Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Humbucker for a Strat?

Postby Bountyhunter » 29 Nov 2010, 14:30

I got this guitar and the Humbucker sucks. I'm thinking about a Dimarzio Super Distortion, and putting 10's on it, instead of the 9's it comes with to fatten up the sound. My local daddy's has a SD 59 and a SD JB in stock too. Any opinions on one of these to fatten up the sound?
The fact that my playing sounds like shit to you, makes it even more fun for me.

Ritchie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 376 times
Been liked: 317 times

Re: Humbucker for a Strat?

Postby Ritchie » 29 Nov 2010, 14:46

A SD JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck is a classic Duncan combo ! you will not go wrong with that . I have a Gibson V with that combo and it's a sweet sounding piece of gear . :Thumbs

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 29 Nov 2010, 15:00

Ritchie wrote:A SD JB in the bridge and a '59 in the neck is a classic Duncan combo ! you will not go wrong with that . I have a Gibson V with that combo and it's a sweet sounding piece of gear . :Thumbs
+1 :Thumbs
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 29 Nov 2010, 15:23

I forgot to post the pic of the damn strat. :roll

I can use one Humbucker. It has 2 single coils, so I think maybe I'll go with the SD JB. Here's the one I got anyway. :pimp

The fact that my playing sounds like shit to you, makes it even more fun for me.

Ritchie
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 376 times
Been liked: 317 times

Postby Ritchie » 29 Nov 2010, 15:40

Nice gtr ! looks like you will have to drill another hole for the height adjustment screw in between the 2 that are already there .

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 29 Nov 2010, 16:41

You're right, Ritchie. I didn't even realize that. I'm going to have the shop down the street do the work. I have no patience with this sort of thing and end up screwing things up. :roll

That's weird that they use 3 screws on the pickups. Must be a Mexican thing. :dunno

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 30 Nov 2010, 04:20

I prefer the Super Distortion over the JB, but that's just me :jam
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 30 Nov 2010, 14:20

Well I spent about 2 hours on Youtube last night and I think I like the SD better too. The best sounding vids of the JB were all in LP style guitars. Strats and some Charvels had the SD's and sounded really good, imo. Maybe it's the lighter guitar and lighter wood?

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 30 Nov 2010, 18:02

Keep in mind that if you put a high output humbucker in the bridge there will be a dramatic volume difference between it and the single coils.
Since single coils generally have lower output than humbuckers I'd suggest going with a low output humbucker. Don't worry, even the lowest output humbucker will sound fat and push the amp when used in conjuction with single coils.

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 01 Dec 2010, 03:45

Eventually I'll upgrade the single coils too. At least the neck. The middle one will probably be shut off. I know, not something most people would do, but I play rythm and don't even use the neck pu most of the time. I could get away with never using it probably. But with a better single coil down the road, I'll at least have the option.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”