Moderator: longfxukxnhair

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Swapping gibson pickups in epiphone

Postby tramp » 19 Apr 2010, 22:59

I've got a Epi SG G400, with a gibson burst bucker 3 in the bridge and a burst bucker 2 in the neck and an Epi les paul standard plus top with 57 classics. (amongst other guitars! I'm never satisfied!)

I'm not the most expirineced with a soldering iron but i was thinking of swapping these 2 sets of pickups around. I'm finding the BB a bit thin in the SG and i find the classics a bit too round and PAFy in the les paul with not enough waily high endyness like a bb (as you may see i'm very technical in my explainations). I tried a Gibson SG 61 reissue which has 57s and it sounded great. If I make the change i realise it wont sound as good as the gibby (duh!) but i reckon it may be a better match given the thinner body etc and the bbs in the paul will wail like a banshee.

Now i know this is all very subjective and i should hear it with my own ears but.. does anyone have any of these combinations?? does it sound like this swap will give me closer to what i want? or is this a matter of the bodies simply not being good enough.

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: Swapping gibson pickups in epiphone

Postby kissfanps » 20 Apr 2010, 06:27

i would practice some soldering and go for it. you wont know until you try it. sounds like a good move to me.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Swapping gibson pickups in epiphone

Postby LivewireBlanco » 20 Apr 2010, 13:50

I have an Epi SG that has the Classic in neck and Classic + in the bridge. That combo worked well with that guitar. Can't say about the BB's in the Epi LP. If your guitars have the new wiring harness they can be a pain in the ass though.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Return to “Guitar Pickups”