Moderator: longfxukxnhair

noise5150
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 17 times
Been liked: 59 times

Question about the concept of the AFD100

Postby noise5150 » 16 May 2011, 07:24

I have a question about the concept of the AFD100 or any signature amp I guess for that matter. When Slash used the original modded amp in 1987 to record the AFD, aside from the amp, there were several factors that led to the sound that you hear through your speakers/headphones as a final product. Just to expand on this here is what I mean. The chain goes something like this: The amp itself, the cabinet and speakers, Slash's guitar and pickups, the Mics used, the ambiance of the room, the effects used pre and post production, EQ, compression, the board used for the tracks, the type of recording (analog vs digital or both), the choices made by the producer and engineer, the mastering process and then finally your home speakers/headphones. My question is this. I assume they made the AFD100 to match the mods in the original amp as closely as possible without actually having it in front of them to copy. Is the tone of the AFD100 going to be what you hear on the album? With all of those factors affecting the tone, it seems almost impossible. I understand that the original amp was modded to pretty much resemble a JCM800. I also wonder if you can achieve 90% of the same basic tone with that amp and a Slash Les Paul.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Question about the concept of the AFD100

Postby kissfanps » 16 May 2011, 08:12

I think Slash and Santiago tried their hardest to copy the SIR amp (whatever it actually was). Of course there were tons of other factors involved in the studio that led to the sound you hear when you press play. However, the amp and les paul (slash or not), will get you pretty damn close to the sound. In all honesty, you wont get the true sound unless you have his fingers.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

CBoothe
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 17 times

Postby CBoothe » 16 May 2011, 16:46

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but you've touched on a point that frustrates me. I watch all these you tube videos, listen to recordings, demos, albums etc... and I can NEVER get the same sound I hear, even when I KNOW I have exactly the same gear.

I love my amps and gear, don't get me wrong. And I can make them sound sweet. But too often I end up trying to make it sound exactly like a tone I hear-whether its a pedal demo, amp demo, whatever. And for the reasons you mentioned, I can never get it there. The way it's miked, the post production, and yes, my own fingers.

I just need to remind myself that sometimes or I will drive myself nuts! :high

-- Mon May 16, 2011 6:47 pm --

I don't mean to hijack the thread, but you've touched on a point that frustrates me. I watch all these you tube videos, listen to recordings, demos, albums etc... and I can NEVER get the same sound I hear, even when I KNOW I have exactly the same gear.

I love my amps and gear, don't get me wrong. And I can make them sound sweet. But too often I end up trying to make it sound exactly like a tone I hear-whether its a pedal demo, amp demo, whatever. And for the reasons you mentioned, I can never get it there. The way it's miked, the post production, and yes, my own fingers.

I just need to remind myself that sometimes or I will drive myself nuts! :high
Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded
Gibson Les Paul Classic Ebony
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Cherry Sunburst
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Heritage Light Burst
Gibson SG Standard-Heritage Cherry
Marshall SL5
Marshall JCM1C
Marshall JVM410HJS
Marshall Slash Cab w/ V30s
Marshall 425A
Voodoo Modded Marshall JVM 410
Marshall 1960AV Loaded with V30/G12H30
Axe Fx II
Atomic 50/50 Power Amp
Run into All Cabs

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 17 May 2011, 05:41

Truthfully, I never focus on getting someone's tone because I know it will never be the same. I just get in the ballpark and the rest is up to me. Its my own and I fucking love it. If you dont have a shit eating grin when you crank an amp and play, something is wrong.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 17 May 2011, 13:09

It can't be overemphasized how important the mic, mic placement, and limiting/compression used are to the recording (among those other things). That is a huge part of the recorded sound. You can get 90% close with that amp and guitar mentioned though.
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”