Moderator: longfxukxnhair

ufguy73
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 3 times

YJM Boost Problem?

Postby ufguy73 » 07 Jul 2012, 14:55

Hey guys - I posted this on another forum but thought there is so much knowledge here I would try my luck twice!

Just recently received my second (let the first one foolishly go) YJM head and am loving it - BUT, there is definitely something up with my Boost. Even with the NG not engaged I will be playing at volume and all of a sudden my volume will drop in half for a little while and then come back to full volume again.

it is almost like maybe there is an incomplete connection or join somewhere - I dont suppose there is any chance that a particular preamp tube position is responsible solely for the Boost? I dont know if it's a tube though because the amp seems to work perfectly fine when the Boost is not engaged...but in some ways I was hoping maybe it could be as easy as a preamp tube swap or something.

incidentally, i did run the autobias for the correct range when i first received the amp - i thought i was through the woods since there was no problem with the procedure, which i know others have suffered from...but i guess i was happy too soon!

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: YJM Boost Problem?

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Jul 2012, 17:24

There is no tube that controls the booster, the booster is all solid state. The fourth preamp tube on the YJM is for the noise gate and reverb so you won't lose volume when engaged.

Are you running any other pedals (front or loop) when this happens?
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

ufguy73
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby ufguy73 » 07 Jul 2012, 21:31

no other pedals, just the yjm and built-in boost

snark
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 18 times
Been liked: 24 times

Postby snark » 07 Jul 2012, 21:34

Give me your exact settings on all controls and I will try to replicate on one of my YJMs if you like ...hope we can trouble shoot this for you

Papus
Paid to Shit
Paid to Shit
Has Liked: 80 times
Been liked: 896 times

Postby Papus » 08 Jul 2012, 01:14

Inconsistent power affects the attennuator
Dime that puppy!!!

Soulcaster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 499 times
Been liked: 350 times

Postby Soulcaster » 08 Jul 2012, 01:23

I think it sounds like a dodgy tube....take it back. Tubes have a 30 day or 3 month warranty if I remember correctly.

MARSHALL AFD100
REYNOLDS SKUNKWORX MODDED PLEXI100
MARSHAL CLASS 5
MARSHALL JCM900 4500
MARSHALL SLP1959
MARSHALL JCM800 2203
MARSHALL 2555x

ufguy73
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby ufguy73 » 08 Jul 2012, 14:50

snark wrote:Give me your exact settings on all controls and I will try to replicate on one of my YJMs if you like ...hope we can trouble shoot this for you
thanks a lot!

wouldn't you know, ive had a hell of a time getting the issue to surface again. Today, instead of an overall lowering of volume, i was exepriencing a sort of jagged decay of single lead notes (almost like a cutting in-and-out static type thing).

I basically had everything dimed - no jumpering, lead I volume on full, all tone controls on full, NG off and Boost volume and gain on full. I was also using the bridge pickup on an R9 LP with volume and tone on full. I can't say I would actually use these settings but since I just received the amp I was doing a lot of playing around and once I found this issue I sort of tried to hone in on it.

someone posted something to me on another forum:

'what happens over there with the boost (you dimed it right?) sounds very much like a phenomenon called blocking distortion...
the signal into one of the tube gain stages is probably too high, so its control grid becomes so positive that it starts to draw current... electrons being emitted by the cathode can't reach the plate (anode) anymore, as the control grid is sucking them up... pretty much the gain stage starts acting like a diode instead of a triode and the signal is "walking into a dead end" for a split second...
it is not something that you can call faulty, you simply put too much signal into that stage, which can be caused by either too much gain provided by the boost and/or high output pickups

it happened to me as well with the AFD100... just dial the boost a bit back and you should be OK '

has anyone else had problems when diming the amp volume and Boost volume and gain knobs??

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”