Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Vavoom
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Cabinet Type for the AFD 100 and VM

Postby Vavoom » 12 May 2011, 15:59

Got the Avatar 4x12 with Greenbacks today! This is an 8ohm cab. Upon unpackaging I noticed two things........damn...forgot to order casters! Number two....whoa the Vintage 4x12 is not as wide as my Marshall cabs. It is exactly the width of the VM head. No biggy, lets plug this beotch in.

First the VM....place the VM head on the Avatar cab...plug in my pedal board and Anderson Strat with humbucker/single coil/humbucker config. All pedals off....LDR range first....clean. Ahhh, I smile and know right away it's gonna be good cuz I'm getting a full bassier tone than my aforementioned cabs now in my garage. A crank it a bit, oh yeah...musical not harsh. Now I can't wait, I just hit the HDR and crank the gain. I laugh out loud....papa like!! This thing crunches great, cleans up great and is full and not "brittle". Nice. After playing for 1/2 hour I compare it to the Mesa 1x12 C-90 that I mentioned in previous posts how well it sounded. Very similar as far as full tone/crunch and not brittle like my 16ohm cabs. I gambled by ordering the Avatar sight unseen and it sounds fabulous. Very rocky....breaks up a little earlier than the 1x12 mesa cab...understandably. Actually, on open chords you can hear individual notes slightly clearer with the 1x12. This is playing only for 1/2 hour for what that is worth......Thumbs up!!!!

Okay, time to hook up the AFD to the Avatar. Oh yeah.....bing! Best sound of the day! Crunchy, smoother, no harshness and highs are tamer. I'm not going to say this cab is the best thing since sliced bread, but it blows my other two cabs away as far as getting back the crunch and getting RID of the harshness. I'll need to play with the band and record and stuff like that but I'm pretty happy with this cab. Paid 647.00 out the door delivered. No casters.

Lastly, I really do like the VM through the mesa 1x12 C-90 cab. At low volumes (studio or lower) it sounds great and doesn't have to bore holes in the wall to get that crunch.

Here is a snip it from my iPhone of the first few minutes of playing through the Avatar. I hope this youTube posts right. Never have posted a youTube clip.

[youtube][/youtube]

-- Thu May 12, 2011 4:22 pm --

Dang, I don't know how to post an imbedded youtube clip onto this forum. Surf?

Fixed it for you
Vavoom
Newbury Park, CA

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 12 May 2011, 17:43

The cabinet sounds good through the AFD. Just keep in mind Greenbacks take a good 25 hours of playing time before they break in nicely, so the cabinet will sound better the more its played. Give it a good year and you will love it. Sometime I think I am still breaking in a couple of my cabinets.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 12 May 2011, 23:44

Sounds great ! Love those greenbacks ...
But the logo is off .... :ball kick
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 13 May 2011, 03:03

gtrman wrote:Sounds great ! Love those greenbacks ...
But the logo is off .... :ball kick
Definitely does sound good. Makes me wish I had a 4x12 with greenies for mine, whenever it gets here. But I only had enough dough for an avatar 2x12 with hellatones, which do sound great at least with the class 5.

Hey he could always throw the speakers in the Marshall cab as he doesn't like it anyway.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Vavoom
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby Vavoom » 13 May 2011, 10:26

I took the youTube post of the Avatar off. It sucked too badly. I want to record with a video cam or sm57 to get the cabs real sound. Also not wank so badly. So I'll work on a better representation next time.

-- Sun May 15, 2011 10:15 pm --

Here is another example of the Avatar 4x12 cab with my Les Paul 59 RI and yes, my trusty iPhone....sorry for the crappy audio. I tell ya though, the cab and the Paul grab that vibe. I have been trying to break in this cabinet now for a few days. Have been totally thrilled with it. I can see buying a 2x12 from Avatar at a later date. Here is the intro to Starlight.

Surf, how do you post youTube links so you can see the actual link here?
And thanks for posting my last vid.
Vavoom
Newbury Park, CA

maxamus
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 4 times

Postby maxamus » 19 May 2011, 22:30

I have been reading back through the blogs on the AFD100 website and found a section were Slash was answering questions,

My question for Slash!
We know the cabinet have an importance in the sound (the same amp can sound different with two differents cabinets, so for the research and development of the amp what cabinet do you choice? Cabinet with V30 or Greenback?

Slash: V30.

Also a question answered by Santiago regarding the cab,

Slash uses V30 speakers so the 1960AV/BV are indeed the right cabinets. That's also the speaker we are using to develop the amp.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 19 May 2011, 23:38

maxamus wrote:I have been reading back through the blogs on the AFD100 website and found a section were Slash was answering questions,

My question for Slash!
We know the cabinet have an importance in the sound (the same amp can sound different with two differents cabinets, so for the research and development of the amp what cabinet do you choice? Cabinet with V30 or Greenback?

Slash: V30.

Also a question answered by Santiago regarding the cab,

Slash uses V30 speakers so the 1960AV/BV are indeed the right cabinets. That's also the speaker we are using to develop the amp.

His main recording cab is loaded with four 25 watt Greenbacks so don't always believe everything. Use Your Illusions 1 & 2 Snake Pit 1 & 2 and both VR albums were done with Greenies. Live is Vintage 30 and maybe a few exceptions for recorded tracks but certainly the main majority was Greenbacks.

Slash does need to keep a few secrets in his tool bag, so I find this to be propaganda. Try both V30 and GBs out side by side after being broken in and reset the settings on the amp to fit tone you're trying to copy and I'd bet the Greenies fit the bill for 90% of the recorded stuff. Definitely on the #34 side of things.

What this tells me is its either propaganda or somebody needs to get their stories straight (Adam Day, Slash & Marshall lol love em all of course! :) ). In a perfect world Get both cabs keep em and call it a day!
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

maxamus
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 4 times

Postby maxamus » 20 May 2011, 00:37

Man i hear what your saying :Thumbs i thought i would post that info as most people are saying that the afd100 was designed using the V30s even though Slash probably used greenbacks on the afd album,it just shows that they didnt design a perfect copy of the original head just one to sound like the album and when doing this they used V30s.If i could buy both cabs i would its just that here they cost about $1300 each and i dont have the cash for both and the closest dealer is like a 2hr drive.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 20 May 2011, 00:49

maxamus wrote:Man i hear what your saying :Thumbs i thought i would post that info as most people are saying that the afd100 was designed using the V30s even though Slash probably used greenbacks on the afd album,it just shows that they didnt design a perfect copy of the original head just one to sound like the album and when doing this they used V30s.If i could buy both cabs i would its just that here they cost about $1300 each and i dont have the cash for both and the closest dealer is like a 2hr drive.
I appreciate the info none the less....see its always been a guessing game for me, read all the info you can and eventually it gets pieced together to make something that fits. Just like how I could never figure out his UYI Tour tone and it came down to his Jubilees using KT88s instead of EL-34s, thats not a commonly known thing, mostly they claim for clean tone but all his silver ones had KT88s including the Dirty heads, the clean heads just had 7025 pre amps and the dirtys had 12AX7s.

I totally agree now,that its been modeled to be based off of certain tone and rather than confuse he Slash masses that already bought V30s they probably figured they'd model it off that. Plus a lot of people will be using it live so V30s would almost be required for the extra OOOMPH! :)

Who knows? lol
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”