Moderator: longfxukxnhair

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Has Liked: 2 times
Been liked: 25 times

Humbuckers, Teles, and Coil Tapping

Postby kissfanps » 25 Aug 2011, 12:45

So I am wondering if using a humbucker in the bridge of a tele and tapping so I can chose from single or double coil would work well? WIll I be able to get a true tele bridge tone when using it in single coil mode?
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 3 times
Been liked: 8 times

Re: Humbuckers, Teles, and Coil Tapping

Postby Kyle » 25 Aug 2011, 14:20

A split bucker will never replace a single coil, they just don't have all of it, if that is what you want. There is extra magnet pull and other stuff, fields are also different. You will want a pretty hot bucker, so you can at least split to moderate output (I don't like to mention resistance as output, as it isn't but 12k + Alnico V or something should do it). You would want to split to the bridge coil, it is brighter (but quieter). If you get an on/off/on switch you can wire it to north coil/series/south coil and get all the above options.

Then you can consider the effects of the bridge plate typically on a tele on the magnetic fields, this can be mimiced with extra plates/ bass plates if you are clever though (SD custom shop is).

My preference for brightening a humbucker is generally parallel mode though, not splitting. The output difference is less drastic but still large and brighter. I can get spank out of both split and parallel coils well, but a lot of that is technique, I hybrid pick a tonne. You need that SNAP.

As for a tele with a bucker, ain't a tele no more. Just a single cut :bgrin

kissfanps
Consigliere
Consigliere
Been liked: 25 times

Postby kissfanps » 25 Aug 2011, 14:34

Yeah, I figured it wouldnt be the same.

I just love the feel of a tele and it would be cool to have the tele tone and a humbucker tone all in one.
Marshall Class 5
Marshall Vintage Modern 2266C
Granger M50
Cox Tweed Twin
Gibson Les Paul Custom w/ Skatterbrane Goldbranes
Tele Partscaster - USACG '54 Neck, 50's RI Body, Lollars
Fender '56 NOS Stratocaster
Guitar -> TC Polytune -> Fulltone Clyde Deluxe -> TS-808 -> Suhr Koko Boost -> Way Huge Aqua Puss -> Lovepedal Echo Baby -> Amp

Kyle
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 3 times

Postby Kyle » 25 Aug 2011, 14:52

Something I am sure we would all love. You could wire 2 tele pickups that are compensated for the bridge plate together in series and hope for the best in what it makes as a bucker, but that doesn't work too well either I gather, unless you are playing a PRS 513. My ASAT special (G&L) spanks to heck clean but is great driven and has no ash tray bridge, maybe check out one of those if you get a chance? If you wire up a 4 way switch with a series mode you can get really thick and meaty to top it off. Those pickups can really do it all, I go from country to dream theater with the bridge in a channel swap. Don't know what Leo did there, but it is awesome.

burnsy
Gold Member
Gold Member
Has Liked: 216 times
Been liked: 343 times

Postby burnsy » 26 Aug 2011, 04:39

Had the same idea myself years ago and butchered my '66 Tele.
Routed the bridge plate and body to accept a DiMarzio Super Distortion, which was the must-have pickup back in them days. Added a push-pull switch to allow series/parallel option on the two coils which I thought would give me the normal Tele sound plus a Humbucker option if I wanted it. No way! The guitar sounded good with both these options but it never sounded like a proper Tele again. The Tele sound comes from THAT guitar with THAT bridgeplate with THAT pickup, nothing else will do it.
I have recently put the guitar back to stock with a replacement bridgeplate, as the other had been severely modded, and Duncan pickups.
If ya like the Tele sound stick with the original setup.
Victory 'Red Dwarf' RD1
Victory 1x12 Creamback
Fender Blues Junior
Ampmaker 18w Combo

Previous Amps:
WEM Clubman, Vox AC30, Sound City 50, JTM45, JMP50, 9004, DSL50, 9001, EL84 20/20, DSL401, Class 5, 2266, Tiny Terror

juzi
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby juzi » 26 Aug 2011, 07:05

I can get all my classic tele sounds plus huge distorted tones out of DiMarzio Area T bridge pickup. It sounds really good and versatile to my ears, goes from country to Van Halen! The harmonic overtones are great, you can really make it scream. I feel no need for a humbucker with this bridge pickup. They make a Hot Area T also, I have the regular version. The neck pu is nice too, clear and articulate. They don't hum and still sound like a true single coils plus more.
VM 2266
425B
1936 2x12" (Heritage G12-65's)
Laney Lionheart L5T 5w combo
Laney GH50L head
-91 Gibson Std LP (Fralins)
Startocaster (partscaster w Fralin VH's & big steelblock)
Fender Nashville Deleuxe Tele (DiMarzio Area T's & regular pickguard)
Yamaha Pacifica 812 (modded)
Ibanez JS900
Pedals too

rjohns1
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0

Postby rjohns1 » 15 Feb 2012, 07:12

When I split my humbuckers, I use a 10k resistor instead of going straight to ground. Another thing you could do is switch in a pot to gradually split the pickup, and find the spot where it sounds the best to you. There are many great tones in there, and you can get surprisingly close to tele tones this way. Happy tone hunting!
2010 Egnater Tourmaster 4212, with 212 Extension cab
2009 Mod Amp 101 60 watt EL34 Single Channel (Kit Amp, built and tweaked by yours truly)
2003 EBMM Axis (Trans Amber, PV Wolfgang Pickups)
2007 EBMM Axis (Tobacco Sunburst, Stock)
Mid 80's JapStrat
Eventide Factor Pedals (Mod, Time, and Pitch)
Hot Rodded Crybaby
Peterson Strobostomp
Fulltone Catalyst and OCD
Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone
Blackstart HT-Dual
Dynomite Phase9000 (BYOC kit)

longfxukxnhair
Asshole
Asshole
Has Liked: 2300 times
Been liked: 1571 times

Postby longfxukxnhair » 15 Feb 2012, 07:15

One thing to keep in mind when talking to a tech about this (so you get what you are paying for). A coil tap taps the wind. What you are asking about is a coil split. 2 different things.
Gibson
Voodoo
Slash Gld Top
Slash Drk Tobacco Burst
Standard A+
Slash Snake Pit
Copper Top Studio
Wine Red Studio
LP GT

MII
MII Urban Camo
Horizon FRII
SC Custom Shop
KH602
Horizon NT

Shecter Blck Market Custom
BC Rich Zoltan Bathory
Ovation
Jackson Soloist Pro
Jackson Dinky
Kramer SM1

Edwards John Sykes LP
Edwards LP 92SD QM
Custom Owens LP

6100 stack (blue) - Bogner Twin Jet - Engl SE 670 - Mesa Road King - Mesa Mark V:25 - 5150 III LBX

HappyBlues
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Been liked: 12 times

Postby HappyBlues » 17 Feb 2012, 06:12

I use parallel instead of split coil too and loving it.
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 3x SC, natural finish, RM Pickups RS6s
Fokus Strat, alder, maple, 2x SC, 1x HB, transparent red finish
Boss FA-1, Fender PT-100 Tuner, Boss BluesDriver 2 clone - dual channel, Fulldrive 2 Mosfet clone, Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Memory Boy, Electro-Harmonix Worm (the big one)
Custom made amp in hardwood cabinet and Fender Blackface and Marshall Jub type preamps. Jub power amp. Celestion G12 Century Next speaker.

thunderkyss
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 9 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby thunderkyss » 17 Feb 2012, 20:15

kissfanps wrote:Yeah, I figured it wouldnt be the same.

I just love the feel of a tele and it would be cool to have the tele tone and a humbucker tone all in one.
I love the Tele as well, but I've always loved that chrome covered neck pick-up. I have no problem throwing a full humbucker in the bridge.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”