Moderator: longfxukxnhair

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Did I screw up?

Postby surfnorthwest » 30 Nov 2011, 17:45

Naw, Beck caught me with my pants down and took a picture and posted it on the internet. Beck and me go back a ways, no problem. I still hold that setting a head at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm can won't hurt anything.

Good thing you let me off the hook, I was about to get up in 'yer hillbilly ass.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 02 Dec 2011, 16:53

surlybastard wrote:I'm to understand when you say 'greater load' it means *less* ohms when talking about this, I may be completely wrong about this
Greater load means *more* ohms, not less. For example, 16 ohms is a greater load than an 8 ohm. :Cheers

surfnorthwest wrote:Naw, Beck caught me with my pants down and took a picture and posted it on the internet. Beck and me go back a ways, no problem. I still hold that setting a head at 8 ohms into a 16 ohm can won't hurt anything.
Surf, that deal is still on. You know, the one where you trade me that Carvin guitar for the negatives.

Glad you are able to take some valid correction without letting ego get in the way, which is what I've always believed. Thanks for being a man. But you're still wrong. :bgrin

It probably won't hurt anything to use it as you say, as I made great pains to state (2:1 ratio and all that), especially if it's not turned up too loud. But as you seem to like to turn yours up pretty loud, it's not out of the question that you could damage your transformer or tubes. Yet another reason not to use an attenuator into a higher impedance, by the way (which of course you don't). I'm with you on attenuators.

It's all right to go believing that but please don't be instructing the less experienced guys in wrong ideas. I could have listed 100 other experts or cited physics books too but just took the top couple that popped up on a search. Anybody who still wants to stubbornly cling to this myth can do the research and you won't find anyone saying what you said. I used to believe that too because it seems intuitive. Be like the Bereans, and "search the scriptures (or RCA Radio and Receiving Manual in this case) daily to see if these things are so".

For anybody saying I gave Surf a rough handling, give it a break. We get along fine. As head honcho and all around go-to source of reliable information, it's his responsibility to get his facts straight. I didn't have any pink ribbons or lacey things to wrap the message in. That was a gentle ball kick, delivered with love. I care more about the truth than I do some girly men's feelings (definitely not Surf). But some others..... :whatever Had I meant to be rough, his balls would be up around his ears after a rough kicking.

Even the Master agrees with me. "For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall much be required: and to whom men have committed much, of him they will ask for more." - Luke 12:48

Thanks, Jesus :ntworth

As for dispensing pearls of wisdom, I will need to carefully consider whether it's really worth trying to correct bad information in the future because I wouldn't want to hurt anybody's feelings. I don't want to get rended by some "wild things" out there.

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you." - Matt 7:6

If the foo shits, step into it and wear it. :winking
surfnorthwest wrote: Good thing you let me off the hook, I was about to get up in 'yer hillbilly ass.
You got the ass part correct. :loser

-- Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:59 pm --
wildone wrote:
. I have also ran the head at 8ohms into a 16ohm cabinet, no problem. Are you saying this is wrong?
:wasted
DUMBASS

Way to hand Surf his ass Beck, idiot. He has got to be the stupidest member here, about time someone called him out on his bullshit. Thats right Surf, leave the technical facts to the experts. Like Beck-ola said, your an epic fail. Stick to managing the board and making an ass of yourself. If it wern't for Beck you would have guys blowing up there amps.
That was hilarious, asshole. :bird

You win the prize, Gomer. I fully expected some of the camp followers to misunderstand where I was coming from. Better get back to your still because I saw some revenooers coming your way.

When you get done kissing Surf's butt you can kiss this too. :moon

But again, pearls before swine. C-Ya!
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Postby surfnorthwest » 02 Dec 2011, 19:20

Glad you are able to take some valid correction without letting ego get in the way,
Well, almost 7000 posts so I am allowed to step in it once and awhile. :dunno :tounge Beside I have no ego, I have seen Trower 10 times. :cowbell

Speaking of OHMS, I just picked up a mint Marshall 9200 to pair with my ENGL Preamp, good lord does this setup sound good.

I have the premp going into each side of this amp and then I hooked up two 16 ohm 4x12s to both 100 watt sides, f'ing brutal. The amp like I say is mint, ran it down to my amp tech today and we put 8 new 6L6 Winged C in it and TubeStore Prefered's 7025s in the preamp. Here is a shot of it mounted I took today, I ran out of room in my rack.
Attachments
IMA130t.jpg
IMA130t.jpg (165.61 KiB) Viewed 907 times
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Beck-Ola
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Has Liked: 24 times
Been liked: 13 times

Postby Beck-Ola » 03 Dec 2011, 08:25

It's all good. :chill

Just hate to know that someday, somewhere a guy is going to blow his amp up from following the wrong advice that he read somewhere on the internet that it's safer to go upwards than downwards in a mismatch. :bang

At least it won't be on me. Take care. :truce
Against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain. ~ Friedrich von Schiller

Kind of know how he feels.

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”