KT66 (6L6) conversion?

Haze 40watt and 15 watt

Moderator: longfxukxnhair

Forum rules
HAZE MHZ 15 HEAD- 15W, guitar head-unit, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X 6V6, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, nine knobs (effects adjust, effects depth, r, b, m, t, OD v, OD g, Clean v), power switch, effects switch, channel switch, bright switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 20.5 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ 40C COMBO - 40W, 1-12 in. Celestion G12T-66 speaker, guitar combo, five-tube chassis, preamp: 3 X ECC83, power: 2 X EL34, solid-state rectifier, two channels, reverb, echo, vibe, chorus, front gold control panel, single input, 10 knobs (Normal Ch. v, OD Ch. v, OD Ch. g, t, m, b, p, r, effect depth, effects adjust), bright switch, boost switch (Normal Ch.), channel switch, boost switch (OD Ch.), effects switch, standby switch, power switch, rear panel: emulated line out, two speaker jacks (16 ohm, 8 ohm), effects loop with on/off switch, footswitch jack, two-button footswitch included, black covering, gray grille with white piping and white script Marshall logo, 44.7 lbs., mfg. 2009-2012.

HAZE MHZ112 SPEAKER CABINET - 1-12 in. Celestion G12-66 Marquee speaker, closed back, straight or angled front, designed for use with the Haze MHZ 15 Head, black covering, dark gray grille cloth with white piping and white script Marshall logo, mfg. 2009-2012.

malc_p
<25
<25
Has Liked: 0
Been liked: 0

KT66 (6L6) conversion?

Postby malc_p » 09 Sep 2014, 11:04

Hi guys
New to the forum (but not to Marshalls) so please be gentle with me!
I'm picking up a Haze40 at the weekend and after I've spent some time checking it out (I have an SG with Burstbuckers in it plus a strat with Bareknuckle Rory Gallaghers) I may find that I want to try some of the tweaks mentioned in this forum. One thing I would really like to try, though, is a pair of JJ KT66's that I have lurking around; trying to get the early plexi smoothness?

Should really be just a bias setup(32 - 35ma or so should do it), I tried them in my JTM60 and they were OK, but I'm wondering if anyone's modded a Haze 40 to use them?

Thanks

Malc

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted
Has Liked: 2610 times
Been liked: 2688 times

Re: KT66 (6L6) conversion?

Postby Anitoli » 14 Sep 2014, 07:07

The smoothness of the Plexi that you are reffering to is more than just the power tubes. It takes the combination of all of the amps stages to really produce that tone. You can get very close but 9 out of ten times these mods don't give you what you are looking for. Unless you really know what you are doing you are better off sticking with the tubes that the amp was designed for. A lot less headaches that way.

malc_p
<25
<25

Postby malc_p » 14 Sep 2014, 10:39

Yup Anitoli I get your point, you can't make an amp sound like a 1967 plexi unless it's a 1967 plexi...
However, the character of an amp is, as you rightly say, contingent on all the various factors - quality of component, voltages, tolerances, sheer luck and so on but you can gently steer it in the direction you want with judicious substitution and tweaking. So, once I've got the hang of how this one initially sounds with the SG and the Strat and can form my opinion of it's 'basepoint' sound, I fancy doing some experimentation (I am a qualified electronic engineer and spent my training years learning on valve gear). I was really putting my toe in the water to see if anyone's tried KT66's in a Haze 40 and what they thought of them, is all.
That, and I'm a born meddler!
*This* is my Holy Grail tone (yes yes I know, pie in the sky, four 4X12's with G12/30's etc...): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWTJVNPu_r4

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Anitoli » 14 Sep 2014, 11:14

Isn't the Haze 40 originally manufactured for EL34's? Was this head converted to 6L6GC's?

As in the Vintage Modern the KT66 is not a suitable drop in for the EL34/6L6GC due to the large differnce in plate impedence. The transformer's primary winding will not match the KT66, resulting in a more innefficient operating amp.

malc_p
<25
<25

Postby malc_p » 14 Sep 2014, 11:50

Seems to depend on which source you read...posters on the Gear Page seem to be of the opinion that they're broadly similar; ditto MetroAmp. One other place I looked thought you'd need to use a 16ohm speaker on the 8 ohm tap but I can't find corroboration of that anywhere else. I'll keep a watch on anode current and hence dissipation if I ever get round to trying it. It will only make a difference to the sound at power levels above 8 or so anyway so it may be unnecessary as I'll rarely be using it at that level.

Anitoli
Knighted
Knighted

Postby Anitoli » 14 Sep 2014, 13:13

KT66's also have a higher heater current draw if they are the original ones, not the 6L6GC's stuffed into a bigger bottle made by JJ..... :bgrin

Return to “Marshall Haze”