Good Neck Pick-up for a Les Paul - that you can coil tap?

Discussion of guitar pickups and wiring

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

LukeWinship
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

Good Neck Pick-up for a Les Paul - that you can coil tap?

Postby LukeWinship » 13 Apr 2011, 03:20

Hi guys,

Any ideas on a great Neck Pick-up that you can coil tap? I am looking at some of the Bareknuckles Steve Stevens but i'm not sure if i can 'tap' them. They will go in my trusty 2002 Les Paul Std.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Cheers
EVH5150iii 50 watt with Matching 2x12 in Ivory. 2004 Les Paul Standard in Trans-amber with Bare Knuckle Nailbombs (Alnico). Caparison C2 Dellinger with EMGs. One Control OC10 with an ever changing cast of pedals from MXR, Dunlop, Eventide, Fulltone, TC etc.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Re: Good Neck Pick-up for a Les Paul - that you can coil tap

Postby slowpokerhino » 13 Apr 2011, 19:35

From what I understand, the lower the output of the pickup the better coil tapping works, as in sounds better in split mode. I have no first hand knowledge though.

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Kyle » 13 Apr 2011, 20:54

slowpokerhino wrote:From what I understand, the lower the output of the pickup the better coil tapping works, as in sounds better in split mode. I have no first hand knowledge though.
Usually it is the opposite, higher output pickup, better SPLIT coils. Reason being you split a 9k humbucker, you get a weak arse 4.5k single coil. You split a 13k bucker, you get a 6.5k single coil. Still not all the way there due to extra magnet pull and all that jazz but you get the point.

You won't find coil taps on a humbucker, but any 4 conductor humbucker can be coil split. I have a set of these, wired up series/screw coil/parallel. They split pretty good. Any bareknuckle can be orderred 4 conductor. Those pickups are pretty nice too, I used it for all the rhythm on my latest recording, broke out the ASAT for the leads though, it had something in clarity.

slowpokerhino
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 30 times
Been liked: 30 times

Postby slowpokerhino » 14 Apr 2011, 18:09

That makes sense. Thanks Kyle.

BluesDoggydog
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Been liked: 4 times

Postby BluesDoggydog » 10 Jul 2011, 06:10

Ive got a 57' classic in my neck that i can tap and a burstbucker 3 in the bridge, bouth sounds really good in singlecoil mode, gives quite a telecaster feal but a bit more ballsy. I use a Les paul traditional pro.

-- Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:10 pm --

Ive got a 57' classic in my neck that i can tap and a burstbucker 3 in the bridge, bouth sounds really good in singlecoil mode, gives quite a telecaster feal but a bit more ballsy. I use a Les paul traditional pro.

juzi
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 0

Postby juzi » 13 Jul 2011, 05:43

I have a Fralin 8k/9k set in my LP Std and I like the splitted neck HB very much. Didn't like the split in bridge PU though. If I remember correctly, Fralin had something called the Unbucker, which they recommend for splitting. It has unbalanced windings on coils and therefore a brighter and clearer sound in HB-mode too.
VM 2266
425B
1936 2x12" (Heritage G12-65's)
Laney Lionheart L5T 5w combo
Laney GH50L head
-91 Gibson Std LP (Fralins)
Startocaster (partscaster w Fralin VH's & big steelblock)
Fender Nashville Deleuxe Tele (DiMarzio Area T's & regular pickguard)
Yamaha Pacifica 812 (modded)
Ibanez JS900
Pedals too

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Postby Kyle » 13 Jul 2011, 08:51

juzi wrote:I have a Fralin 8k/9k set in my LP Std and I like the splitted neck HB very much. Didn't like the split in bridge PU though. If I remember correctly, Fralin had something called the Unbucker, which they recommend for splitting. It has unbalanced windings on coils and therefore a brighter and clearer sound in HB-mode too.
The thing to watch with non-symmetric coils is ofcourse they won't humbuck 100%, usually they are left close enough you won't notice though. Dimarzio has a lot of assymetric coil buckers.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”