Moderator: longfxukxnhair

PS1984
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 9 times
Been liked: 4 times

Lace Hot Gold Sensors with Hot bridge

Postby PS1984 » 24 Sep 2011, 14:23

Hi all. I´m new here. Like this forum, amazing stuff here...

What is your opinion on these pickups? have you experience with it?

I´m planning put these into my stratocaster made in Mexico - now i have Humbucker an d two single coils in... I play on MA100C

thanks for your answers

Tube_Tone
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Re: Lace Hot Gold Sensors with Hot bridge

Postby Tube_Tone » 24 Sep 2011, 18:15

These are probably Lace's most popular pickups. They are an updated version of the original Lace Gold Sensors. A lot of people didn't care for the original Golds because they were low output and could sound a little sterile in some instruments.
The "Hot" Golds use a stronger magnet and custom winding to get higher output and an overall punchier, more dynamic output. They have an upper midrange emphasis that makes them sing with high gain distortion.
Lace pickups are inherently quiet by design, and produce very little hum, even at high levels of gain. They aren't hum bucking, but they are about as quiet as can be for being true single coil. The magnet is neither ceramic or alnico, but something different, and it's characteristics are probably closer to ceramic than alnico, in my opinion.

The hot bridge is pretty hot, but also kind of compressed sounding. I have this set in a ash body strat type guitar with a maple fingerboard, and I like them, but they would probably do better in a warmer instrument (alder body, or rosewood board). The neck pickup is very good. There are many reviews around for these. I like the detail in the high end that this type of pickup gives. It is very expressive.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 24 Sep 2011, 20:49

:welcome Welcome to the forum PS1984, glad to have you. Be sure you want to install such a hot pickup before you buy it, sometimes a hot pickup with a high gain amp isn't always the best.

I think you are our first member from Slovakia :beerme I am told Slovakia it is a very beautiful country!!
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

PS1984
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby PS1984 » 25 Sep 2011, 01:50

thank you guys for your posts.

Now i don´t know which pickups are in my strat. I have alder body and maple neck. As I wrote there are HSS pickups. I guess they are standard PU (maybe you will know what PU used Fender in mexico model from 2007).

I decided to change them because I like single coil sound. When I bought this guitar it was the best one in store from mexico models (so i take even there was humbucker)... Also I like Ritchie Blackmore tone so I decided for Lace Gold. Then I wrote couple lines with guitar tech of Blackmore and he wrote that Hot Gold are now closer to sound which had original old lace Gold back in 80´s. Hot bridge I will have because family of my girlfriend buy it for me in US. So it wasn´t exactly what i want, but I hope it will be better than now.

Thank you. i´m verey happy that you like my country. Someting like this I (we) don´t hear too much. So thank you.

PS.: Maybe you didn´t know but JJ tubes are making in our country... :Cheers

Jag
Bronze Member
Bronze Member
Has Liked: 50 times
Been liked: 94 times

Postby Jag » 28 Sep 2011, 18:04

PS1984 wrote:Also I like Ritchie Blackmore tone so I decided for Lace Gold. Then I wrote couple lines with guitar tech of Blackmore and he wrote that Hot Gold are now closer to sound which had original old lace Gold back in 80´s.
Hey welcome to the forum! As for Blackmore I am a HUGE fan and have found out that Ritchie didnt use very hot pickups. Early on basic stock pup's and later had some custom wound Bill Lawrence pup's. He got a great sound from a dimed 200 watt Marshall Major, with a Aiwa reel to reel used as a preamp, with a treble booster thrown in for good measure. He's got a thick 3D strat tone!!! I use Seymore Duncan Quarter Pound Flat poles and they give you a little bitier tone but still hold on to that great Strat Quack we all love!!! Hope this helps. Sorry for getting a little long in the tooth :Thumbs
Fender American Strat, Fender Standard Strat, Ovation Roundback, Lag Nylon Acoustic, Marshall VM 2266 w/2x12 Avatar Cab, Marshall JMD-501, Fender G-DEC, Fishman Loudbox.

PS1984
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby PS1984 » 30 Sep 2011, 06:58

Jag wrote:
PS1984 wrote:Also I like Ritchie Blackmore tone so I decided for Lace Gold. Then I wrote couple lines with guitar tech of Blackmore and he wrote that Hot Gold are now closer to sound which had original old lace Gold back in 80´s.
Hey welcome to the forum! As for Blackmore I am a HUGE fan and have found out that Ritchie didnt use very hot pickups. Early on basic stock pup's and later had some custom wound Bill Lawrence pup's. He got a great sound from a dimed 200 watt Marshall Major, with a Aiwa reel to reel used as a preamp, with a treble booster thrown in for good measure. He's got a thick 3D strat tone!!! I use Seymore Duncan Quarter Pound Flat poles and they give you a little bitier tone but still hold on to that great Strat Quack we all love!!! Hope this helps. Sorry for getting a little long in the tooth :Thumbs
Hi. thanks for post.

I´m huge fan too and I know that he didn´t use these PU. I´m in contact with his guitar tech who did for him all mods. Ritchie is still using Lace Gold Sensors in his guitars. But his tech wrote that these new Hot Golds have very close sound like Lace Gold made in 80´s. New Lace Gold have according him quite different sound.

I decided to pick Hot Golds with Hot brigde as my personal taste, but there is still classic base of Lace Gold Sensors. I play sometimes metal and I still have in guitar humbucker on bridge. So this will not be for me very different sound. It will be single coil, OK, but it will have output like humbucker.

BTW Lace Gold was my first choice, SSL-4 Quarter pound flat was my second choice (Tech wrote me that Seymour Duncan SSL-4 is copy of Lace Golds. He think that better sound have SSL-7, because they are more brighter - and that was what Ritchie like). When I wrote some lines with Ritchie´s tech a decided for Hot Gold.

Return to “Guitar Pickups”