djb2332
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

AFD owners help!

Postby djb2332 » 10 Jun 2011, 11:27

Hey,

I'm on my second AFD 100, running it through a 1960AV cab using either an Appetite Les Paul or a Flying V.

If I set it up using Slash's settings. i.e. all dials on 6, I get one hell of a muffled tone. The only way to brighten it up so it sounds better is to crank the presence up to 9. Even then it sounds average, not close to the incredible sounds people are raving about or demo's online.

Also if I have the gain and master set to 6 and the power all the way down, it's still pretty loud. In fact the power dial doesn't do anything until i turn it to around 4 or 5, at this point the amp starts getting louder. So the .1 watt at the lowest setting seems to be bull.

Can any of you out there with a similar set up let me know if your experiences are similar? This is my second AFD100. I sent the first back but this replacement is virtually the same.... drives my nuts. My VIntage Modern combo has way more gain and bite....

Thanks!

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Re: AFD owners help!

Postby slash-ed » 10 Jun 2011, 12:27

Hey dude. It sounds like there's something wrong somewhere unfortunately.

The power scaling on it's lowest wattage setting should be VERY soft, in fact you should be able to talk over it.

Also, I've found it to be a very very trebly amp, so it sounds weird that you're getting a muffled sound and have to crank the presence to 9. Using a Les Paul I usually have the presence around 6-7 and it cuts just fine.

Have you checked that none of the valves are faulty etc? Bias range correct?
www.six-string-samurai.com
Gear talk for the GAS-afflicted.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 10 Jun 2011, 13:55

I find that when I use the power control to get to bedroom level that I have to turn the presence up. No big deal. The reason Slash's setting work so well is I doubt he using any attenuation. Where did you find those anyway?

Yes, the VM does seem to have more gain and the gain is a little bittier (for lack of a better word) at least lower volumes, but it is a completely different amp. Why would you expect the AFD to sound like the VM?

Can you be more clear with your power problems. I am having a little trouble understanding.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 10 Jun 2011, 14:55

My AFD is not very trebly. In fact it´s very fat sounding wich i like since i don´t care much for Slash tone. Way to trebly for me. I think it´s got some old classic Marshall feel to it. I think the AFD tone on the record comes not just from the amp. It´s all the stuff in the studio also. And 0,1 Watt is louder than you think. I can´t turn the master up to more than 3 or 4 like that without disturbing my neighbours.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 10 Jun 2011, 15:06

I did some experimenting.

With no power attenuation (100W) and master at 1 (1/10) you can find an approximately equivalent level with full attenuation (0.1W) and the master at 7 (7/10).

Next, I took some levels with a dBSPL meter from radio shack.

I set the master to 6 and measure from approximately 1 foot away.

At full attenuation you get roughly 85 dB.

The next increase in volume happens when you cross 2, which increases it to 91dB. Obviously the power control is not a smooth continuous control, but rather works in step. Or at least it appears to with the way the human ear works. You get 3dB increase every time you double power and 3dB is about the smallest increase in volume the human ear can recognize.

The strange thing is that when turn the knob down, you don't get full attenuation until you hit roughly 1.5. The spots are different depending on which way you are turning the knob. :dunno
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby slash-ed » 10 Jun 2011, 20:15

kissfanps wrote:
Yes, the VM does seem to have more gain and the gain is a little bittier (for lack of a better word) at least lower volumes, but it is a completely different amp.
I've gotta say, I disagree completely with this statement. The AFD has SO MUCH MORE gain on tap than the VM!!!
Mats A wrote:My AFD is not very trebly. In fact it´s very fat sounding wich i like since i don´t care much for Slash tone. Way to trebly for me. I think it´s got some old classic Marshall feel to it. I think the AFD tone on the record comes not just from the amp. It´s all the stuff in the studio also. And 0,1 Watt is louder than you think. I can´t turn the master up to more than 3 or 4 like that without disturbing my neighbours.
I'm confused... your AFD isn't trebly, but you think Slash tone is too trebly for you. Does that mean you don't think the AFD sounds like Slash tone? :bgrin

Just cos it sounds fat/thick doesn't mean there isn't a huge amount of treble, it's just that the rest of the tonal spectrum balances out the treble...
www.six-string-samurai.com
Gear talk for the GAS-afflicted.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 10 Jun 2011, 20:38

A 3 dB increase is significant, for every 3dB increase you have a doubling of sound pressure. You can talk over 85 dB for very short distances.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 11 Jun 2011, 05:59

surfnorthwest wrote:A 3 dB increase is significant, for every 3dB increase you have a doubling of sound pressure. You can talk over 85 dB for very short distances.
3dB is a doubling of sound intensity. 6dB is a doubling of sound pressure. http://www.sengpielaudio.com/TableOfSou ... Levels.htm

What I was saying was that the average human ear cannot recognize that perceived volume has changed with an increase of one 1 or 2dB. it takes an increase of 3dB.
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Jun 2011, 07:39

correct
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 12 Jun 2011, 03:48

slash-ed wrote:
kissfanps wrote:
Yes, the VM does seem to have more gain and the gain is a little bittier (for lack of a better word) at least lower volumes, but it is a completely different amp.
I've gotta say, I disagree completely with this statement. The AFD has SO MUCH MORE gain on tap than the VM!!!
Mats A wrote:My AFD is not very trebly. In fact it´s very fat sounding wich i like since i don´t care much for Slash tone. Way to trebly for me. I think it´s got some old classic Marshall feel to it. I think the AFD tone on the record comes not just from the amp. It´s all the stuff in the studio also. And 0,1 Watt is louder than you think. I can´t turn the master up to more than 3 or 4 like that without disturbing my neighbours.
I'm confused... your AFD isn't trebly, but you think Slash tone is too trebly for you. Does that mean you don't think the AFD sounds like Slash tone? :bgrin

Just cos it sounds fat/thick doesn't mean there isn't a huge amount of treble, it's just that the rest of the tonal spectrum balances out the treble...
I´ve recorded with it and when i play it in the AFD mode it doesnt sound anything like Slash tone even though i play a Les Paul also. Then i have never tried to sound like that since i don´t like his tone that much. Although i think he has a much better tone on the Velvet Revolver and his newest solo album. I just get a real good rock and roll sound out of the amp. The #34 mode is a different tone more like Slash and it´s great for cleaner tones on the neck pickup.

According to the VM i think it has less gain than the AFD and i get a thinner more bottomless sound with it.

djb2332
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby djb2332 » 12 Jun 2011, 14:17

kissfanps wrote:I did some experimenting.

With no power attenuation (100W) and master at 1 (1/10) you can find an approximately equivalent level with full attenuation (0.1W) and the master at 7 (7/10).

Next, I took some levels with a dBSPL meter from radio shack.

I set the master to 6 and measure from approximately 1 foot away.

At full attenuation you get roughly 85 dB.

The next increase in volume happens when you cross 2, which increases it to 91dB. Obviously the power control is not a smooth continuous control, but rather works in step. Or at least it appears to with the way the human ear works. You get 3dB increase every time you double power and 3dB is about the smallest increase in volume the human ear can recognize.

The strange thing is that when turn the knob down, you don't get full attenuation until you hit roughly 1.5. The spots are different depending on which way you are turning the knob. :dunno
Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate you taking the time to test things out. Just to be clear; with your AFD100, would you say that the first 4 steps of attenuation are very noticeable increments. i.e. the difference from 1 to 2 is a clear increase in volume?

I've been playing around and with the attenuator set at 5 things start sounding better - sure I've got to crank the gain up louder now to get that trebbley crunch but at least it doesn't sound all muffled as when the attenuators set to max, i.e. 0. I've got a feeling that that attenuation is a work in progress as right now it's not the magic bullet that seemed to be the case from watching the demo's etc.

The odds of me getting 2 amps with the exact same 'fault' are minute right? Must be me and my ears! Also r.e. the Les Paul, mine has alnico Pro II slash pickups which aren't as bright as stock LP humbuckers?

Thanks.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Mats A » 12 Jun 2011, 14:44

With the Power Scaling only the output valves get pushed and not the output transformer like it normally gets when playing loud. So i guess it´s some kind of compromise. Just like when using an attenuator you get both the output valves and transformer pushed but then it messes up the interaction between the amp and speaker.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere

Postby kissfanps » 12 Jun 2011, 15:04

djb2332 wrote:
Thanks for all the feedback. Really appreciate you taking the time to test things out. Just to be clear; with your AFD100, would you say that the first 4 steps of attenuation are very noticeable increments. i.e. the difference from 1 to 2 is a clear increase in volume?

The odds of me getting 2 amps with the exact same 'fault' are minute right? Must be me and my ears! Also r.e. the Les Paul, mine has alnico Pro II slash pickups which aren't as bright as stock LP humbuckers?

Thanks.
Can you be more specific when you say "steps"? Are you referring to moving from no attenuation and turning the knob counter-clockwise or moving from full attenuation and turning the knob clockwise? Also, when you say step are you referring to 1/10, 2/10, etc. or do you mean every time you actually hear a change or are you referring to diagram in the manual?

As far as the pick ups go, alnico 5s tend to be more aggressive than 2s. Also stock humbuckers differ from model to model.
Marshall Class 5
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”