Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lover

Postby surfnorthwest » 25 May 2012, 20:55

My new Godin midi guitar came with Seymour Duncan Custom Customs, I don't like them at all... way to harsh for my liking. I pulled the trigger on some Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lovers for it and thought those would sound great in this guitar. Any thoughts on those, the sound clips on their site sound great.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

mkstylee
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 6 times
Been liked: 47 times

Re: Seymour Duncan SH-55 Seth Lover

Postby mkstylee » 27 May 2012, 01:43

Hey surf,
The seth's are great pickups vintage tone and plenty of bottom end.although my les paul is a very dark instrument the bridge has a lovley vintage growl to it but the neck was too boomy for my guitar i would like to have tried the pup's in a different les paul but like i say the neck was boomy but most likley due to the darkness of my guitar ,i put a antiquity in as it cleaned it up a tad ,all in all the seth's are very nice if you like smooth 'full sounding pickups vitnage tone and not too hot.Just make sure your guitar it quite bright first. i have 50's wiring and luxe bumblebee caps.
My 2p worth. :coffee
Marshall JVM410JS modded
MARSHALL 2555X
Marshall 1987X
JCM 900 MK III 2100
JCM 900 SLX 2100
JCM 900 4100 DR
JMD 50 watt Head
2266 vintage modern head
Ceriatone JMP 68 spec bass 1986 ( bad ass)
1960a x 2 = 1 with greenbacks and 1 with 75's
7 strats
les paul standard with sd seth lover pups
patrick gigliotti gt custom ,joe bonamassa sig
sg standard
SG original
suhr mkI
3 teles

kerrpow
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 34 times
Been liked: 2 times

Postby kerrpow » 02 Jun 2012, 04:20

Surf,

I agree with you on the custom/custom. I was replacing a pick up in an Explorer I had ( ditched it a week ago, a dog of a guitar.not model) So I went with a custom/custom and It did absolutely nothing in that guitar. Poor choice on my part. I have a sd '59 in neck position in this other guitar I have and it sounds good,not muddy,very clear. But if I was to do it again I'd also try the seth.

Not much help but I'm w/you on the custom.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 06 Jul 2012, 13:38

Finally got around to putting these Seth Lovers in my Godin LGXT, the guitar is smoother now and these sound fantastic. Very impressed with the fullness and the bite. I think the older I get the more I don't care for the hot pickups anymore.

For me I was deciding between these and the Bare-knuckle Abraxsas, I am very happy with the choice.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

TubeStack
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Postby TubeStack » 06 Jul 2012, 14:25

Yes, great pickups, Surf. I have 'em in one of my LP's and love them. Very articulate but with lots of bite, nice and airy with great treble detail, and super juicy mids. I found the bridge to lack bottom end a bit, though that could be the guitar, and this characteristic probably helped make the mids so prominent. I also found the neck pup a bit boomy, as mkstylee says, but it was so clear and tasty, I didn't care that much.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”