothing more than the Splawn quickrod or the Marshall JVM i had...

Where are the FAT beefy Marshall tone?? I tough i was purchasing a JCM 800 on steroid but its more modern sounnding. ITS THIN THIN THIN

WHen you start the VINTAGE MODERN , you know which amp does the old rock better... its a big difference. the Vintage is FAT FAT FAT

i dont know what i will doing now.. SOld it and wait for the YJM. Judging from the vid, the YJM seem more beefy and fat

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Re: I got my AFd and not really impressed

Postby Mats A » 29 Apr 2011, 13:03

How do you set your amp? My AFD sounds real fat. Almost too fat if i turn the gain up to 8 or more. I´ve recorded to compare it wioth my JVM and 1959 Plexi Reissue and it sure doesn´t sound any thinner than those amps. It sounds a bit less compressed than the JVM more in the plexy style. I´ve tried it with both my 1960B Vintage and 425B cabs.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 29 Apr 2011, 13:12

what cab are you playing through?
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Steven Latch » 29 Apr 2011, 13:46

Well everyone has his idea of a "fat" sound. For me it would amount to thick low and upper mids and the AFD has plenty of those. Seriously, as soon as both the master and the attenuator are above five, the amp kicks in with a really beefy sound. Obvious questions such as "is you amp biased too cold" come to mind.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Apr 2011, 16:27

I tough i was purchasing a JCM 800 on steroid but its more modern sounnding. ITS THIN THIN THIN
Something isn't right, the AFD is anything but thin in AFD mode. Man I would start trouble shooting because what you describe is not the AFD100. Let us know how it goes.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Hellhound » 29 Apr 2011, 17:30

The AFD is not a VM. I had similar thoughts when I first tried the AFD. It was only when I played along with some Hendrix, gnr and Zeppelin that I realised it gets closer to these tones than the VM does. I prefer the VM and AFD together for my lead and use a switcher to switch to the AFD for crunchy rhythms.

The AFD may not have the VM's creaminess but the VM doesn't have the usability or that edgy crunch.

It can take a while for your ears to adjust from the VM. Give it a chance. After all, it'll only increase in value and the YJM has a while to go before it's available.
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 29 Apr 2011, 20:25

fortress wrote:Well, i'm a little disappointed.. It sound good nothing more than the Splawn quickrod or the Marshall JVM i had...

Where are the FAT beefy Marshall tone?? I tough i was purchasing a JCM 800 on steroid but its more modern sounnding. ITS THIN THIN THIN

WHen you start the VINTAGE MODERN , you know which amp does the old rock better... its a big difference. the Vintage is FAT FAT FAT

i dont know what i will doing now.. SOld it and wait for the YJM. Judging from the vid, the YJM seem more beefy and fat

Honestly man Slash's tone is not as thick as you imagine...You've heard the records he's on that tone is what it is. Please feel free to sell me the AFD.

You have to adjust your pick ups accordingly, I have some pick up heights you should try & then judge the AFD. I know you play GNR and try emulate the nuances & certain aspects of Slash's tone as do I, the tone you try to get can be had with the AFD100 don't sell just yet man, its got the tone you just don't have the right setup with it be it a matter of settings or equipment. I recently found a killer pickup setting for my Alnicos that increased the total fatness & sustain of every guitar I tried it on, I know it will do something with your set up.

Many people go wrong with tuning into Slash's tone with muddy settings... when in reality when you see Slash live his tone live & in studio is noticably bright. Your ears will just have to adjust. Man let me save you some hassles I'll help you out with settings & tips that certainly will help ease out the bugs.

And to be honest I'll buy your AFD if you're eventually not happy with it :)

By the way here's a clip of my Vintage Modern trying to emulate the #34 afd tone.
Attachments
Don't Damn Me VM 34 sound.mp3
(836.28 KiB) Downloaded 1458 times
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 30 Apr 2011, 04:57

Slash tone on G`n`R records is pretty thin i think. Too thin in my taste. His tone nowdays is much better and a bit more thick. Still a bit too thin for me. My AFD don´t sound at all like Slash because i don´t set it up like him. I´m not too keen on his tone. It´s a great ROCK AND ROLL AMP. More in the plexi style with EL34´s than the VM and JVM i think.

SteveD
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 936 times
Been liked: 930 times

Postby SteveD » 30 Apr 2011, 05:47

Mats A wrote:...More in the plexi style with EL34´s than the VM ...
Pretty obvious as the Vintage Modern is in the Plexi style with KT66s (JTM).
Still my guitar gently weeps

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 01 May 2011, 17:26

oj guys, maybe its my english and the use of FAT word is not good but im sorry, the AFD is not beefy, FAT or any word you can think of.. NOthing like the JCM 800 i had and the VM.. When you play a chord on those amp, its huge, beefy etc etc... on the AFD, JVM, Quickrod, its something different, less big of a sound, less beefy, less fat... but you have more definition on the low end for sure

POeple who played with the AFD and never played an old Marshall or the VM, can't understand. I didnt say that it sound bad but i doubt that the original modified marshall that slash used was thin like that..

maybe i should record the afd and VM, you'll see by yourself

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 May 2011, 18:00

Try some KT66 tubes in it, that should fatten it up plenty. Just to try pull the tubes out of your Vm and slap them into the AFD and autobias. I bet it will sound really good.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 01 May 2011, 21:00

its what i was planning to do but a JCM dont come with kt66 and its fat

The more i listened to the AFD, the more afraid i was cuz it sounded really similar to the QUickrod i had and sold it cuz it was too thin and not beefy.. ANd really it is.. Some people like that but nothing beat the old marshall.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 02 May 2011, 01:22

surfnorthwest wrote:Try some KT66 tubes in it, that should fatten it up plenty. Just to try pull the tubes out of your Vm and slap them into the AFD and autobias. I bet it will sound really good.
I agree that should help ... but if you want to use KT66 tubes then what is the point in getting the AFD ?
If you buy the AFD then you will get a bright crunchy Marshall Slash like tone.
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 02 May 2011, 01:45

gtrman wrote:
surfnorthwest wrote:Try some KT66 tubes in it, that should fatten it up plenty. Just to try pull the tubes out of your Vm and slap them into the AFD and autobias. I bet it will sound really good.
I agree that should help ... but if you want to use KT66 tubes then what is the point in getting the AFD ?
If you buy the AFD then you will get a bright crunchy Marshall Slash like tone.
Thing is Fortress plays the Slash stuff...no idea whats wrong, this amp through all of the recordings I've heard on youtube & otherwise nails his recorded tone. But I can say one thing for sure Slash's tone is not how you'd imagine it to be once you nail down the nuances of it & hear him live. I used to think a Metal Zone would get me there...yeah I've matured a lot since then as a player & Slash tone guru, and with each passing month I get a little more smarter on the parts that make up Slash's tone. The AFD should have no issue getting there. I don't know whats wrong...all the clips I've heard sound more like Slash's recorded tone than any amp I've ever heard, and that goes for people recording with standard cheap computer mic's.

I'd definitely blame the guitar first before the AFD...everything I've heard pro & amatuer out of the afd has been great regardless of the recording method used. Its not reinventing the wheel, Its taken me 7 years to realize my SD Alnico 2s were set up like shit when I used to think the set up was perfect, maybe Fortress just needs the right guitar set up to plug into that amp with.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby fortress » 02 May 2011, 05:48

I think you dont understand what i mean and i blame my english sorry.

SO, for you to understand, if one day you have the chance to play an AFD side by side with a JCM, a Vintage, a plexi or any old marshall, you will instantanely understand ;) i will record both amp this week

And second, that AFD sound exactly like the Quickrod, dont spend 2000 when you coudl have a quickrod for less and with a clean channel..

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”