Possible to control the footswtichable fuctions with midi?

Yngwie Malmsteen's YJM

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 11 times

Possible to control the footswtichable fuctions with midi?

Postby Steven Latch » 07 Apr 2011, 13:33

Well it's all in the question.

As the "stompware" footswitch only uses a standard guitar cable, I am guessing that it sends the amp sequences that correspond to each function to activate it.

Therefore it doesn't seem possible to control the functions of the amp using a midi switcher such as the voodoo lab control switcher.

Next question would be, if using a regular relay based switcher, which of the 4 functions would work (hopefully, the boost)

Can anyone confirm?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Possible to control the footswtichable fuctions with mid

Postby surfnorthwest » 07 Apr 2011, 14:04

No midi option on the YJM.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 07 Apr 2011, 22:34

I know but that wasn't really the question.

Midi switchers have jack relay outputs that can switch an amp function on and off using standard jack leads, as would a regular one button footswitch.

So the question behind my question would be: What happens when plugging a standard footswitch in the YJM? Would one of the functions react? The only function I would need to remote automatically would be the boost function so hopefully, there is one chance out of for that a standard switcher would trigger this function.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 08 Apr 2011, 07:34

Oh my bad, I understand. I don't know for sure until I can try it. Good question.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 08 Apr 2011, 12:17

Thanks a lot! Very kind of you...

In the worst case, I can always use the amp without the boost function on, and "midify" a boost pedal in my rack. I guess it would guess very similar results.

santiall
<200 Posts
<200 Posts
Has Liked: 10 times
Been liked: 141 times

Postby santiall » 17 Apr 2011, 22:04

It won't do anything, just ignore whatever is not the stompware pedal.

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 19 Apr 2011, 10:08

Thanks for your answer. While the stompware switch works fine it's a shame for those who would want to integrate the amp in a more complex setup. It's not a no-go for me as the amp has a lot to offer, but being able to remote switch some of the functions would have been the icing on the cake.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe

Postby surfnorthwest » 19 Apr 2011, 10:28

I think it is fair to keep in mind that the AFD project was done on what Slash wanted in a amp. The amp was not made to be all things to Marshall players.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 19 Apr 2011, 11:01

Sure. The artist defines what he want (Yngwie in this case rather than slash)

However, in the case of a proprietary switching system, this feature it has more to do with the fact that Marshall has its own patented switching system, which is great in its own right, than with the artist's choice.

Not trying to stir anything here, just pointing out that overall, the stompware makes it harder for guys like me who want to integrate the amp into another switching system, as it is possible with the great majority of amps on the market, that use standard relays. From this perspective, the JVM, for example, is great because it has both the stompware and a midi connection, which allows the user to choose. Granted, I can't imagine Yngwie asking for a midi amp... :-)

DSL100 Dude
< 300 Posts
< 300 Posts
Has Liked: 13 times
Been liked: 25 times

Postby DSL100 Dude » 25 Apr 2011, 22:00

I could see the thought on this.

While I am pretty lotech/notech, the idea of a midi control of the options does make sense for guys doing that kind of setup.

I was looking in to a full midi rig for a project not too long ago so I have found a new perspective on that whole deal. While the gig didn't work out for me, I can now see where it can be beneficial.

Now back to my guitar-cord-1987x...
1987x
DSL 100
Class 5
Class 5 Rojo
G30RCD
1960A

MKB
Diamond Member
Diamond Member
Has Liked: 5 times
Been liked: 96 times

Postby MKB » 26 Apr 2011, 11:27

If the YJM footswitch is like many of the other stompware footswitches in the Marshall line (using a standard guitar cable between the footswitch and amp), it is basically microcontroller based, and it talks to a microcontroller in the YJM itself. I seriously doubt if Marshall would give out any code details for the footswitch or YJM. If you are very clever, you could try looking at the switching signals with a logic analyzer, and reverse engineer it that way, but that would be difficult and there is an easier way to skin that cat.

You could possibly enable external midi switching by gutting a YJM footswitch and using its PCB as an interface between the midi switching system and the YJM. The midi switcher would need momentary switch outputs to activate the individual switches on the YJM footswitch, plus you would need to add jacks or a connector to access the individual switch terminals in the YJM footswitch. This would be the easiest and cheapest way to do it I'd think.

I just can't help having the nagging feeling that, buried inside the YJM, there is an unused microcontroller pin with a midi compatible UART on it. I haven't seen a schematic or code (would dearly love to though), but if I was writing the code, I'd have one in there if a pin was free. It's just too easy to set everything at 31.25Kbaud. Time for another cup of coffee, my mind is drifting.....

Steven Latch
<100 Posts
<100 Posts

Postby Steven Latch » 26 Apr 2011, 14:18

Thanks for these great suggestions. Hacking the controller to link each function to a relay switch could do the trick. Not something I could do myself but I could have it done easily.

Araman
<25
<25
Been liked: 1 time

Postby Araman » 02 Sep 2013, 13:20

....same problem...

I'm going to take the G-System in order to create a complete stuff with my Yjm100..

Anyone solve the problem how control the function (Boost, Reverb, Gate ..) via relay switching or midi? :help

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”