tritono
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Bad tone with YJM100 + 1960B

Postby tritono » 05 Oct 2012, 20:57

Hi :), I really need opinions.

Today I bought a 1960B cabinet. I chose that cabinet for some reasons: in the video reviews from Marshall is used a 1960A (I think) with the YJM100, because Yngwie preffer the 1960 (that information is in various threads) and because a lot of users recommended that combination.

The history: I did not like at all the tone that I was getting in the shop but in my country there are only two cab speakers options: the celestions 75 or V30's. I have read some post of YJM100 users that say that V30's are not the best option for this amp. So I forced me to buy the 1960B with the mentality "I need to try for myself the cab in a quiet place for some days with the YJM100 to really know and not in a shop with a lot of exterior noise". I have not played too much with it for now (I bought it today) but Im not happy. To get the gain and balls that I need for my playing I need to turn On the Boost and the overall tone sounds not inspiring. I have the bias in 44 and that improved the tone but something is missing, maybe the mids, it sounds like a toy in some way (plus I have a lot of noise due to the single coils pickups). I have both channels dimmed and jumpered. I know that the YJM100 is a bright amp and that the Telecaster is really, really bright (Im very careful with the presence and trebble) and noisy. Regarding the telecaster I know that the guitar is not what I need for my style of playing and in fact I'll sell it and buy a electric guitar with mahogany body and humbuckers (I'll buy a Gibson SG).

I really need to know what is the experience with V30's speakers with the YJM100. For some reason I think that V30's will sound much better than the Celestion 75 on my 1960B with the YJM100.

Tomorrow I'll give to the 1960B another opportunity but Im almost sure that this cab is not what Im looking for. For styles of playing without need of high gain balls the cab sounds relatively decent. But with the Bost On it sounds awful.

I need to walk accompanied in this road. The YJM100 meant a lot of effort. I need to get a good warm inspiring tone of my new rig.

John 14:6
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 98 times
Been liked: 73 times

Re: Bad tone with YJM100 + 1960B

Postby John 14:6 » 05 Oct 2012, 23:18

The first things I would try would be a better speaker cable and a different overdrive pedal. I have a TS808 that is a lot fatter sounding than the stock boost which is the DOD YJM308 overdrive pedal circuit. I love both of them and switch between them depending on the tone I am going for. The YJM100 will not sound amazing until you turn the EPA up a little bit. You can stick a volume pedal in the loop to quiet down the amp some if you turn the EPA knob up higher. Try sticking a delay pedal in the loop also to warm things up. Sometimes when I use the stock booster while playing at low volumes I also use a Grey 250 modded DOD YJM308 overdrive pedal with the gain on zero and the level cranked in order to get some more sizzle and bite to my tone. You should be able to get tones like the ones in these clips from your amp. This is the sound of 60's, 70's and 80's rock.

Friedman Smallbox 50, Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Fender 63 Relic Strat, Fender 56 Heavy Relic Strat and a bunch of pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVaUdKQsq-s

Soulcaster
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 499 times
Been liked: 350 times

Postby Soulcaster » 06 Oct 2012, 01:43

I don't have much experience with the YJM but, since it's a new amp you will need to make your own adjustments to suit yourself as you get to know the amp. Tinker away, adjust knobs, read the YJM threads and I'd probably start without a pedal or effects atm.

The V30's although probably not the best option for the amp will need to break in over time as well. You could play a bass at reasonable levels through the cab for a while to speeden up the process.

There are a lot of good people here who I'm sure will help you along the way. Don't give up hope just yet.

MARSHALL AFD100
REYNOLDS SKUNKWORX MODDED PLEXI100
MARSHAL CLASS 5
MARSHALL JCM900 4500
MARSHALL SLP1959
MARSHALL JCM800 2203
MARSHALL 2555x

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 06 Oct 2012, 06:04

I have both a 1960BV and a 1960 BX cab and the BV was what i used most when i had my YJM´s. Sometimes i had a borrowed old JCM800 cab with 75W Celestions in it. Think it sounds great with V30´s. Try them out and see what you think. And as stated the YJM doesn´t sound that good on low volume.

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 06 Oct 2012, 19:47

Thanks for your help. Today I played, investigated and do everything that I can to made my tone better. I dont achieved good tone. Im sure that something is wrong, I cant believe that this amp sounds like this, even that I know that Im using the epa agressively at 1/4 - 2/4 max I dont believe that this amp sounds like the tone that Im getting. Before to comment further about my experience and ask some questions I need to know how I can be sure that all tubes are in good shape. All indicators leds are off but when the amp was on I saw that one of the small tubes is a lot less brighter than the others. Regarding the tall tubes, they produce the same light intensity, not like that the one of the small tubes that I mentioned. I have a feeling that something is bad or missing here. Let me know how I can identify a bad shape tube please. I contacted a experienced tech too, when he answer me I'll carry the amp to a revision. I need to be really sure that the amp and tubes are working in perfect shape before look further. I appreciate your help.

Mat_P
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 4 times
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Mat_P » 07 Oct 2012, 04:48

Tritono, you should really try to borrow a humbucker guitar somewhere and try again.
Doesn't sound as if you'd ever get happy with a Telecaster.

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 07 Oct 2012, 10:31

I have a RG1527z (Ibanez 7 string) and its the same. Its very cold the sound. And the Boost sonds like a Pod. In the demo of N'Stuff music he is using a stratocaster with single coils and the tone is a lot (but really a lot) warmer than what Im getting. I saw all the reviews, I know them from memory and in fact I have downloaded them to my hard drive. And Im not getting what I heared. For that reason Im thinking in a bad tube or something. I have a feeling that maybe one of the preamp tubes is in bad shape.

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 07 Oct 2012, 18:41

Today I dimmed both volumes and turned the EPA to 50% without and with boost and the tone was very bad. The louder the amp, the worst the tone that Im getting. Is thin, cold, not elastic, not enough responsive, not enough saturated and the Gate not work too well. Im trying to get a good tech that can evaluate my amp before change the cab for the Laney with V30'S. When I get more information about the health status of my amp and tubes I'll let you know. I trust to my ears and something is wrong, Im sure. This amp even at low volume is suppouse to sound better than my Fender Frontman 25r but I think they sound pretty similar in a bad way. I'll keep you updated.

Patrik
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 11 times
Been liked: 11 times

Postby Patrik » 08 Oct 2012, 05:15

My amp sounds great with the standard 1960 cab and EPA on 50% or more,
with or without booster, so yes, something must be wrong.
Gibson Les Paul Standard, Les Paul Custom, Les Paul Classic, SG Custom, SG Dickey Betts, SG Special
Fender Stratocaster
Marshall YJM 100, AFD 100, 4102, 2555 X, 1960A, 1936V

pleximaster
1-Watt Master
1-Watt Master
Has Liked: 44 times
Been liked: 173 times

Postby pleximaster » 08 Oct 2012, 06:32

I don't know the sound you are after. I have a YJM and mostly run vintage les Paul and strats I have an RG ibanze from my hair days and it doesn't sound as good as my traditional strats and lesters. I think it is designed old school but you should get an ok sound with the set up you got. Do you know anyone that are familiar with plexis hand have him try it out and see if it ok?

Plexi

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 08 Oct 2012, 10:20

Thanks for the input guys. Yesterday before bedtime I turned on the amp resigned and played a little with the RG1527z... for first time it sounds very, very good. With the Bost On maxed, Gate Off and a little of reverb (1/4) with almost all setings at 12 o'clock with the EPA at 0.05 in 50 watt mode with 41 bias it sounds very poweful and tasteful. I dont know what happened, maybe the tubes need to break up a little but I enjoyed the sound. The sound coming from the amp was very powerful and just I what I need for my riff stuff. However, I think that the problem is the cabinet. Today I turned EPA at 50% with same settings and there is a bad sound behind the tone, the sound that I commented that sounds like the hizz (I dont know the word) of digital emulators. But I listened and tried different things and seems to be that maybe something is loose inside the cabinet and for that reason at higher volumes something is poisoning the tone. Two days ago I dismantled the cab and all the speakers seemed to be very tight in place. However, the stick that is screwed to the back of the cabinet (the stick that is in the middle of the cab) was loose but it is suppouse to be tight with the cab closed because is screwed when the cab is closed. But maybe is loose anyway or something is bad. The problem is that this 1960B was the latest 1960B that is available in my country. So I dont have much options: make it work myself or change it for another cab of different brand basically. Im trying to get a experienced tube-4x12 player that can check my rig. If I can get the sound that I got yesterday but without that bad sound added I'll be happy. However, with the boost off, even when the tone that Im getting is better than the others days, I cant get the elastic warm tone that the guy of N'Stuff music got in his YJM100 review. I'll keep the research and fight.

Edit: I'll record some clips and I'll upload them for you to hear what Im achieving at the moment. Im moving to another room but I hope to have all together to record today. I think that is the best way that I have in order to transmit to you all what Im hearing.

John 14:6
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 98 times
Been liked: 73 times

Postby John 14:6 » 08 Oct 2012, 19:16

Bad or dirty power that has AC line noise or RFI/EMI interference can really mess with your tone too. I hope you get it figured out soon and can have some fun with the amp.
Friedman Smallbox 50, Fender Yngwie Malmsteen Strat, Fender Jeff Beck Strat, Fender 63 Relic Strat, Fender 56 Heavy Relic Strat and a bunch of pedals.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVaUdKQsq-s

blue
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 11 times

Postby blue » 09 Oct 2012, 02:45

it could be the new speakers too. before breaking in they can sound stiff and fizzy. unfortunately, the only way to break them in is with high volume.

i understand this could seem terrible, especially considering all you went through to get the amp. i hope it is easily resolved, and that the amp turns out to be what you wanted after all.

good luck

tritono
<25
<25

Postby tritono » 09 Oct 2012, 16:48

I appreciate the good intention. I like better the tone with the EPA at max that with the EPA at 50% because the unwanted noise is amplified and very prominent when I turn loud the amp. Im really sure that when I resolve this I'll be very, very happy with this head. I have not recorded yet but I have a quick question. In order to take out the tubes what I need to do?. The preamp tubes are surrounded by a black rubber and they feel very stiff in position. In order to get them out I need to gently move the tubes back and forth? or I need to take out the black rubber first? there is one pre amp tube that is covered with a silver cover. How I take out that cover? seems to be that the silver cover is embedded in the black rubber and its very stiff in position too. Can you tell me how to pull off the tubes and the silver cover? Im getting a tech to check the amp and Im asking in national forums for users of the 1960B in order to try others 1960B with this head to compare results. Thanks for the info.

Mat_P
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Been liked: 5 times

Postby Mat_P » 09 Oct 2012, 23:45

V1 has this silver cover, slidely push it and turn it about a quarter revolution before it's unlocked and ready to pull.
As for the valves, do not remove the black sealing, just move the valves gently fore and aft while pulling with care.

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”