Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Mike 56
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

YJM 100 noise gate issue

Postby Mike 56 » 24 Feb 2014, 20:31

The noise gate on my YJM is now acting like another volume control. When I activate the boost, it lowers the volume as I turn up the noise gate. Using the noise gate alone does the same for any overdrive pedals I'm using out front. There's a guy who posted this exact same problem on youtube. His demonstration showed the exact problem I'm experiencing.
It's not a tube, having tried a variety of preamp tubes in all locations as someone suggested. It's in the shop now, but my tech isn't sure how Marshall will respond to this. New noise gate processor chip? New pcb board? Everything is really hissy now without the gate. Even with EPA turned up all the way, I can't turn up the front volumes without an incredible amount of hiss.
My tech also wonders what kind (if any) support Marshall will provide in the future. After these parts become obsolete, what kind of amp will be be stuck with? I'm re-thinking my purchase. Everything was okay a few weeks ago.

Rev
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 33 times
Been liked: 25 times

Re: YJM 100 noise gate issue

Postby Rev » 26 Feb 2014, 18:21

Sorry for a delayed reply sir.

First, welcome to the forum!

That's my video, the YJM100 noise gate issue video on youtube. Sorry for the iPhone video!

MF member "Tripleinside" posted this on the MF:
My YJM's noise gate issue is fixed.

For those of you experiencing the noise gate symptoms i described in my earlier post, and if your amp is out of warranty, the problem comes from IC5 (on the noise gate PCB, not the main board).

The faulty IC5, is a RC4558D, which costs the whole lot of 0.20 cents from my local electronic shop, it is an SMD type component, so you'll need a decent soldering station (and patience) to replace it without damaging the board.

What a joy to fix the amp myself, and to get the noise gate working again !

Hope this helps someone someday...

Mike 56
<25
<25

Postby Mike 56 » 26 Feb 2014, 19:01

Ahhhhhh.....thank you so much for the information. My amp is currently in the shop. I "believe" it is still under warranty and I'm sure my tech will get the same information you've provided, from Marshall. (He's an authorized Marshall tech)
I also contacted Marshall, and they said that they carry ALL parts for this amp, so I'm hopefull that if there IS a problem
down the road, I'll be able to get some help.
I'm still concerned about the "hissy" sound that comes from turning up the front end volumes when the EPA on the back is turned up all
the way. I've heard some say it's a Tube issue. I've had other high gain amps that produce hiss, as well as some high gain pedals. But not this much.
Hmmmm. Guess I'll depend on the noise gate (once it's repaired) to help.
Anyone else out there experiencing problems with noise gate, boost or EPA?
I really enjoy the amp when working properly, but wonder if there are better options. (David Bray amps; Metro amps, etc.)
Comments?

AndrewW
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby AndrewW » 27 Feb 2014, 19:01

Has anyone found a solution to this?

I have a similar (maybe same) issue.

Amp tech was not able to fix. Tracing the circuits all appeared fine as a signal goes in and comes out.

But actually playing the amp is another story:
Input signal sounds weak. Like the guitar volume is almost off.
Attenuator jumps in volume more now than before.
The drive sounds flubby.
The gate clamps down on whole signal. Not just noise portion. So I have to turn it off.

My setup works fine with other amps. Also tested guitar straight to amp. Definitely amp problem.

Originally was the most amazing sounding amp. Now sounds like cr@p.

My amp tech suggests changing the fx board (distortion and gate circuit). But I'm worried it will be expensive and still not resolve the issue. He also spent time talking to Marshall here in Australia.

Appreciate your feedback and/or advice.

Thank you.

Mike 56
<25
<25

Postby Mike 56 » 01 Mar 2014, 17:36

Andrew......Read my response in the other recently posted discussion on this issue. Marshall IS aware of the problem and sent my amp tech a "replacement kit" to fix the problem. It's either a new pcb board containing the noise gate processor, or parts to replace the whole thing. I'll find out when I pick it up next week. My tech said it's an easy fix covered under the warranty. The fact that Marshall is aware of this means others are contacting them as well. They'll take care of it.

AndrewW
<25
<25
Been liked: 0

Postby AndrewW » 02 Mar 2014, 06:06

Thanks Mike 56. Just read your other post. A huge relief to be sure. Appreciate you letting us know.

Mike 56
<25
<25

Postby Mike 56 » 03 Mar 2014, 20:26

No problem. I'll let you know how my amp works when I get it back soon.

Fabiano33
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Fabiano33 » 15 May 2016, 11:45

Hello
I Just want to Know if your amp is repair with the kit replacement and if You Never the same pb.
My tech repair my amp 3 Times in two years and it's always the same pb. Ic5 on fx board. He ask to Marshall dealer in France and they said that a replacement kit doesn't exist...
I don't understand....
Thank

Fabiano33
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Fabiano33 » 30 May 2016, 07:02

Hello
I writed a letter at Marshall england and he send me "replacement kit" free. it's to bad that Marshall France don't Know this kit... Grrrr
So if You have the same problem you Know What to do!!

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”