Moderator: longfxukxnhair

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Your AFD100 Settings

Postby JkGriffin » 08 Aug 2011, 06:17

I was just looking for somewhere to compare settings... didn't find any... so here goes...

Anyone got a real good UYI setting for the AFD/#34 mode?

Please also include which guitar you're using for the setting... and don't be afraid to include several settings if you're using this...

Ok... so here is my settings at the time being... at it just may stay that way a while.
I now use the same setting for both modes... works like a charm on both my Les Paul and Telecaster... then I don't worry to much about the rest.

JkGriffin AFD100 Settings:
Power: 2-3 (1-3W) for fiddling around... Small room, so it's loud enough for this venue.
Presence: 4
Bass: 7
Middle: 6
Treble: 4
Master: 6
Gain: 7
Input: I

In addition I use the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive, all knobs on 11 o'clock. Doesn't do much for the AFD mode, so it can stay on, but it makes a world of difference on the #34 mode. To think of that I just recently tried to sell it... Changed my mind in time though... It just sound so awesome between my Telecaster and Lil' Elvis as well...

Now I know what you're all thinking... That JkGriffin is nothing less then a pure genious, but humble as I am, I'll can reveal to you that I found the settings on this video:
[youtube][/youtube]

It sounded like he was really happy about his sound, so I gave it a go... despite the fact that I don't think the sound on the video really is that great... but it sounded like he was on to something. He uses a Maxon 808 pedal in the #34 mode to juice it up, which should be in the same vicinity as my Mad Prof. Little Green Wonder... but the Professor didn't work well with the AFD. I'm basically keeping that for the day that I get a Vintage Modern again (it really sound awesome with the VM)... Well, anyways... the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive was there... ready to go... next to the professor... so I hit the button... Really gave me a reason to smile. That's the sound... that's it right there...

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Re: Your AFD100 Settings

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 08 Aug 2011, 14:31

JkGriffin wrote:I was just looking for somewhere to compare settings... didn't find any... so here goes...

Please also include which guitar you're using for the setting... and don't be afraid to include several settings if you're using this...

Ok... so here is my settings at the time being... at it just may stay that way a while.
I now use the same setting for both modes... works like a charm on both my Les Paul and Telecaster... then I don't worry to much about the rest.

Power: 2-3 (1-3W) for fiddling around... Small room, so it's loud enough for this venue.

In addition I use the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive, all knobs on 11 o'clock. Doesn't do much for the AFD mode, so it can stay on, but it makes a world of difference on the #34 mode. To think of that I just recently tried to sell it... Changed my mind in time though... It just sound so awesome between my Telecaster and Lil' Elvis as well...

Now I know what you're all thinking... That JkGriffin is nothing less then a pure genious, but humble as I am, I'll can reveal to you that I found the settings on this video:
[youtube][/youtube]

It sounded like he was really happy about his sound, so I gave it a go... despite the fact that I don't think the sound on the video really is that great... but it sounded like he was on to something. He uses a Maxon 808 pedal in the #34 mode to juice it up, which should be in the same vicinity as my Mad Prof. Little Green Wonder... but the Professor didn't work well with the AFD. I'm basically keeping that for the day that I get a Vintage Modern again (it really sound awesome with the VM)... Well, anyways... the Sonic Edge J&J Overdrive was there... ready to go... next to the professor... so I hit the button... Really gave me a reason to smile. That's the sound... that's it right there...
Get the new single conductor Slash Alnico 2's and you'll be able to plug straight in without any pedals in the way to get that UYI tone. The new pickups have a little more output and when using Slash's recommended pickup height you get all that juicy sustain & bite.

They are the same wind as his main recording guitar he used on that album.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

Slashwannabe1
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 182 times
Been liked: 98 times

Postby Slashwannabe1 » 08 Aug 2011, 14:32

JkGriffin wrote:I was just looking for somewhere to compare settings... didn't find any... so here goes...

[youtube][/youtube]

Get the new single conductor Slash Alnico 2's and you'll be able to plug straight in without any pedals in the way to get that UYI tone. The new pickups have a little more output and when using Slash's recommended pickup height you get all that juicy sustain & bite.

They are the same wind as his main recording guitar he used on that album.
Amplifiers: Marshall 2555x 100watt Silver Jubilee Full Stack with matching 2551AV & 2551BV 8x12 70 watt Vintage 30 speakers.
Marshall 2466 100watt Vintage Modern w/ Matching 425A cab
1966 Fender Bandmaster
Effects: MXR:M234 Analog Chorus, Phase90, Slash Octave Fuzz, Slash SC95 Wah. BOSS: RV-3 & DD3 Reverb & Delay, GE-7 EQ,NS-2 Noise Suppressor, CS-3 Compression Sustainer
Guitars: 6 Les Pauls with Seymour Duncan Alnico 2 Pro Pickups.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 08 Aug 2011, 14:38

Well... the reason I sought the UYI sound was as a starting point... I found it challenging to get a good juicy tone and figured that if I found a good UYI tone, then I could use that to work from. My setting doesn't give you the proper UYI tone... which is not the goal in itself either. I just wanted it to sound like a juicy Marshall... Mission accomplished. I will upgrade my Les Paul sometime in the future and I'm sure I'll change pickups as well. But I don't know which way to go with that... but I'll keep your suggestion in mind though.

Patrik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Patrik » 09 Aug 2011, 11:59

I play a les paul custom most of the time. It's got a Duncan 59 at the neck and a Duncan JB at the bridge and it's a bright sounding instrument compared to my other guitars.
Settings for this guitar:

The AFD mode only
Power: As high as possible
Presence: 2,5
Middle: 4
Treble: 3
Gain: 6

No boost pedal, I don't need one with this amp, that's the real beauty of it, just a Wha and occasionally a Boss flanger straight in and a
TC Electronic Flashback in the loop.
I use the loop as a volume boost for solos.
Guitar volume on:
10 for lead playing
8 for rhythm
3 for clean (cleaner is maybe a better word for it)
This gives me a real fat sound and I'm very happy with it
Gibson Les Paul Standard, Les Paul Custom, Les Paul Classic, SG Custom, SG Dickey Betts, SG Special
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall YJM 100, AFD 100, 4102, 2555 X, 1960A, 1936V

Slash1337
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 29 times
Been liked: 78 times

Postby Slash1337 » 17 Aug 2011, 18:21

Power - noon
Presence - 3.5
Bass - 7
Middle - 7.5
Treble - 6
Volume - Noon
Gain - 7
AFD Mode
Input 1

Then a MXR-10 in the loop for whenever I want to use it :P

I've only had it a couple days, so it'll probably be tweaked. Trying to find my own sound with it along with keeping some of that slash vibe the amp is all about
"Please allow me to introduce myself, I'm a man of wealth and taste"
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Roadster
Marshall AFD100
Gibson R9 Faded Tobacco
60' Gibson Goldtop LP
Epiphone Elitist LP Custom
Marshall 1960TV w/ G12H Greenbacks
Crybaby Zakk Wylde
Dunlop Heil Talk Box

http://www.facebook.com/Deadrivalsofficial

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”