slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 11 times

Satriani JVM with AFD based channel??

Postby slash-ed » 29 Sep 2011, 16:50

http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue2/page/102

Interview with Santiago that states that Satriani's modded JVMs have an AFD based red channel.

Is this going to be replicated in the production model?? Cos if so.. that feels like a bit of a stab in the back for AFD owners - diluting the uniqueness of the AFD100 amps.

Santiago, if you're able and don't mind, could you comment a bit more on this please?
www.six-string-samurai.com
Gear talk for the GAS-afflicted.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Satriani JVM with AFD based channel??

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Sep 2011, 06:06

I listened to the entire interview, honestly I like what I heard. I did not get the vibe that the JVM was now voiced exactly like the AFD, only that it was going to be "like it".

Sounded like Joe really suggested some nice things on the amp, voicing from the 6100, to the 2203KK, to the AFD all with noise gates. Best to wait and see what it really is after production before anyone thinks Marshall is screwing anyone. The AFD100 does the #34 and the AFD sound, thats the amp. This one seems to take the channels of the current JVM and modify them to Joe's liking.

It does sound like a very interesting amp.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0

Postby Steven Latch » 30 Sep 2011, 11:19

It sounds like the JVM Satch will be really cool. From what I read on other forums Satch's main gripe with the JVM was the compressed sounding gain, and he wanted a more vintage/open sounding amp.

Now with regards to the "AFD" mode, I don't believe an amp with 12 modes will be able to replicate exactly each amp it is supposed to model. Guys that like to have a plethora of sounds at their disposals are likely to love the JVM while single channel amp buffs will always prefer to have a JCM800 to get the JCM800 sound.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Postby JkGriffin » 30 Sep 2011, 13:45

slash-ed wrote:http://licklibrary.ceros.com/iguitarmag/issue2/page/102

Interview with Santiago that states that Satriani's modded JVMs have an AFD based red channel.

Is this going to be replicated in the production model?? Cos if so.. that feels like a bit of a stab in the back for AFD owners - diluting the uniqueness of the AFD100 amps.
Personally I decided to wait for the 50th Anniversary amp to have permission to purchase that one... instead of the YJM100.
Now if the 50th Anniversary amp proves to be any spinoff from the JVM, then THAT would be a stab in the back... skipping the chance to get a YJM100 to wait for the chance of a golden JVM... that would be a stab in the back and a real kick in the balls.

I don't really care if it got an AFD-like channel... despite that I got an AFD.

Now since it seem like Marshall and Satch will be sending a Satch Signature JVM in the near future, I'm actually allowing myself to hope for something good for a 50th Anniversary amp. I just hope it is black with a golden logo... not all gold.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 Oct 2011, 05:38

Marshall has been pretty good keeping tight lipped on any new ranges coming. The Satch amp has gotten some noise but lets not get excited about it as there are some still waiting on the YJM. I am very amp happy right now so any new Marshall I would buy would have to offer something worth adding it to my current amps.

I suspect some of these amps may be ready to be shown at the NAMM 2012 show this January. I have a nice video recordered now that can take high SLPs, if these amps are there I will try and get some video of them for you guys.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

slash-ed
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 3 times

Postby slash-ed » 02 Oct 2011, 04:06

surfnorthwest wrote:I listened to the entire interview, honestly I like what I heard. I did not get the vibe that the JVM was now voiced exactly like the AFD, only that it was going to be "like it".

Sounded like Joe really suggested some nice things on the amp, voicing from the 6100, to the 2203KK, to the AFD all with noise gates. Best to wait and see what it really is after production before anyone thinks Marshall is screwing anyone. The AFD100 does the #34 and the AFD sound, thats the amp. This one seems to take the channels of the current JVM and modify them to Joe's liking.

It does sound like a very interesting amp.
Surf, there is part of the interview where Santiago says that the red channel is EXACTLY the same as the AFD.

It sounds like it's been very modularized with what Joe wants put in - bits of that amp, bits of this amp, which sounds really cool. But my original comment stands, if the AFD circuit is replicated 100% for that one channel, and mass produced, I'll still feel a little ripped off!
www.six-string-samurai.com
Gear talk for the GAS-afflicted.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 02 Oct 2011, 06:13

He says this project started in 2009, this is about the same time the AFD and the YJM were coming on the drawing board. Santiago is a busy guy. :bgrin

Here are some tweaks thus far;

More harmonic feedback over the standard JVM
No reverb, Reverb is removed
Modified the power supply to sound more open and less tight, less gain, more harmonic feedback
Same main transformers
Four Noise Gates (from the 2203KK)
Faster channel Switching down to 10ms
Changed the FX loop from parallel to a series loop
Clean Channel is a 6100 clone, less gain then the standard JVM
Crunch Orange is more "like" a 2203
Crunch Red is "like" the AFD

What I get from that (without putting words into Santiago's mouth) is that he used the AFD to describe this channel sound closest to what it is. I did not come away thinking for a minute that it is the AFD; only for lack of a better description or comparison word he said it "was like the AFD".

Sounds to me that the amp is still being tweaked and Joe is giving feedback to Santiago to work with. It sure sounded like there is still work to do before they have the final prototype for Joe to approve.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

okgb
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 1 time

Postby okgb » 02 Oct 2011, 14:01

Right , Red is a mode of the 4 channels
on the the JVM grp Santiago said basically that it would take another relay and programing so it wouldn't be easy to mod an existing jvm ch/ mode to the "afd " version that the satriani head has , AFD ? don't want to piss off all the people who bought JVM heads either .
you could also call this modded 80's mode as there seems to be a few
S.I.R. rental versions around [ # 34 # 36 # 39 ? ]
The real answer is you need to collect ALL models , or like i do
give yourself a spanking and just go play [ saves me money every time ]
I would think there will be enough to call it , not exactly the same
A 50th though will need to be a 10 ch monster with ALL the classics , ha!

Return to “Marshall AFD 100”