Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Strat pickup height

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Apr 2010, 07:17

Got in a bit of an argument with my guitar tech over the weekend while he was working on one of my Strats. I typically have my pickups set a quarter inch from the strings he says it should be about at least a half inch. I find you loose that Fender spank if you set them to far :dunno
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

LivewireBlanco
The Professor
The Professor
Has Liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Strat pickup height

Postby LivewireBlanco » 26 Apr 2010, 12:49

I set up my fat 50s at about 1/8th inch. In fact I setup my humbuckers about that high too.
"I play country the way a good rock guitarist should."
http://www.myspace.com/buckshotbradley

Kongels
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 9 times

Re: Strat pickup height

Postby Kongels » 26 Apr 2010, 16:05

I think it depends on the pup, set it about 1/8 and adjust from there is how I do it.

Lollar FAQ-

How close to the strings should I adjust my new Lollar pickups?

That depends a little from pickup to pickup. On a Lollar Vintage Blackface® set or a Lollar Special S Series® we recommend that you start approximately 1/8" from the top of the pickup to the underside of the string (when the string is un fretted). Go a little closer for the high e, and a little further for the low e. On a Lollar Vintage Blonde® or a Lollar Vintage Tweed® you can actually start a bit closer to the strings to begin with. On Lollar T Series pickups 1/8" is also a good starting point. For P-90s, start at around 1/8". Humbuckers work well when you adjust them as close to the strings as possible, without any string interference. Remember, all of these are starting points. The next step is purely up to you. Don't be afraid to adjust pickups closer than you have been told—it won't hurt anything and you may like them as close as they can get and you can always adjust them farther away if you don't like it. Many of our pickups have magnets that are not fully charged in an effort to make them perform more like vintage pickups- with weaker magnets you'll need to raise the pickups closer to get the best dynamic performance. Take time to listen and tweak until you have the pickups set up where they sound best to you.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”