Moderator: longfxukxnhair

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul
Has Liked: 87 times
Been liked: 527 times

Bare Knuckle Abraxas

Postby aristotle » 25 Mar 2012, 14:42

I'm generally happy with the Burstbuckers that Gibson puts in its historic reissues. I've got a few of these things though, so I wanted to experiment around a little, but without really going too far from a PAF style pickup.

I just swapped in a pair of Bare Knuckle Abraxas pickups in my R7, which are working out great. They're hotter than the typical humbucker....and a little less bright on the bridge pickup (which I think is a good thing.) The bottom end seems better, and in general they just seem to have more punch.

For anybody looking for something for their Les Paul that has more punch, is a bit less harsh, and has plenty of output, Abraxas might be worth considering. They're really good in that JTM crunch range, and give plenty of control through the use of the volume pots.

They're a bit pricey, and in the end, they are just a (better in my opinion) variation on the PAF theme...so for those looking for a huge difference, they might not be the right choice.
Attachments
R7-BK-Abraxas.jpg
R7-BK-Abraxas.jpg (619.62 KiB) Viewed 1633 times

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Bare Knuckle Abraxas

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 Mar 2012, 15:50

I am very interested in a set of Abbraxas pickups for my Carvin. I have been wanting them for a bit now just been to damm busy to mess with pickups again. Chris George runs those in his Les Paul also, loves them.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LiveFreeOrDie
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 73 times
Been liked: 279 times

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » 30 Mar 2012, 11:03

I was just about to install the Suhr Doug Aldrich pick up in the bridge of my LP. I am now in a holding pattern until I get a chance to check these out.
Many Marshall's, and I want more.

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul

Postby aristotle » 30 Mar 2012, 20:53

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:I was just about to install the Suhr Doug Aldrich pick up in the bridge of my LP. I am now in a holding pattern until I get a chance to check these out.

Yeah...pickups are a tough deal. It's not like you can easily preview them yourself...and clips never really tell a good story. I took a chance on the Abraxas mainly based on the reputation of Bare Knuckle, and on the tone descriptions on the site. I was mainly looking for a PAF tone with a little extra somef'n somef'n. Listening to clips, if there is a really good player on a good amp with a good recording, it'll sound great regardless. And a crappy player with a crappy recording techniquqe...well, will sound crappy. Speaking of which, I did do a before and after clip on the same amp and same settings. I'll post that when I get a chance for what that's worth.

LiveFreeOrDie
Knighted
Knighted

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » 31 Mar 2012, 16:36

aristotle wrote:
LiveFreeOrDie wrote:I was just about to install the Suhr Doug Aldrich pick up in the bridge of my LP. I am now in a holding pattern until I get a chance to check these out.

Yeah...pickups are a tough deal. It's not like you can easily preview them yourself...and clips never really tell a good story. I took a chance on the Abraxas mainly based on the reputation of Bare Knuckle, and on the tone descriptions on the site. I was mainly looking for a PAF tone with a little extra somef'n somef'n. Listening to clips, if there is a really good player on a good amp with a good recording, it'll sound great regardless. And a crappy player with a crappy recording techniquqe...well, will sound crappy. Speaking of which, I did do a before and after clip on the same amp and same settings. I'll post that when I get a chance for what that's worth.
Yeah only way I've ever figured out pups, is by trying them and pulling them out if I don't like them. I would be interested in the before after clip.

aristotle
'54 Les Paul
'54 Les Paul

Postby aristotle » 01 Apr 2012, 10:29

LiveFreeOrDie wrote:I would be interested in the before after clip.
I hesitate to post this because it mainly proves that my recordings aren't up to the task of showing differences. Anyway, here it is. Just a very short clip of the same rhythm pattern just before and just after the swap. Strings were changed in the process. It was through the JTM-1 set to 8, bridge pickup only.

Should have made a longer clip, with difference settings, and of course with the neck pickup as well. Oh well...

[youtube][/youtube]

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 01 Apr 2012, 11:11

More bass and less harshness in the BK pickups.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LiveFreeOrDie
Knighted
Knighted

Postby LiveFreeOrDie » 02 Apr 2012, 08:45

I like darker pups. I like the BK better, more bottom. Thanks for posting!

Return to “Guitar Pickups”