Moderator: longfxukxnhair

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Norwegian pickups !

Postby gtrman » 26 Aug 2011, 03:19

We actually have someone in my neigborhood who are making som really great pickups.
Cream T-pickups they are called.

This is taken from a norwegian newspaper .. if u can't understand the language the pics will tell u that this guy have some happy customers.
Billy Gibbons, Jeff Beck, Joe Bonamassa to name a few ....

http://www.dagbladet.no/2011/08/26/kult ... /17745594/

Here's his webpage:
http://www.creamtpickups.com/index.html

I will definetly try some of his picksups at some point ....
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 46 times
Been liked: 157 times

Re: Norwegian pickups !

Postby JkGriffin » 26 Aug 2011, 15:23

Seem really interesting...

Any idea of how much for a 59' set?

Haven't got access to sound samples at the time (slow connection here now)... but it could be that I want to try them if the price is right... before he moves the production to China as others often do :barf

Jag
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 50 times
Been liked: 94 times

Postby Jag » 24 Oct 2011, 18:34

Very Cool! Thanks for the info... might have to check out some of the black hot single coils for one of my Strats! Will have to investigate a little more.
Fender American Strat, Fender Standard Strat, Ovation Roundback, Lag Nylon Acoustic, Marshall VM 2266 w/2x12 Avatar Cab, Marshall JMD-501, Fender G-DEC, Fishman Loudbox.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 24 Oct 2011, 19:30

Ha, I actually could understand some of that article, Norwegian is not so tough to learn. :think Some big names endorsing, good for him. Problem is I hate buying pickup before I try them, oly because they are a pain in the ass to change out. I hope to try out many at the NAMM show.

Something is just wrong with this picture.

My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 25 Oct 2011, 05:48

Well... for me point of view the interest has gotten a bit cold.
His price tag is higher than most other pickups that is "proven" (ea. got a good reputation)... and he throws names around... that everybody is using his pickups, but none is documented as far as I've found out... no big stars saying "HEY, I GOT THIS GREAT NORWEGIAN PICKUPS NOW... THEY'VE REPLACED ALL MY OLD ONES"... and the few videos and/or sound samples you can find is crap.

So I would suggest to the Mr. Cream to get some real recording equipment (and knowledge) and/or make one of these stars start worshiping his pickups publicly. Just because Gibbons got one doesn't mean he is using/preferring it. For all we know he is just showing these pickups on private parties to show how many strange guitar thingies he gets for free because he is Mr. B. Gibbons.

Mr. Gibbons: Hey all... look at this... This is a pickup I got for free from a farmer from Norway... No, I haven't violated any of my guitars with this one yet.

Or he can lower the price to a reasonable level so that some people are willing to take a chance to try them out and maybe build a reputation...

sikter
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 463 times
Been liked: 1073 times

Postby sikter » 07 Nov 2011, 00:58

I would really like to test some of those but not on my guitar yet.
I wish it will be possible to go to the guitar store and just a pick up guitar with the Creams.

I would also like to say something about the price.
Norway is country where all prices are higher than usual and so are the fees of the workers.
Norwegian cleaning lady probably earns more in one hour than an engineer in Eastern Europe.
(1 kg cherries in the grocery store costs around 35 USD / 26 Euro)

That means that any Norwegian products must end up being very expensive because of the high self cost in the first place.
(Don’t forget that creams are made by hand)
I’m not saying they are bad or good, I don’t really know, but that high price isn’t necessarily
because of its high quality only.
:dunno

JkGriffin
Diamond Member
Diamond Member

Postby JkGriffin » 07 Nov 2011, 14:10

Sure... I hear ya....

BUT... (there is always a "but") there are other top of the line, high-end boutique quality pickups that have already made a name for themself... earned respect, payed their dues... like Lollar, Wolftones, Throbak and BareKnuckle. These people sell pickups for 70% of the Cream and up to nearly as much as the Cream.

It's a market out there... if you want in, then you either need to make something that are superior and get the marked to acknowledge your products superiority or you need to price your product thereafter. You may need to sell your product cheap for a while to get the word around... This guy comes to the media claiming all these stars are dying to use his pickups making you think they are throwing away that old shit are currently infecting their instruments.

What I have on these pickups so far is this:
-The guy making them are claiming that all these guitar Gods want them...
-None of the guitar Gods are even making an effort to mention these magical items once... it's like they don't exist.
-I know one guy did purchase a set of his '61 humbuckers... they were advertised for sale not long after.

The more I think about it the interview he had with a Norwegian newspaper, the more I believe he is lying as well... just don't add up.
I'm open to that I may be totally wrong of course....
I just don't see what kind of magic voodoo his secret bee wax will have for the pickups either... it's just mojostuff. He could just as well inform us that he is washing his hand in fish oil in the beginning of each workday. Correct me if I'm wrong please...

Return to “Guitar Pickups”