Haze 40 mods for JCM 800

Haze 40watt and 15 watt

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Forum rules
HAZE MHZ 15 HEAD- 15W, guitar head-unit, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X 6V6, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, nine knobs (effects adjust, effects depth, r, b, m, t, OD v, OD g, Clean v), power switch, effects switch, channel switch, bright switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 20.5 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ 40C COMBO - 40W, 1-12 in. Celestion G12T-66 speaker, guitar combo, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X EL34, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, 10 knobs (Normal Ch. v, OD Ch. v, OD Ch. g, t, m, b, p, r, effect depth, effects adjust), bright switch, boost switch (Normal Ch.), channel switch, boost switch (OD Ch.), effects switch, standby switch, power switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 44.7 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ112 SPEAKER CABINET - 1-12 in. Celestion G12-66 Marquee speaker, closed back, straight or angled front, designed for use with the Haze MHZ 15 Head, black covering, dark gray grille cloth with white piping and white script Marshall logo, mfg. 2009-2012.

Wicked_Tone
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Haze 40 mods for JCM 800

Postby Wicked_Tone » 10 Feb 2013, 21:04

This is my first post here and I want to say 'Hello' to everyone here at this site and the Haze forum section. I wanted to share my personal experience on implementing a few mods to my Haze 40 combo. I'm sure most of you here may or may not have viewed this link to another forum that an OP was kind enough to share the mod info in detail to achieve a JCM 800 sound by changing a series of caps and resistor values.

Haze Mod

I modded my amp with the first 5 capacitor changes and didn't change the resistor values. I loved the changes made by just making these adjustments. The amp still has a clean channel and the overdrive has more mids, highs and the bottom end is no longer muddy sounding. IMHO the amp has a more convincing plexi sound as it is smooth, but has a nice crunch. Excellent for classic rock and hard rock sounds, especially with the boost on. Has anyone else tried other mods to the amp?

surfnorthwest
El Jefe
El Jefe
Has Liked: 4353 times
Been liked: 7813 times

Re: Haze 40 mods for JCM 800

Postby surfnorthwest » 11 Feb 2013, 05:59

Sounds like a worthwhile mod, always thought the Haze never got its due. The engineer who designed the Haze is also a JCM800 player and more recently designed the JCM1.

Welcome to the Roadhouse
My Gear
Surf's Jukebox

'When I Don't Have Anything Interesting to Play, I just Play Fast' But then who wants to hear 64 bars full of 32nd-notes except the douche-bag blowing them from the stage.

jhall
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 5 times

Re: Haze 40 mods for JCM 800

Postby jhall » 31 Aug 2013, 13:43

I did the Cap 73 snip, the 1nf mod to Cap 72. I did the Negative feedback loop resistor (R104) to 100K.
The R23 to 1.5K. These mods I kept as the amp turned into a killer Plexi-JCM800 hybrid. I did the C48 470PF and jumpered a 470PF cap over R23 also.
I didn't keep the C48 and R23+c mod as the amp became way way too bright.
The amp has a Vintage 30 in it so that may have had an effect but I love the amp the way it is now!!
It also has Svetlana winged C EL-34s and I biased them to 39 ma ea. GREAT amp with killer tone. :jam :cowbell :headbanger :United_States :United_Kingdom :smash :metal :slash

Return to “Marshall Haze”