Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Opinions on these pickups please

Postby Bountyhunter » 22 Jan 2011, 10:53

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=300049

I'm looking for a quiet set of pickups that will still give me the classic strat sound. I have other set ups for the heavy sound I usually play with. I'm learning that I know almost nothing about single coil pickups.

Any suggestions are appreciated. Sounds clip will put you in my will. :laugh

Not really. :Cheers
The fact that my playing sounds like shit to you, makes it even more fun for me.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Opinions on these pickups please

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Jan 2011, 11:35

The SD booth at NAMM was pretty active. they had a multiple LPs and Strats with different pickups but the booth was a zoo so I did not try any of them. I know SD is pretty proud of those but have no idea on how they sound. My other Strat has the Custom Shop Fat 50s set in it and I like them alot, I am going to change my bridge in my Custom Shop Strat with one of these also so I have a set of three. These are very balanced and quite, vintage Strat all the way. Hard decision.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=301613

These were the hot seller and were getting a bunch of attention.
http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/ ... sku=300068
[youtube][/youtube]
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 22 Jan 2011, 12:35

Thise Fat 50's are nice, Surf. Is that a video you pulled off you tube, or is that you? That's a great video showing the different sounds of those pickups.

That Fender set you posted a link to is cheap. If they sound good for that money, that would be great. Honestly though, I don't have much faith in any of the Fender pickups. I've never really loved the sound of any of them. Maybe I'm just buying the wrong model Fenders. MIM's don't sound very good at all until a pickup swap.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.

I'll have to look on ebay for a deal. If they have nothing I'll use Musician's Friend. My local has one set of Fender noisless pickups. I don't know much else about them. I didn't look close, because as I said, I don't have much faith in Fender pickups.

I'm excited to get this guitar set up, because I really love the way it feels and plays.
The fact that my playing sounds like shit to you, makes it even more fun for me.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Jan 2011, 12:49

No that's not me, I have a much sexier ass than that. You could always go with a set of David Gilmour EMGs :dunno .

Why don't you cruise over the the Fender Forum and tell them what you have and the sound you are trying to get.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 22 Jan 2011, 13:00

I read over there, but hate to register on another forum. I belong to about 5 now and spend all my time here and on my own.

I'm leaning towards the SD's, because I have SD's in 2 other Strats and it's what I had in the LP I just sold. I love SD's.

I did find these however. Ever heard them? I couldn't find much on You tube in my quick search, but I'll look more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/FENDER-CUSTOM-69-ST ... 5192fd196e

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 22 Jan 2011, 13:05

Yea that is the Custom Shop 69 set, mehhh.... :Jerkoff I like the 50's better. I don't think you can go wrong with that SD set.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 22 Jan 2011, 13:10

I've been wanting to try a set of Klein pickups for a while now. Haven't had the chance, but there a a lot of impressive videos on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ckups&aq=f

http://www.kleinpickups.com/c-2-stratoc ... ckups.aspx

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 22 Jan 2011, 15:09

Those Kleins do sound nice. :Thumbs

I think it'll be the SD's. They're a little more than most sets, but I think they'll be worth it.

revrandfaze
Resident Reverend
Resident Reverend
Has Liked: 297 times
Been liked: 233 times

Postby revrandfaze » 22 Jan 2011, 15:11

slowpokerhino wrote:I've been wanting to try a set of Klein pickups for a while now. Haven't had the chance, but there a a lot of impressive videos on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... ckups&aq=f

http://www.kleinpickups.com/c-2-stratoc ... ckups.aspx
I personally like the custom shop 69's I have them in both my Strats. I did put a Klein 65 hendrix reversed neck pickup in one of strats and it warmed up
the neck quite a bit but, I still like the 69's better. If you are looking for nice clean woody tones the 69's get that tone. They have a tight bass response and
warm upper mids and just the right amount of treble they work great with pedals too. Another option that slowpokerhino turned me on to is you can wire
your tone nob to the middle switch to roll back your tone to warm up the bridge position even more. That is a great option and eliminates that ice pick tone.
With the right pedals and that tone nob rolled back I sometimes forget I am playing single coils.
Mainly the London Fuzz and the DLS stacked together those two pedals work well together.

I checked out the Duncan booth too and it was swamped. I was looking for Humbuckers for my Warrior axe and went with the ones
they recommended the JAZZ/JB. Right now I like the tone my Strats are getting.

Its all a matter of opinion everyone likes something different.

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 22 Jan 2011, 16:09

revrand wrote:Its all a matter of opinion everyone likes something different.
You got that right!

Right now I'm seriously considering the Fender Fat 50's. Just watched some videos and really like them. And they are cheaper, and I'd keep the guitar all Fender. Which would be a first for me. :dunno

Kongels
Been liked: 9 times

Postby Kongels » 23 Jan 2011, 04:24

Cost more but check out the Lollar Blondes vs the 50s, Blackface vs the 69s and a special for the bridge vs the Texas specials. Not noiseless but my favorite is the Blackface for all three or a special in the bridge with them.

Bountyhunter
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby Bountyhunter » 23 Jan 2011, 06:19

Those do sound good. Not real bad price wise either. I have so many choices and so little money. :dunno :laugh

Return to “Guitar Pickups”