Entwistle Humbuckers (Tanglewood TSE-505)

Discussion of guitar pickups and wiring

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

gtds
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 8 times
Been liked: 3 times

Entwistle Humbuckers (Tanglewood TSE-505)

Postby gtds » 04 Jan 2013, 14:11

Hi everyone!

Hope everyone's enjoyed their festive holidays. What did I miss? :)

Been away from this board throughout.

Last night I walked passed a second-hand charity shop and spotted a Tanglewood Les Paul style guitar. It was really cheap so thought I'd go for it. I asked in the shop if they had an amp I could try it with but of course they didn't so took the risk and bought it.

Got home, plugged it in and it sounds dull and muddy. It certainly could do with some some TLC: new strings, a good clean, perhaps new tuners as it doesn't stay in tune. But the real issue is the electrics are obviously not right. The bridge pickup volume on 10 is only as loud as the neck pickup on 5. Also, the tone knob on the bridge doesn't seem to alter the tone whatsoever.

The pickups I've read good things about but to me they sound muddy and lack any kind of definition. I'm guessing they're Entwistle Humbuckers, if we go by online specs of this guitar.

Any thoughts? Should I return it or is it worth modding it and restoring it. I picked it up as a cheapo guitar to mess with and perhaps mod but wasn't expecting it to sound so bad.

Can I add the action on it feels good.

gtds

washburn 1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Entwistle Humbuckers (Tanglewood TSE-505)

Postby washburn 1 » 06 Jan 2013, 23:20

hi gtds
once restrung you could always look at adjusting pickup height and also height of individual pole pieces. Should make SOME difference. From there its checking/bypassing components on the electronics side in search of duff gear. Have fun. The pole pieces certainly made a difference to my pickups. Keep us informed. All the best, Kev.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”