Moderator: longfxukxnhair

musicman
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Single coil size humbuckers

Postby musicman » 29 May 2009, 16:07

The P90 in my Tokai Les Paul Junior is convincing me that I need higher output pickups in my strat so I'm thinking of trying some single coil size humbuckers.
The Seymour Duncan "everything axe" set seems ideal but I'm not ruling any manufacturer in or out.
Just wondered if anyone had any experience of them ?
Experience of them with a VM even more welcome !
Thanks.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Single coil size humbuckers

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 May 2009, 21:09

Boy that is really a crap shoot since humbuckers on a Strat really ruin the reason for having one in my opinion. I use the Custom Shop Fat 50s in my Strat and can't think of a better pickup for it.

As far as humbuckers I know some guys that have tried the David Gilmour EMGs and really liked them. Also my amp tech has the DiMarzio Air Nortons and really likes those also. Choosing a pickup is always a bit risky because you truly will not know how they will sound with your guitar until after you have went the the work of changing them. Best thing to do is buy them from a retailer who will take them back for an exchange if you don't like them, that way you can try a bunch until you find what you like.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

bluesbrother
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 17 times

Postby bluesbrother » 30 May 2009, 09:44

surfnorthwest wrote:Boy that is really a crap shoot since humbuckers on a Strat really ruin the reason for having one in my opinion. I use the Custom Shop Fat 50s in my Strat and can't think of a better pickup for it.

As far as humbuckers I know some guys that have tried the David Gilmour EMGs and really liked them. Also my amp tech has the DiMarzio Air Nortons and really likes those also. Choosing a pickup is always a bit risky because you truly will not know how they will sound with your guitar until after you have went the the work of changing them. Best thing to do is buy them from a retailer who will take them back for an exchange if you don't like them, that way you can try a bunch until you find what you like.
The SCN ( samarian cobalt noiseless ) pickups designed by bill lawrence for fender are in fact little humbucker with normal
output. With the S-1 switch i can put them in series so i basically have a very powerfull humbucker. I hardly use this because
surf is right that it basically ruins the single coil sound. But when i use my brian may pedal and use the middle and bridge
pickups it is very handy . For palmmuted powerchords to get more Oomhp.. :think it is also very handy but not to leave
it on all the time .With the pickup you have in mind you would do this and you are not always gonna like it.....
epiphone les paul standard 1959 limited edition .
epiphone BB King Lucille
Orange Crush 35 RT
boss e-band JS-8 ( 32 GB for backing tracks)
beyer dynamic DT 880 Pro headphones.

musicman
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby musicman » 31 May 2009, 11:32

bluesbrother - I know !
I took the SCN's out of my deluxe strat to get more "straty" tones - sold them too - what a pillock !!
The thing is I'm doing more rock than pop now & the P90 sounds so good...
I might just add a hot bridge pup like the SSL-3.
Anyone tried one of these please ?

Return to “Guitar Pickups”