Moderator: longfxukxnhair

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Finally... AFD in tha house..

Postby JkGriffin » 13 Jul 2011, 10:04

Friday: So I contacted the store in which I purchased the AFD+cab to find out whats taking so long.
E-mail reply: The amp was sent last Wednesday
E-mail reply: Oh wait... the cab was sent on Wednesday

So another weekend with waiting...

Monday: well, we can't just sit home and wait for that amp to show, so my wife and I decided to take a drive and take in to a hotel somewhere. Our little vacation this year. Well, one hour into the trip I got a text message on my phone. Your AFD and cabinet has arrived... I also got an e-mail from the dude I bought it from that he's been on vacation, but in case I hadn't got a reply yet... the amp arrived on FRIDAY... doh... :doh
I could have had it all weekend... gotten used to it and commenced planning other purchases :think
Well... I knew I had to wait until Wednesday (today)... Looking forward to it... but last evening I found that my mother in law would come visit us today. Meaning I have to wait another day.

Today: WOHOOO.... picked up the amp and cabinet. Got to try it a little together with my... step-father in law.... Funfun. But of course a short pleasure. Can't sit here jamming all day. Well... at least I got it now and maybe I'll make a new "my rig" post as it has been upgraded some since last time.

QUESTION: The cabinet came undamaged and all... sounded nice with the AFD100 as well... but usually I find a "golden" tag on the bottom left corner stating what cabinet it is... you know... 1960 LEAD or something... in this case I would expect 1960AV. There is a signholder, but I didn't find a sign... and I tore the box apart in search for one... so the question is: Is the tag something I have to buy as extra?

I also got to try a Gibson Hummingbird... damn what a nice guitar. I've been reluctant to Gibson acoustic guitars since I've never really tried one I came even close to like... and the Hummingbird is not really up my alley with regards to the looks. To much fancy details on the pickguard. That's why I've never tried one. Not exactly pretty (IMO) and never tried a Gibson acoustic I liked... still I tried it and it was sonic bliss... Me want... me have to wait. Me spent all my wifes goodwill on quite a lot of other stuff these last couple of months... :dunno

Wildone
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 82 times
Been liked: 151 times

Re: Finally... AFD in tha house..

Postby Wildone » 13 Jul 2011, 10:55

I love this story, nothing like getting a new half stack. Many if the new cabinets do not have the tags on them anymore. If there is a question as to what the cabinet is and you can't find it on the cab or paperwork then open the back and take a peek.
Gibson R8 - Gibson Explorer - Gibson R7 Goldtop
Marshall 2466 - Marshall JMD1 - Marshall 1987
No one wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Jul 2011, 14:17

That didn't take long did it :bgrin Congrats on your new amp :yea

Buy your wife some flowers and take her to dinner, say something nice about her. Make it up if you have too. :laugh
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 13 Jul 2011, 14:30

Congrats!
My cab with Vintage 30´s has a gold plate with "1960 Vintage" written on it. But maybe they´ve stopped that.

cpubound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby cpubound » 13 Jul 2011, 17:25

[quote="JkGriffin"]Friday: this case I would expect 1960AV. There is a signholder, but I didn't find a sign... and I tore the box apart in search for one... so the question is: Is the tag something I have to buy as extra?

That bothers me. Why would there be a signholder. My slash signature stack has signs. I just checked them and I see that there is a gold plate mounted in the signholder. But on the slant cab the plate is loose in the holder. I guess I should get the glue out. Thanks for bringing it to my attention. Anyway, if you have a signholder it seems like you should have a sign. :wtf
Good luck
Plexi (1968-super lead 100w)
AFD100 - 1960ahw
VM 100w stack - purple - VM a/b cabs
VM combo - purple
YJM100 - 1960ax
2555sl (slash signature stack) - Slash sig a/b cabs
Jtm1-c, Jmp1-c, Jcm1-c
Hendrix or Young: I can't decide...

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 13 Jul 2011, 23:36

Congrats and have fun .. lots of fun with your new amp.
You will quickly find out what all the fuzz is about ....

And btw my 1960AV cab has a sign ... a Slash sign as it's his signature cab.
It was just a coincidence that I ended up with that one. I was looking for a used AV cab and this one popped up.
Didn't cost any more than a regular used 1960AV.
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 14 Jul 2011, 14:52

Ok... second impression (first one was in the store).

Brilliant amplifier... wow.

Played it a bit on the 30W attenuation today... Master and Gain at 7... man that's loud on a small room like mine.
My wife was surprisingly fine with it though :dance
I hadn't checked the Attenuation overview in the manual until afterwards... so I figure I was at about 30W.
I think I'll mostly play with around 3W though... don't want to ruin my hearing either... it's still quite loud.

I have earlier mentioned that I thought the #34 tone was very thin... but then I tried it on some sort of Mesa cabinet.
Not really that thin on my 1960AV... a little adjustment on the tone control on my Les Paul did the trick. Didn't need to change the tone control for the AFD mode either... so all good. Naturally, the AFD mode is still the mode I love most.

Tried to put some OD pedals in front of the amp, but that just killed it... haven't explored it really on the #34 mode yet though. But I don't think it'll contribute to the amp in any way. So what I'm picturing I'll end up with is reverb, delay and chorus in the FX-loop and guitar straight into the amplifier (maybe a tuner and a Wah). I tried that using the Malekko Chicklet, Strymon Brigadier and Retro Sonic Chorus... they sounded absolutely amazing in the FX-loop... not really that good in front of the amp.

I also found the cabinet badge... it must have fallen off because it was stuck to the cardboard box... inside one of those small pockets (if that makes sense to anyone). A little bent, but that's ok.

It didn't knock my Lil' Elvis off the self for sure... that'll be the main part of my sound still... although I'm confident that they'll work well together and the AFD will most likely take a big part of the lead sounds... you know... almost like Malcolm and Angus Young. Malcolm Young is not credited enough as he is the foundation of the AC/DC sound... while Angus Young is the cream on top :yea

So I'll have to sort out how I want to set up my pedals... what pedals I want where... but I'm loving this amp... and with the 1960AV cabinet it's a winner.
Can't wait till the cab gets broken in...

Currently I'm just using the two left speakers... The two right ones I'm thinking of replacing with a couple of Greenbacks at a later stage for a future VM...
Using the two leftover speakers to build my own cab sometime... But now I'm thinking far ahead... plans may change.
The procurement of the VM just got postponed as well since I'm not drooling over a Hummingbird.

cpubound
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby cpubound » 14 Jul 2011, 15:53

Mystery solved on the badge. :coool I also use the reverb and the digital delay in the fx loop. I put the tuner inline so I can use the button on the front of it to switch between 2 guitars. Glad everthing is working out for you. Rock on. :jam
Plexi (1968-super lead 100w)
AFD100 - 1960ahw
VM 100w stack - purple - VM a/b cabs
VM combo - purple
YJM100 - 1960ax
2555sl (slash signature stack) - Slash sig a/b cabs
Jtm1-c, Jmp1-c, Jcm1-c
Hendrix or Young: I can't decide...

Doc Holliday
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 107 times
Been liked: 469 times

Postby Doc Holliday » 15 Jul 2011, 01:42

Sweet child of mine! That took along time didnt it!

My dad has it. I've been round and tried it out on many occasion. It really is a great amp.
Gibson 58 Historic les Paul
Tokai love rock gold top Les Paul
Fender reverse headstock strat
Tokai TV yellow Les Paul special
Tokai TV yellow DC les Paul
Gibson SG Jr

Gibson 1955 GA-5 jr
Gibson 1955 GA-7 special
Gibson1960 skylark
Gibson 1961 skylark w/trem
Silvertone 1963 1481
Gibson 1957 GA-6
Gibson 1957 GA-20T
Gibson 1960 GA-14
Fender 63’ reverb reissue
Lazy J 10LC

www.youtube.com/user/memygtar

Instagram page: the_doc_holliday

Encore
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 55 times
Been liked: 19 times

Postby Encore » 15 Jul 2011, 02:11

Congratulations JkGriffin! Enjoy your AFD ! :Thumbs
Amps: AFD 100 - 1960 AV - Vintage Modern 2466 - Class 5 Combo MK1
Guitars: Gibson SG Standard (SD APH-2s) - Fender Stratocaster Highway One

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 15 Jul 2011, 17:30

papa seano wrote:Sweet child of mine! That took along time didnt it!

My dad has it. I've been round and tried it out on many occasion. It really is a great amp.
Love how you can use that song title as a "DAMN" :clap
Which reminded me. :computer
Me an me wife took a drive to Ålesund (small town in Norway) and stayed there a couple of days.
When I go to new places I love to check out guitar dealers... so when we arrived it was too late for even hope that it was open, but we took a stroll around town to figure out where to go the next day. We found the local dealer and on the door there was a poster. A newly started rock pub was searching for troubadours, two man bands and small bands to play there... Note: If you play Smoke on the Water and Sweet Child O' Mine, don't bother.
Encore wrote:Congratulations JkGriffin! Enjoy your AFD ! :Thumbs
Thank you sir... I am :shredder

SmAsH
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby SmAsH » 12 Sep 2011, 08:36

I now the proud owner of an AFD100 myself!!!

Played it for about and hour and absolutely love it.

The powerscale feature is amazing. The fx loop boost option is wicked for a Lead Boost.

I am totally impressed.

Funny story. I saw it for sale on a local site and made the dude an offer. He wanted $2100.00 Can, so I offered him $1800.00 and he took it. Said he needed the money. I felt bad when he left cause it looked like he was parting with something that he really didnt want to let go.

I have been looking for one of these for sale for months, and finally it happened. Considering there are only a 100 sold in Canada.

Man i am so stoked to get home and crank on this thing tonight.

AFD in da house!!

Cheers.

2010 Gibson Les Paul Standard Gold Top
Vintage Modern 2266 with 425A Cab
AFD100 Slash Signature
Silver Jubilee 2555x
*Guitars equipped with RS Guitarworks Superpots, Wired 50's style, 0.015, 0.022 PIO Caps

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 12 Sep 2011, 10:56

Congrats it´s a great amp. Had mine since march and used it on a couple of gigs.

SmAsH
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 8 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby SmAsH » 13 Sep 2011, 05:40

Mats A wrote:Congrats it´s a great amp. Had mine since march and used it on a couple of gigs.
Thanks man.

I will be using it at a gig this weekend. Its nice to have a little piece of history in your possession.

And to be 1 of only 2300 possible owners in the world, is pretty cool.

I mean what is there not to like about this amp. Lead Boost for solos...check!!, Marshall growl...check!!, Power Scale to control stage volume....Check!!, I can have a 1watt amp or a 100watt at my Disposal...Check!!, Autobiasing.....Check!!, can use different Power Tubes with the head...and Autobias according to the chart...Check!!! Can use AFD mode when practicing by myself, and use 34 mode when I play Live to cut thru the mix....Check!!

Man this is the sweetest thing ever. I love my VM. The AFD 100 is pure heaven. Pure freakin heaven.
I feel like Slash everytime I plug in. :headbanger :headbanger :headbanger

2010 Gibson Les Paul Standard Gold Top
Vintage Modern 2266 with 425A Cab
AFD100 Slash Signature
Silver Jubilee 2555x
*Guitars equipped with RS Guitarworks Superpots, Wired 50's style, 0.015, 0.022 PIO Caps

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”