sv777
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

New to forum just took shipment of my first Marshall

Postby sv777 » 13 Sep 2011, 21:59

Hi guys,

Im a 43 year old guitarist in Long Island...playing over 25 years and decided to get my first Marshall ...god knows why it took this long.
I have always bought channel switching amps and dont know why...currently have a 5150 iii and Mesa Mark V.

Im amp / cord / guitar player...maybe just a little delay in loop...and use my pu selector / volume knob/ tone knob for all my tones. I never like changing channels ..it always seems too artificial in a live setting.

So looking for a single channel MArshall thats was good for live / bedroom use I decided why not an AFD100. I like Slash and GNR but I dont own a Les Paul...cant play SweetChild of Mine to save my life ...and wasnt into just copping tones off AFD...perfect amp for me..lol

Well let me just say..the mixed reviews scared me a bit...but once I turned this up through a Mesa 4x12....all fears were gone. Yes its a bright amp....but the high end is manageable with EQ tweaking or tone knob turning. Bewteen the power , master, and gain there are tons of different nuances in tone available. The attenuator works very well but it sounds fuller when power is at least at 2 o clock ....AFD mode cooks and has tons of gain. The big surprise is that #34 mode with a quick EQ adjustment cranks as well. My whole neck becomes a sweet spot where any note fades out to musical feedback...I absolutely love it.

Tons of harmonic overtones bouncing out of the speakers.

Responds to volume rolling nicely ...clean enough for me.

Bringing it to the studio this week to track some songs with band ..cant wait to open it up a bit and hear it in a band mix.

Glad I got one ...thanks Sweetwater ( Ben Porter )for getting me a factory fresh one.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: New to forum just took shipment of my first Marshall

Postby surfnorthwest » 13 Sep 2011, 22:05

Welcome to the forum, a lot of AFD owners here. Well that is one hell of a Marshall for your first one, congrats. I agree the guys at Sweetwater are good to deal with. I think you will find that the brightness that gets in the craw of many on the reviews actually works very well to really cut through the mix in a live band situation. Of course it may sound bright or thin by itself but with the entire band going it will deliver.

Welcome to Marshall.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”