Is the YJM100 the amp for me? or should I buy a 2203?

Yngwie Malmsteen's YJM

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Is the YJM100 the amp for me? or should I buy a 2203?

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Jul 2012, 10:29

I think the 1 watters sound better at that decibel level, but like anything else with amp, that is subjective. The EPA is not really there to use a YJM in the bedroom but rather dial in the amp for smaller venues.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

tritono
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Postby tritono » 30 Jul 2012, 22:57

Hey, Im almost a new official YJM owner. Today I did an international bank transfer. I bought an YJM100. Tomorrow the company will receive the money. Then in two to three weeks the amp will arrive in my country. And then it will need like three weeks because the custom house sucks here. So, If Im very lucky in a month or month and a half I'll get the YJM100. In other words, I'll get my first tube amp ever... I needed and wished one for years. I can hear and feel the crap tone of digital or solid state amps.

I dont know if this is the amp for me, but what I know is that I need to try the head. I have a feeling that I need to go to the roots and find a non fatiguing-warm-inspiring tone. And from there keep building.

I need to ask: what do you think about the 1960a or b cabinet? in my country the only decent 4x12 option available is that model. Maybe a 4x12 can be overkill for my situation (home use) but I really need to have one. You know, Im looking for the "real thing"!. Im tired of bad tone. I need power and get real.

We are almost in the same family now! :D

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 31 Jul 2012, 15:08

Congrats and good luck with your YJM when it arrives. It´s a great amp. According to the cab it´s all a matter of personal taste. And the only one who can be the judge of what you like is you by trying them. Me i don´t like the 75W Celestions that´s in the 1960 A and B cabs. But Yngwie is using them so. And i prefer B cabs. But on small stages were you stand close to the cab the A cab can have an advantage since the upper speakers are pointed a bit upwards so it´ll be easier for you to hear yourself.

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 22 Aug 2012, 16:32

Hello, I need to ask for opinions.

Im having alot of problems getting a YJM100. Im the OP of this thread. I deposited the money for the YJM100 thinking that all was good (I posted here about that I'll need to wait like two months to get the YJM100 due to shipping + customhouse) but then the f*cking irresponsible company from where I was buying the amp said to me that they dont have the amp in stock and that they cant get one so that I need to pick other amp. I said No. So now Im dealing with them to get my money back. Then suddenly the amp appears in other webshop page and I bought it (with other money, I have dont receive the initial money yet). I confirmated all the shipping costs and all details with the new company so I deposited 1.351 euros to this new company and after a week they are saying tp me that the amp exceeds the shipping limit.. so I dont know what to do, I can try to call via telephone and ask for a very expensive Fedex shipping or get my money back. Im seriously considering to not buy the YJM100 and get other amp because it is getting very expensive for me.

I have read some posts saying that for home use or small gigs there are others amps that sounds better than the YJM100. I need to ask: what amps? I'll not play huge gigs, Im looking for a studio/practice/small gigs amps that has the balls and tone of the big amps, because that reason I was choosing the YJM100 even when I dont know if it has the gain that I need or if it would sound good in my homestudio.

I have researched for months even years about what tube amp buy. From the actual options in the market the YJM100 or the AFD100 seems to be the better organic sounding options without going custom. I dont consider the AFD an option because I cant buy it from anywhere. In order to get the YJM100 I'll need to pay alot, and Im considering get a cheaper amp and use more intelligently the money. So what amps models do you recommend that sounds better or equal than the YJM100 at decent volumes?

Thanks for the information.

John 14:6
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 98 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby John 14:6 » 23 Aug 2012, 10:17

tritono wrote:Hello, I need to ask for opinions.

Im having alot of problems getting a YJM100. Im the OP of this thread. I deposited the money for the YJM100 thinking that all was good (I posted here about that I'll need to wait like two months to get the YJM100 due to shipping + customhouse) but then the f*cking irresponsible company from where I was buying the amp said to me that they dont have the amp in stock and that they cant get one so that I need to pick other amp. I said No. So now Im dealing with them to get my money back. Then suddenly the amp appears in other webshop page and I bought it (with other money, I have dont receive the initial money yet). I confirmated all the shipping costs and all details with the new company so I deposited 1.351 euros to this new company and after a week they are saying tp me that the amp exceeds the shipping limit.. so I dont know what to do, I can try to call via telephone and ask for a very expensive Fedex shipping or get my money back. Im seriously considering to not buy the YJM100 and get other amp because it is getting very expensive for me.

I have read some posts saying that for home use or small gigs there are others amps that sounds better than the YJM100. I need to ask: what amps? I'll not play huge gigs, Im looking for a studio/practice/small gigs amps that has the balls and tone of the big amps, because that reason I was choosing the YJM100 even when I dont know if it has the gain that I need or if it would sound good in my homestudio.

I have researched for months even years about what tube amp buy. From the actual options in the market the YJM100 or the AFD100 seems to be the better organic sounding options without going custom. I dont consider the AFD an option because I cant buy it from anywhere. In order to get the YJM100 I'll need to pay alot, and Im considering get a cheaper amp and use more intelligently the money. So what amps models do you recommend that sounds better or equal than the YJM100 at decent volumes?

Thanks for the information.
I am sorry to hear about your trouble getting a YJM100 Tritono. I wish I had some advice for you, but I do not have much experience with low wattabge tube amps other than the power scaling on the YJM100.
Friedman Smallbox 50, Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Fender 63 Relic Strat, Fender 56 Heavy Relic Strat and a bunch of pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVaUdKQsq-s

GuitarBuilder
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 288 times
Been liked: 204 times

Postby GuitarBuilder » 23 Aug 2012, 20:54

John 14:6 wrote:One more thought would be a Marshall JVM which has a ton of features and tones available and it also gets most of its sound (per design) from the pre amp. The JVM will still sound pretty darn good at low volumes and I think you will get pretty much any Marshall sound you could want out of it. The amp has great cleans, crunch and high gain tones. The JVM also has enough gain to kill a horse if you ever ran into a horse that had it coming. :bgrin
+1 on that, if it's gain you're after.....
Marshall 6100LM - 1960A Cab/G12T75
Marshall JVM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
Marshall JTM-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12H30
Marshall JMP-1H - 2061CX Cab/G12M20
Marshall JCM-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/Vintage 30
Marshall DSL-1H - Avatar G212 Cab/G12T75
BOSS Katana 100W Head

Kemper Profiler Rack

Custom Rockman Stage Head
Rockman Superhead 100W
Custom ADA MP-1, MP-1C, MP-2 Stage Head

Roland GR-20, GR-55, VG-99, BOSS GP-10, SY-300 Synths

Lots of Les Paul's and Strats

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 23 Aug 2012, 22:04

Thanks for the reply but the JVM's are not an option for me. I listened alot of demos of the JVM's line and I think they sounds too cold for my taste. Im not looking for a modern voiced amp. The main problem is that I dont know how much gain I need, I never had played a quality amp like the YJM100. Maybe the gain of the YJM100 is all I need... you know, Im considering pay the very expensive shipping and get the YJM100.. if the company accepts to ship the amp to me, I dont have any confirmation yet. Do you think that the YJM100 really worths the money compared to the other amps out there? I think I'll buy it if I have the opportunity.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 24 Aug 2012, 00:01

tritono wrote:Thanks for the reply but the JVM's are not an option for me. I listened alot of demos of the JVM's line and I think they sounds too cold for my taste. Im not looking for a modern voiced amp. The main problem is that I dont know how much gain I need, I never had played a quality amp like the YJM100. Maybe the gain of the YJM100 is all I need... you know, Im considering pay the very expensive shipping and get the YJM100.. if the company accepts to ship the amp to me, I dont have any confirmation yet. Do you think that the YJM100 really worths the money compared to the other amps out there? I think I'll buy it if I have the opportunity.
Seems to me like the YJM is what you are looking for ... the JVM and YJM are two very different amps. I've had both.
As far as gain you can hear & read this topic that has been updated today in the YJM section: YJM Boost Maxed at living room volumes!
Don't compromise if you can handle the extra expense .. it will be well worth it in the long run.
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 25 Sep 2012, 21:15

Hey :), I decided for the YJM100 and it will be shipped, finally, tomorrow or on thursday, I hope. I think it will arrive in my country before saturday if I have luck and probably I'll have it in my hands next week. I had a lot of problems in the process, seriously, it was very difficult to be able to buy the YJM100. I can write an entire book with the wild and dangerous adventure that I lived in order to get this head. Even the origin of the money has a strange history behind (nothing illegal). I live in Chile, the end of the world from a certain point of view. I could not buy the amp from USA or any webshop outside europe because the price is really expensive vs what I paid from a german webshop (in EUR currency). The amp is limited edition, heavyweight and many webshops simply dont send things like heavyweight tube heads to my country. Like I mentioned, first I bought the amp from http://www.musicstore.de and that shop SUCKS hard, seriously. I never ever will buy from them again, they are unscrupulous swindlers. I exchanged several mails with them before buy the amp, like ten mails. And even before I deposited the money (I needed to hire a private international bank transfer service, for which I needed to pay) I confirmed if everything was alright. So I deposited the money and days later they wrote me a mail saying that they not have the YJM100 in stock and that they will not have it again, so I can choose a "replacement". You know, that was a direct scam. I asked and confirmed every possible detail before I did the bank transfer. After alot of problems they deposited me my money but without the cost of the service that I hired for the bank transfer. It was one entire month the process, a waste of time, plus they sucks at customer service. However, in other german webshop only by luck -or fate- I was able to buy the head. And after a long process all is suppouse to be ready. They will ship my YJM100 I hope tomorrow. There are many details in between but I preffer to put my mind in the achievement and in rest. I think I'll be the only one with this head in the entire country where I live. I need to ask you all to please send good vibes to here and wish me the best getting this head. I really hope to receive the head in good form without any technical problems, not receive a lemon like some say.

The YJM100 will be my first tube head. I can hear the tonal benefits of tube amps and I know all the good things about them. I needed one since a lot of time. When the amp arrives the first time that I'll be able to listen to the head will be in a shop buying a 4x12 for her. I need to ask some questions regarding the first time that I'll turn on the amp. I know that the head need to be connected to the speakers. I want to bias the amp before hear it for first time. I have read the manual so I understand how to do that. But I dont know this:

- The Stand By switch needs to be turn on or off when I turn on the amp to do the bias?
- The Stand By switch needs to be turn on or off before I turn on the head on a daily basis? (generally speaking, not before a bias process)
- After I turn on the head what I do? I wait some minutes in Stand By on mode to warm the tubes?
- When I need to use the Stand By switch? I have some knowledge but I preffer to ask.

Thanks for the information. :Thumbs

< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby John 14:6 » 25 Sep 2012, 22:06

Congratulations on the amp Tritono, I am sure you will love it. With all tube amps you need to turn the power switch on first and wait 30 or 60 seconds to let the tubes heat up before taking the amp off Standby. Do the reverse when you turn the amp off and put the amp on standby for a few seconds before turning off the power switch.

To bias the amp follow the manual and adjust the little white dial to your desired bias setting. You do not want to bias it too hot or too cold. I bias my EL34 tubes at 38ma for 120 volts. This is on the hotter side of the middle range for biasing EL34's at 120 volts. Once you set the bias setting/range, then turn the power switch on while holding down the FX Loop button and half power switch button on the back of the amp. You can let go off the buttons once the lights start flashing on back. Once the button lights stop blinking or flashing then the tube failure LED's will doing their little light show and blink/flash. Be patient and after everything stops blinking/flashing you will then be ready to take the amp off standby and play the thing. If a tube is bad then one or more of the tube failure lights will light up and stay lit to indicate what tube or tubes are bad. I doubt you will have a bad tube or tube problem so don't worry about that.
Friedman Smallbox 50, Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Fender 63 Relic Strat, Fender 56 Heavy Relic Strat and a bunch of pedals.

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 26 Sep 2012, 15:06

John 14:6 wrote:Congratulations on the amp Tritono, I am sure you will love it. With all tube amps you need to turn the power switch on first and wait 30 or 60 seconds to let the tubes heat up before taking the amp off Standby. Do the reverse when you turn the amp off and put the amp on standby for a few seconds before turning off the power switch.

To bias the amp follow the manual and adjust the little white dial to your desired bias setting. You do not want to bias it too hot or too cold. I bias my EL34 tubes at 38ma for 120 volts. This is on the hotter side of the middle range for biasing EL34's at 120 volts. Once you set the bias setting/range, then turn the power switch on while holding down the FX Loop button and half power switch button on the back of the amp. You can let go off the buttons once the lights start flashing on back. Once the button lights stop blinking or flashing then the tube failure LED's will doing their little light show and blink/flash. Be patient and after everything stops blinking/flashing you will then be ready to take the amp off standby and play the thing. If a tube is bad then one or more of the tube failure lights will light up and stay lit to indicate what tube or tubes are bad. I doubt you will have a bad tube or tube problem so don't worry about that.
Thanks John for the information. I have the presentiment that I'll will feel myself identified with the sound of the YJM100 (I really hope so). Im very serious about tone, Im very intrigued about this head. I must admit that the waiting time is a torture :shredder. In my country the current voltage is 210 - 220v (I bought the head from Germany so I hope that it will come in the 230v format). Considering that I have read about the effects of hot/cold bias, Im looking to set the bias hot. Im thinking to set it in 41. I'll set the 41 bias, connect the head to the cabinnet, plug in into the electricity, hold the two buttons and turn on the amp with the Stand By switch in Off position. Is that ok?

I need to ask some others questions :).

- I'll try a 1960A and a 1960B, I dont know which cab I'll buy. In order to change between cabs what is the safe procedure with the head? I turn off the head, change cab and then turn on, wait 60 secs and start playing? or do I need to consider some waiting time in order to avoid to harm the tubes considering that I'll change between cabs alot of times before deciding what cab to buy?

- The YJM100 comes with a speaker cable? I know that it comes with the ferrari red patch cable but I saw some pictures of a small cable that I dont think is for the footswitch. If it comes with a speaker cable would be great! (I dont have one).

Thanks again for the information.

:Thumbs

< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts

Postby John 14:6 » 26 Sep 2012, 18:06

tritono wrote:
John 14:6 wrote:Congratulations on the amp Tritono, I am sure you will love it. With all tube amps you need to turn the power switch on first and wait 30 or 60 seconds to let the tubes heat up before taking the amp off Standby. Do the reverse when you turn the amp off and put the amp on standby for a few seconds before turning off the power switch.

Thanks John for the information. I have the presentiment that I'll will feel myself identified with the sound of the YJM100 (I really hope so). Im very serious about tone, Im very intrigued about this head. I must admit that the waiting time is a torture :shredder. In my country the current voltage is 210 - 220v (I bought the head from Germany so I hope that it will come in the 230v format). Considering that I have read about the effects of hot/cold bias, Im looking to set the bias hot. Im thinking to set it in 41. I'll set the 41 bias, connect the head to the cabinnet, plug in into the electricity, hold the two buttons and turn on the amp with the Stand By switch in Off position. Is that ok?

I need to ask some others questions :).

- I'll try a 1960A and a 1960B, I dont know which cab I'll buy. In order to change between cabs what is the safe procedure with the head? I turn off the head, change cab and then turn on, wait 60 secs and start playing? or do I need to consider some waiting time in order to avoid to harm the tubes considering that I'll change between cabs alot of times before deciding what cab to buy?

- The YJM100 comes with a speaker cable? I know that it comes with the ferrari red patch cable but I saw some pictures of a small cable that I dont think is for the footswitch. If it comes with a speaker cable would be great! (I dont have one).

Thanks again for the information.

:Thumbs
That sounds correct, but technically the standby switch is considered to be on when the amp is in standby. Once the standby switch is turned off sound will come through the speakers and the amp is on. The basic cheap Marshall speaker cable does come with the amp. The red patch cord is not a cheap one. Have fun!

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 26 Sep 2012, 22:15

John 14:6 wrote:That sounds correct, but technically the standby switch is considered to be on when the amp is in standby. Once the standby switch is turned off sound will come through the speakers and the amp is on. The basic cheap Marshall speaker cable does come with the amp. The red patch cord is not a cheap one. Have fun!
Thanks John. I understand that when the Stand By switch is on there isnt guitar sound, so if I want to play the stand by switch needs to be off.

Is correct if I do this when I go to the shop to buy a cab and try the YJM100 for first time? set the bias to 41 (I'll do that in my home), connect cab to head, plug the head into the electricity, hold the two buttons and turn it on to start bias, wait until the bias is finished, wait 60 sec, play guitar. Then after some minutes turn off the amp, change cab, turn on the amp, wait 60 secs, play and keep repeting the procedure until I choose a cab? Im looking for the technical correct procedure but I want to take good care of the valves too. Nothing will happen if I do that quickly waiting only 60 secs in order to compare better both 1960A vs 1960B cabs? (in that situation I wont need to turn the Stand By switch on in any moment, right?) I understand that I cant change cabs with the amp on or in stand by, right?

I have doubts also about where the volumes needs to be configured before turn on and off the amp?

I appreciate the info. Im pretty sure that I will have a lot of fun with the YJM100 head. It was a difficult mission but Im feeling very good, Im grateful about the opportunity to try this amp. The only problem is the waiting :jam but at least Im almost there.

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 02 Oct 2012, 15:37

Today I got the YJM100. It arrived at my country on 27. I needed to hire a custom agent. I chose to go to the airport and get it myself. If I had waited for the normal process, today UPS had moved it to headquartered and maybe tomorrow, probably on Thuesday I would have received my package. But the most important thing is that I dont trust nobody manipulating my amp, workers in courriers can be very agressive with the packages. So I chose to go personally to the airport and I brought it to my home. I was so happy on the way. The box of the YJM100 is huge! and the amp is heavy like we have read in all forums. When I arrived at my house I opened the box and WOW! I was speechless (Im). Its so beautiful. I dont like classic colors and Im not a classic guy but damn! is dreamy, a work of art. Precious. It seems to be in perfect condition and it comes with all you need: patch cable, speaker cable and a cable for the footswitch. All in this amp seems to have a lot of quality. Its very solid and sturdy, the amp breathes power and class. I feel like the meme "like a sir" lol. I cant try it for now because I need to buy a 4x12 and Im waiting for a friend and his car to be able to carry the 4x12 to my home. I think tomorrow or maybe on Thuesday I'll be able to buy a 4x12 and listen to my YJM100 for first time in the shop. I feel so good, if the amp sounds as it seen I'll be very happy. Just what I need. I only hope that the amp is working at his best integrity and that all tubes are in perfect condition too (a technical problem would be a nightmare for me). But I trust that life sent me a perfect condition YJM100. I deserve it. The crusade for the YJM100 ends. Now is just the beginning of the beginning. ;D

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 03 Oct 2012, 05:19

Congrats .. and ENJOY !!!
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”