Moderator: longfxukxnhair

jboyjams
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Re: Pickup suggestions for a Les Paul

Postby jboyjams » 22 Jul 2010, 12:34

Back in 1990 my girlfriend dumped me on Christmas and got pregnant - so I used her Christmas money and gig money I saved to come up with $900 cash + traded my kramer Pacer with EMGs to step up to a brand new cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard. It served me well for 5 years, but became a 100% better guitar when I swapped both pickups for 57 Classics. The sound was way clearer and fully balanced with a lot of power and sweet tone. Best $200 I spent on gear. Also have 57 Classics in my ES335.
Amps - Marshall Super 100JH, 1987x, 2204 Master Volume, 4502, Bassman 59 LTD, Fender Champ (79), Fender 75
Guitars - Les Paul Standard, ES-335, 62 Strat RI, 85 MIJ Squier Tele, Guild D55
Effects - Picture Wah, Octafuzz, Sunface NKT, KOT, KR Boost, MDV-2, DM-2

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 22 Jul 2010, 15:09

kevinantich wrote:
Beck-Ola wrote:
kevinantich wrote:Got a pair of burstbuckers for sale! Cheap! check the classifieds
What pick-ups did you get to put in your new Les Paul anyway? Just curious.
My guitar was used and came with Tom holmes paf's installed. They sound great but will break the bank at $800 a set. Not something I would have bought on my own, but since they are in there im keepin em!
Yeow!! :eek They must be pretty good.

-- Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:32 pm --
jboyjams wrote:Back in 1990 my girlfriend dumped me on Christmas and got pregnant - so I used her Christmas money and gig money I saved to come up with $900 cash + traded my kramer Pacer with EMGs to step up to a brand new cherry sunburst Les Paul Standard. It served me well for 5 years, but became a 100% better guitar when I swapped both pickups for 57 Classics. The sound was way clearer and fully balanced with a lot of power and sweet tone. Best $200 I spent on gear. Also have 57 Classics in my ES335.
Replaced the Burstbuckers that came with my Standard w/ '57 Classic and '57 Classic Plus too. Kind of had them around waiting for something worthwhile to put them in. You keep the same electronics? Just curious. I replaced the 300k volume pots with 500k super pots (custom taper) from RS and replaced the disk caps with Jensen paper-in-oil. I like the pick-ups better for sure. I suppose the pots and caps are better but hard to say. Those caps look cooler at least. :chug
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 23 Jul 2010, 17:08

Just a little FYI, Tom Holmes designed the 57 Classic & 57 Classic Plus pickups for Gibson.
I read it on the inter web so it must be true.

jboyjams
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 10 times

Postby jboyjams » 23 Jul 2010, 18:06

I think he only replaced the pickups from what I know. He said one way to notice them is the mounting screws are flathead instead of phillips head. I really need to work the pots on my 335 almost like if using a fuzzface with my strat - so I'm wondering if they are standard or super pots because they do have a nice range. I'd be surprised to find a better pickup than those 57's - highly recommend on the Gibsons....
Amps - Marshall Super 100JH, 1987x, 2204 Master Volume, 4502, Bassman 59 LTD, Fender Champ (79), Fender 75
Guitars - Les Paul Standard, ES-335, 62 Strat RI, 85 MIJ Squier Tele, Guild D55
Effects - Picture Wah, Octafuzz, Sunface NKT, KOT, KR Boost, MDV-2, DM-2

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 23 Jul 2010, 22:10

slowpokerhino wrote:Just a little FYI, Tom Holmes designed the 57 Classic & 57 Classic Plus pickups for Gibson.
I read it on the inter web so it must be true.
Thanks for that info.

Wonder what he could have done to make his own name brand cost 4 times as much as the Gibsons. Cryogenically aged platinum bobbins? :roll
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 27 Jul 2010, 05:08

Probably he just didn't let price compromise sound.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”