Moderator: longfxukxnhair

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Just about to join the AFD club

Postby slash-ed » 09 May 2011, 17:50

Just thought I'd share it with you guys here on the VM forum.

I passed on putting a deposit down when our local retailer (I'm all the way in New Zealand, where a grand total of 8 units have entered the country) first started pre-sales on the AFD100 - I couldn't justify putting down that kind of money on an amp I hadn't played in person.

Fast forward a few months, and I was casually talking to the product manager and he mentioned that one of the sales had fallen through. Long story short, he's a great guy and an AFD100 made it's way to the closest branch for me to try.

I spent awhile accidentally playing on the low sensitivity input, not being overly impressed until the shop floor dude pointed out that I might want to try the high input. (I thought I was, shows how many multi-input Marshalls I've owned, none)

And there it was. Great, "chewy" gain tone that I associate with AFD. However, unlike the VM, at this level of gain there was pretty much no chance of getting a clean tone rolling back your volume knob (this was on a LP Custom).

Anyway, at this point I was impressed, but still a little undecided. I tried it with an EMG-equipped guitar they had in store (for something a little more "shred", there was nothing more appropriate) and to be honest it sucked. So I'm taking in my custom guitar today (which has Dimarzio Tonezone in the bridge and an Alnico II Pro in the neck, and alder/maple construction) to see if that sounds good.

If it does, that'll pretty much seal the deal for me. I'll be able to get clean tones out of it using my HD500 as a clean preamp straight to the AFD's poweramp using the 4 cable method.

Long, slightly pointless story, but I'm starting to get excited. :cowbell

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to keep my 2466 if I buy the AFD, but I'll definitely still be hanging around here, what with all the great guys and Steve D and now Santiago on here too! :Cheers
www.six-string-samurai.com
Gear talk for the GAS-afflicted.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Just about to join the AFD club

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 09 May 2011, 17:53

EMGs do no amp or guitar justice. Sorry Zakk Wylde fans...

Yeah I wouldn't base my decision on a Wal Mart 5 watt amp with a guitar using EMGs let alone the AFD100!. Steril across the board.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby slash-ed » 09 May 2011, 18:01

Well, I'm not into EMGs but they usually at least give you "that" EMG tone, but through the AFD it just sounded pretty weak, I'm really quite curious as to why. EMGs through the VM don't sound that bad at all.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 09 May 2011, 18:17

slash-ed wrote: EMGs through the VM don't sound that bad at all.
:eek

Though the VM has more control over the body/"meat & patatos" of ones tone and it lends to tuning in ones sound nearly more than any amp ever made, I still would not say EMG's sound good or passable though tone is subjective and each to their own. I feel they cover a lot of what each guitars character has to offer.

All Marshalls are basically crap in, decent crap out or great in, greatness x10 out, its all about what you plug into them that depends on their greatness because they are so transparent in presenting ones guitar tone, though a Marshall can make a crap guitar sound less crappy just like a great guitar with great pickups can make a shitty amp sound decent.

Can't take your eye off the ball with this one, it was made to do the Slash tone and thats exactly what you'll get. If you're chasing what you hear on the records and you have an alnico 2 equiped guitar then get ready for awesomeness! :jam

I think your guitar will do it justice when you go in to try it! but don't wait hurry and try it out!.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0

Postby Steven Latch » 09 May 2011, 22:48

I tend to disagree with the EMGs not sounding good with EMGs. The guitar matters too. Maybe on an ibanez rosewood type it sounds a little shrill and sterile but when I plugged my flying V equipped with EMGs it sounded fat and warm, just as it does on other amps.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 09 May 2011, 23:36

Steven Latch wrote:I tend to disagree with the EMGs not sounding good with EMGs. The guitar matters too. Maybe on an ibanez rosewood type it sounds a little shrill and sterile but when I plugged my flying V equipped with EMGs it sounded fat and warm, just as it does on other amps.
In my experience with EMG 81s & 85s, the guitars didn't make a difference there was a common vibe going on with them the EMG sound. I've tried Les Pauls (Real & Copies),Strats,Flying V, Deans & every other flavor guitar with EMGs because half the time that was all that was on the Music Store wall to try an amp out with and I passed many a good amps up because of the one trick pony sound. I find them being less reliant on natural guitar tone than other pickups. I don't like their response & overall tone, it always felt to me like something was being held back in the guitar and picking dynamics weren't as important, I honestly like stock Epiphone & Gibson Humbuckers better.

I will admit I wasn't using EMG's what they were made for (Metal), I come from a Rock background and I'm sure I'm set default to like & want a nice responsive tone thats highly reactive to a playing style, so I don't nessisarily tune the amp in for them the way they were meant to be because they are for a style completely different than what play which is understandable. I should clear up, that they aren't bad quality & looks wise they are cool, the tone is just not for me & neither is finding a 9v battery to use them with. I find them bland and kind of a one trick pony.

As far as this post goes about the EMG's on the AFD100, I'm pretty sure on both of the Original amplifiers #34 & #39 AFD that they weren't modified or meant to be driven by an active EMG pickup, which is why it could sound less than acceptable to your ears.

I really hope Slash-ed you do get the AFD100, I think the pickups in your guitar should do it justice just fine!. Let us know how it turns out :)
1966 Fender Bandmaster

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 10 May 2011, 00:39

Well funnily enough, I have the opposite opinion. I have 3 EMG 81 equipped guitars and they all have a specific sound. Granted, on a POD they all sound the same but on any guitar sensitive amp such as the AFD, it is a night and day thing. Well, we all have different ears and as long as it sounds good to us, it's fine. But I would like you to A/B my Jackson Soloist and KH2. Same pickup, no possible comparison. The KH2 sounds razor sharp while the Jackson is fat as a troll.

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby slash-ed » 10 May 2011, 05:25

Steven Latch wrote:Well funnily enough, I have the opposite opinion. I have 3 EMG 81 equipped guitars and they all have a specific sound. Granted, on a POD they all sound the same but on any guitar sensitive amp such as the AFD, it is a night and day thing. Well, we all have different ears and as long as it sounds good to us, it's fine. But I would like you to A/B my Jackson Soloist and KH2. Same pickup, no possible comparison. The KH2 sounds razor sharp while the Jackson is fat as a troll.
You're right there. While EMGs have a certain EQ curve to them due to the preamp, they actually do sound different in different guitars (where wood, neck joint etc vary).

Slashwannabe1 - my other guitar sounded great through it, and I actually managed to get a decent clean by winding down the volume and using a split coil setting, which sealed the deal for me. I need to figure out the finance but otherwise I'm sold on it! :)

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 10 May 2011, 14:03

slash-ed wrote:
Steven Latch wrote:Well funnily enough, I have the opposite opinion. I have 3 EMG 81 equipped guitars and they all have a specific sound. Granted, on a POD they all sound the same but on any guitar sensitive amp such as the AFD, it is a night and day thing. Well, we all have different ears and as long as it sounds good to us, it's fine. But I would like you to A/B my Jackson Soloist and KH2. Same pickup, no possible comparison. The KH2 sounds razor sharp while the Jackson is fat as a troll.
You're right there. While EMGs have a certain EQ curve to them due to the preamp, they actually do sound different in different guitars (where wood, neck joint etc vary).

Slashwannabe1 - my other guitar sounded great through it, and I actually managed to get a decent clean by winding down the volume and using a split coil setting, which sealed the deal for me. I need to figure out the finance but otherwise I'm sold on it! :)
Awesome news :) I think you'll be very happy with that setup. I considered selling my truck so I could get an AFD100 but I think I may have to wait a year till I can afford one or mod my own JCM800 with 6550s.

As far as the EMG's go I haven't maybe had good luck with the right set up yet or guitar, as we all know most guitars are never really ready to kick ass right off the store wall, they always need a tweak here or there to sound good. I would like to try one with EMG's thats set up good.
1966 Fender Bandmaster

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts

Postby slash-ed » 11 May 2011, 23:30

It is done. :yea

Obviously the fact that it's a limited edition Slash signature head was intriguing to me, but I think I can safely say that I bought this because. it sounds. awesome. Wtf am I doing posting this on here instead of deafening the neighbors? Okay bye now.

8)

Hellhound
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby Hellhound » 12 May 2011, 11:04

:coool

New Amp Day! Gotta love that feeling :dance

Congrats on getting your AFD mate.
Marshall Haze 40
Marshall VM2466
Gibson Les Paul Classic - Burstbucker 2 - bridge, Slash Pro - Neck
1960a Vintage 4x12
TC Electronic Polytuner
Line 6 Relay G30 Wireless System
Radial Engineering ABY Pedal
Cry Baby Wah

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 13 May 2011, 08:52

Awesome! absolutely stunning!
1966 Fender Bandmaster

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 May 2011, 10:00

Sweet! Be sure to keep the original box and paperwork in good shape. Enjoy it!
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”