Moderator: longfxukxnhair

tramp
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

good humbuckers for slide

Postby tramp » 08 Jun 2010, 18:43

Figured this'd be the forum to ask as there appears to be much love for duane allman!!

I've got an epi sg g400 that i want to set up in open d, mainly for slide but i'm going to use that tuning for regular playing as well using the bottom strings like drop d. Its got burst buckers in it #3 and #2. Quite good but a bit to hot for slide.

anyone have any recommendations? i was lookin at seymour duncan pearly gates, 59's and seth lovers but am open to suggestions.

I want a good smooth, but still dirty slide tone but the pickups need plenty of crunch still.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: good humbuckers for slide

Postby slowpokerhino » 08 Jun 2010, 18:48

Moving your neck pickup (BB2) to the bridge and putting a BB1 in the neck will work well.

inca_roads
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby inca_roads » 18 Jan 2011, 17:51

Late to the party I know, but Seymour Duncan AlNiCo IIs are hard to beat. That and their 'Custom Customs'.
"Regret comes not from doing but from not doing..." --B.L. Rodgers

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 18 Jan 2011, 18:28

Many slide players use WCR pickups in their Les Pauls. If you want the best email the guys at BareKnuckle and ask them what works best, probably get a much better answer then we can give.

I can't play slide worth a shit. But did see this bad boy being played at the NAMM show. $199.00.

[youtube][/youtube]

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

inca_roads
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby inca_roads » 19 Jan 2011, 10:02

I played some WCR Fillmores in a goldtop LP and decided to stick with the SD AIIs. Great sustain since it's a weaker magnet pickup. I always say, "weaker magnets sing, stronger magnets scream"... depends on what you're after.

No personal experience with Bareknuckles....

I play a lot of slide. If you're bored, go to the facebook page in my sig and listen to Funkfoot, a live-in-public recording of an instrumental trio. The slide solo at the end is the SD pickup, just for a point of reference.

Derek Trucks uses SD pickups for what that's worth.

Those lap steels by Peavey will be a big hit with the gospel Sacred Steel crowd no doubt! If they made an 8-string I might pick one up.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 19 Jan 2011, 15:03

inca_roads wrote:Derek Trucks uses SD pickups for what that's worth.
Not from what I've read (which could be wrong of course). According to a number of sites he used to use stock 57 Classics and then switched to Sheptones for a while but now has real vintage PAFs in his main guitar. It's rumored that he used Antiquity's for a bit but not confirmed.
It is my assumption (and only that) that he may have pulled the PAFs from the 1959 Les Paul he was playing occasionally and put them in his main guitar since I haven't seen or heard of him using the LP in quite a while.

[youtube][/youtube]

inca_roads
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby inca_roads » 20 Jan 2011, 06:50

I know for a fact that DT at one time used SDs. Just trying to give the OP a frame of reference. In any event, thanks for the other info too.

I gigged last night & played more slide than usual after thinking about pickups as a result of this thread. Result: my 16-year old SDs ain't going' anywhere! :Thumbs

Rockerduck
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Rockerduck » 02 Jun 2011, 10:18

As playing slide for about 40 yrs. I found Paf's the best when I started. I've used several since and the Paf sound is still the one. 59 classics are great. Also, if you haven't considered it, P90's get a good growl for slide. It's not ABB sound. Think "Bad to the Bone" by George Thorogood. That's P90's he's using. However, the more proficient you are at slide, you can play on most any guitar.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”