Moderator: longfxukxnhair

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Re: Pickups

Postby HappyBlues » 08 Dec 2009, 08:05

Dean I envy you just a little bit. I should have gone with transparent black ultra, not with a black standard. The woods, the woods. I've found demo of Ultra and it sings big time. Would love one... Quilted maple does a great trick to the sound IMHO.

Doesn't matter, will get custom ordered Paul with 5A quilted maple... All proper wood. Proper made. Just like top end Custom Shop Gibson. But have to get cash for it, which will take a while :-D

Until then I envy you a little healthy bit :)
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 4 times

Postby DeanM » 08 Dec 2009, 16:31

haha thanks man! yeah im fairly happy with it! and when i eventually install the gibson pickups i can only imagine the improvement it will make!

i dunno how much the quilted maple makes a dif cos iv nothin to compare it to! the dif in sound you hear could also have something to do with the fact its a chambered body! but i dont know if thats what your describing!

in case your wondering. . . reason i haven put in the new pups yet is cos i never checked the mounting screw sizes and turns out they're dif than the gibby pups. so i have to order new or buy new screws before i can put em in! :doh

anyway yeah i also have envy towards all the guys on here with their gibson VOS reissues!! lol :truce
Everybody seems to think i'm lazy.
I dont mind...I think they're crazy!

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby HappyBlues » 09 Dec 2009, 01:51

oh man it's really chambered... wow... how could I not see it first time. I would never buy standard with knowledge Ultra is chambered. Of, here it goes... envy grows :dunno
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 09 Dec 2009, 02:39

really? i thought most people saw chambering as a negative? but maybe thats just the gibson snobs!! it does have a nice kinda hollow body hint to its tone! aswel as the les paul crunch!

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member

Postby HappyBlues » 09 Dec 2009, 02:56

i believe that guitar being chambered is a positive thing. What is viewed as negative is weight relieved one. Chambered should mean there are chambers made to make guitar sound better. Weight relieved should mean the body has drilled holes to save weight. Probably not making tone better in any way.

juzi
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby juzi » 09 Dec 2009, 05:48

I remember reading somewhere that Reverend Billy F. Gibbons of the good ol' ZZ Top (a friend of Eric Clapton, btw ;-) had some of his Les Pauls chambered. And he used very light string and some Mexican coins (pesos? pesetas?) as a pick. And wasn't he known for a good tone or what... Can't remember...
VM 2266
425B
1936 2x12" (Heritage G12-65's)
Laney Lionheart L5T 5w combo
Laney GH50L head
-91 Gibson Std LP (Fralins)
Startocaster (partscaster w Fralin VH's & big steelblock)
Fender Nashville Deleuxe Tele (DiMarzio Area T's & regular pickguard)
Yamaha Pacifica 812 (modded)
Ibanez JS900
Pedals too

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 09 Dec 2009, 06:22

yeah juzi i tink he mite have been! lol :yea

Yeah when i was gettin my LP and i realised it was chambered i was worried that it wouldnt have the tone i was expectin! but it does!! i def feel the some of the qualities such as resonance etc that gibson claim the chambering adds to! im fairly certain that with the gibby pups in it it will sound awesome!!! it even sounds pretty impressive now with the stock pups!! i also thought my other guitar would remain my main guitar and that this would be just for diff sounds etc but its rapidly becoming my main guitar!!! apart from some stuff that the jackson is just more suited to!

juzi
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby juzi » 09 Dec 2009, 12:16

Try an aluminium tailpeace too, if your LP doesn't already have one. It has a huge effect on acoustic tone, the same way a good big steelblock has in a strat. It balances the eq-curve, for example if you have honking and nasally mids, that might help. It gives better sustain too, altough you might think it wont, because it is so light!

I upgraded my LP Std with Faber hardware and I'm glad I did. It wasn't very cheap, though.
VM 2266
425B
1936 2x12" (Heritage G12-65's)
Laney Lionheart L5T 5w combo
Laney GH50L head
-91 Gibson Std LP (Fralins)
Startocaster (partscaster w Fralin VH's & big steelblock)
Fender Nashville Deleuxe Tele (DiMarzio Area T's & regular pickguard)
Yamaha Pacifica 812 (modded)
Ibanez JS900
Pedals too

DeanM
Irish Rocker
Irish Rocker

Postby DeanM » 10 Dec 2009, 09:22

cheers for the suggestion juzi!! i looked at large brass floyd rose blocks for my jackson! so i know what ya mean!! never thought of checkin that out for the LP! will def look that stuff up some time!

Return to “Guitar Pickups”