Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

YJM100 at Christmas day gig

Postby Mats A » 26 Dec 2011, 06:23

Used my YJM100 at a gig on Christmas day and was not happy with the sound. It sounded thin and without punch. Wonder why since i had the same settings as last rehearsal when it sounded so good. And not beeing able to boost the volume on solos is a problem. Miss the old days when the mixing guy did this. They must have become lazy with all the computerized stuff at the desk.

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: YJM100 at Christmas day gig

Postby surfnorthwest » 26 Dec 2011, 08:11

Many times the settings you have in your home are not going to sound good in the club. You have to consider the size and acoustics of the room the amp is in.
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

Mats A
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 108 times
Been liked: 199 times

Postby Mats A » 26 Dec 2011, 12:49

It wasn´t at home it was at one of the places i rehearse so it was pretty loud. I usually always have the tone controls set around 5 or 6 and volume on 8-10 on a 1959 Marshall.

gtrman
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 580 times
Been liked: 550 times

Postby gtrman » 27 Dec 2011, 04:20

Don't give up ... sometimes you need to use it on a few gigs .. and do some tweaking as well.
I now the frustration though .. been there MANY times.
It's such a HUGE difference in scenarios playing an amp:
1. At home
2. At rehearsals with the band
3. On gigs

The gigs part is the most important if the amp is primary to be used live.
And yes the locations vary and there are many factors in getting a good sound ... but you know you have the right amp when you do !
In my experience the hardest part is getting the flexibility in order - switching between cleans/crunch/solos/using different effects.
Getting all this to work takes time and effort ... and often is an ongoing task.

I had a great setup that I used for a few years .. a 2555 jubilee and 1960A + 1960B speakers.
Very happy with that sound through my Les Paul ... the only compromise was getting good cleans. It was passable but not great.
For practical reasons I am about to start using a combo now ... we'll see how that turns out ...
Fractal AX-8
Axe-Fx III

Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Caramelized Ash
Charvel Guthrie Govan Signature HSH Flame Maple
Suhr 80's Shred MKII Tiger Stripe
Gibson LP VOS 57 Goldtop
PRS John Mayer Silver Sky Horizon

Cardinal Synne
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 2 times

Postby Cardinal Synne » 27 Dec 2011, 14:35

I have noticed that when you play in a band situation it is not a case of using your bedroom setting with less EPA. I found that I need to turn down the front volume and boost a bit as it was too distorted and harsh. I also wasn't too happy with the tone change when switching between solo and rhythm volumes using my EQ pedal in the loop even though it sounded ok at lower volumes. Decided that I need to do a lot more experimenting at band practices before I use it at a gig again and have stuck with my trusty Engl Blackmore for the last major gig. I'm sure it is a case of finding the right combinations. Have recently acquired a subtle volume control pedal similar to what Scott Henderson uses to see whether that gets better results. It constantly amazes me how different equipment is in gig playing scenarios which is why youtube bedroom demos are dangerous things to rely on when considering buying new kit.

Return to “Marshall YJM 100”