Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: I got my AFd and not really impressed

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 06 May 2011, 09:03

fortress wrote:Hey Slash, maybe i'll sold the AFD so, if you are interested ;)

didnt have the time to record some clips

I listened to your AFD tone with the Vintage and i like it better ;)

anyway, its a subjective thing ;)

-- Fri May 06, 2011 9:49 am --

Slash, its both 34 and aFD mode

AFD mode add bass to the sound but its not what i'm reffering as FAT Tone

I wish we could be together in the same room with the 2 amps and discussing this and playing both amp ;)

When i'm talking about FAT tone, the picture i can give to you is that when playing a HIGH e string on JCM 800, its like you have a 13 gauges strings and when playing it with an AFD Quickrod amp, is like you have a 9 gauges strings..

dont know if you understand what i mean but its the best pictures i can give to you ;) I'm not just sure if FAT tone is the right word to use to describe what i'm talking about. My poor english sorry
Your english is pretty good, don't worry about that. I think fat is a decent way to describe it, the string analogy you used is a good one by the way...just had no clue it was like that the tone...you should try the KT66s out of your VM in there to see if it helps? My tone got really really thin when my tubes went out. Should be able to run two of the KT66s just to test out...put them in the middle power tube slots then bias.

Even though the AFD is self biasing I guess it has a dial on the back which you have to adjust for certain tubes to get them in range for the self biasing system, is it possible somebody before you at an amp place may have moved that to the wrong setting? check the manual for the reccomended settings for the 6550s and see if the back of the amp is set as such. To me that almost sounds like bad tubes, I've heard a bunch of demos & did get a chance to play a #34 copy recently and it was a more cutting sound but not really thin, when you said about the string analogy it makes me think either bad new tubes (does happen even with new tubes sometimes) or that bias selector is out of range. Do all the tube indicator lights light up on the back?

The second question maybe Santiago could answer for us is how bad does a tube have to be for the LED's on the back of the AFD100 to light up as a fault?.

By the way Fortress you should try this on your VM if you still have it...

Presence: 7
Bass: 7
Middle: 7
Treble: 7
HDR
Mid boost out
Detail: 10
Body: 0 (off)

Thats my setting for the simulated #34 tone on the clip I posted.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

fortress
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: I got my AFd and not really impressed

Postby fortress » 09 May 2011, 08:20

nothing bad, it sound like all the clips i heard

i did try the kt66 but by using the VM power amp.. I will try to put them in the amp just to see ;)

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”