Moderator: longfxukxnhair

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Just Got DiMarzio's for my EPI

Postby HappyBlues » 01 Jul 2009, 02:55

So DiMarzio's arrived for my Epi LP. It's a AirBucker bridge and PAF Classic Neck...
As my shop I go to get everything couldn't get me an original Gibson 490r&t's for 3 months (not their fault... music instuments business suck big here) I found out that a luthier I send my guitars to has these DiMarzio's on stock which ain't exactly bad pickups, at least I heard so. So my EPI is going for surgery today and I'll have Gibson push-pull volume knobs installed with Series/Parallel humbucking thing done. Will let you know.

Note:

I know this won't make my Epi sound like Gibson Les Paul VOS '58 or even a Traditional, but hey, it's darn good bang for the buck ;)

Promise my next guitar will be a Gibson Les Paul Standard with Iced Tea finish... Or perhaps not... But until that I gotta invest something to my home also... You know, women don't get the romantic thing like living in a studio instead of nicely renowed flat...
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Re: Just Got DiMarzio's for my EPI

Postby HappyBlues » 02 Jul 2009, 00:05

So two things were a joy:
1st - DiMarzio's wiring scheme for Parallel/Series switching sucks big time.

2nd - One of two Gibson push/pull pots that took 2 MONTHS!!! to arrive didn't have screws and others parts with it... Wow! That instantly makes me want to FOOK gibson and buy a Tokai next time a buy a guitar...

So the wiring scheme was stupid which I know get and understand and so the sound is very funny now... I found proper scheme... So all I need is rewise and visit to a shop where missing components for a pot could be found. I can't believe Gibson would sell such a shit... Look it's stupid push pull pot, it takes 2 months to arrive to eastern europe and costs 17EUR which is daily salary of about 50% of people living here and it's not even complete... Wow! That is just amazing... Plainly amazing... I love "Made in USA" label because most often than not, at least in guitar area, means it's the real thing, but wow once again, never thinked it would make me sick when looking on it!

Sorry for so much rant...
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 02 Jul 2009, 06:28

Unless you are getting the Memphis electronics from Gibsons I would not bother with their pots, I really don't know how much of an improvemnet they would be over the stock Epi. I would just get the RS Guitarworks kit for it, they are pre wirered and work great. Can't beat this price of them either.

You need this one

http://www.rsguitarworks.net/rsstore/pr ... cts_id=153
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby HappyBlues » 02 Jul 2009, 14:46

Well I needed push pull pots. That's why stock epi's had to go...

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 02 Jul 2009, 16:54

RS has high quality CTS push/pull pots also. Much better than Gibson.
Check Seymour Duncan's website. They have just about every wiring diagram you can think of on there & they're pretty easy to understand.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby HappyBlues » 05 Jul 2009, 22:36

So, DiMarzio's are in, working...

First, I have to say I was really surprised how well Epi sounded with DiMarzios...

Second, I have to say, it seems to my ears that Epi with DiMarzios has a bit more detail in certain ways than a Gibby Traditional... However, there are certain elements of natural woodiness that are missing, of course... So I wouldn't say it sounds as good or even better than a Gibby. But I think these DiMarzios are better pickups than Gibson '57s... Or at least to my ears...

Now I am GASing for some better electrics, but after experiences with Gibson Pots, it will take a certain amount of time before I would be willing to buy a guitar from such a company... And would be looking her up and down if anything isn't missing...

OH, one more thing... Pickups are Air Classic bridge and PAF Classic neck...
And Parallel thingie is great, already incorporating it into songs...

Return to “Guitar Pickups”